Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did BOS do in 60-61, 63-64, and 66-67? Those winters were about 60", 44", and near 60" respectively in the NYC area.

-PDO/-NAO can definitely be a good pattern in our neck of the woods as well, though the bigger snow years in the 60s as mentioned involved the PDO warming during the winter (60-61 was +PDO, 63-64 and 66-67 were 0 to -1 PDO). If we can at least get the PDO away from -2 like we're at right now, and up toward -1, I'd be more optimistic. I highly doubt we'll surge positive ala 1960-61 this winter, but there's a chance we get up into the 0 to -1 range. Obviously the NAO is important as well (I don't think we'll have a good read on that until November).

1960-61 in Teaneck when I was in 8th grade was heaven. Somehow standing outside in a blizzard December 12th of 1960 was a weenie highlight. Heavy snow, blowing and drifting, 10F.

Nice sneaky coastal low trying to approach this week. The highs will be cool for the most part.

Yeah...I did a double take on that this AM. Ens have it too. Ens aren't as torchy in the extended either. It's still AN for a bit, but nothing exceptional for a long period.

Archived