• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

Temp dropped nearly ten degrees while we were in Mass feels great!

Yep that front was pretty cool... it was 58F at 6am and 49F at 6pm lol.

I love how we are at the time of year when temps can drop regardless of time of day...its not July anymore when a FROPA at 1pm drops temps only to see them rebound at 4-6pm.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep that front was pretty cool... it was 58F at 6am and 49F at 6pm lol.

I love how we are at the time of year when temps can drop regardless of time of day...its not July anymore when a FROPA at 1pm drops temps only to see them rebound at 4-6pm.

Great points, it was a different airmass when we opened the doors an hour later, pretty cool and finally, finally feels autumnal!

I guess. I have a lot of bare trees around here too, but when you actually look around, most of them have most of their leaves. I'm at 950 feet at a higher latitude than you, so I guess I'm just saying perhaps you having selective observation. This year isn't really different from climo. Last two years were just slow.

There was an impressive leaf drop today, though. First big one of the year (gusty wind def helped)

God bless Weatherma and all those who were not around for the 80s and early 90s prior to dec '92. They have no idea how bad it was.

Amen.

If we had another period like the 80s here in winter...I cannot imagine the garbage that would be spewed.

We probably would leave the board.

It would probably be something like this:

1.) global warming means it doesn't snow anymore

2.) we have a new climate....never again will we get winters like the 2000s

3.) snowy Decembers are a thing of the past (80s Decembers were horrific)

It would probably be something like this:

1.) global warming means it doesn't snow anymore

2.) we have a new climate....never again will we get winters like the 2000s

3.) snowy Decembers are a thing of the past (80s Decembers were horrific)

The rhetoric would be beyond painful. Lets just not go there.

Man it's so funny though. My parents have me on video complaining about no snow in one of the sh*tty 80s winters. I just remember hearing from

them how we don't have winters like they had anymore. I thought I was doomed, then December '92 came.

The rhetoric would be beyond painful. Lets just not go there.

Man it's so funny though. My parents have me on video complaining about no snow in one of the sh*tty 80s winters. I just remember hearing from

them how we don't have winters like they had anymore. I thought I was doomed, then December '92 came.

My parents and aunts/uncles kept telling me they "dont make them like they used to"....they changed that rhetoric pretty quickly after that.

After 2000-2001 my mom was ready to give up. She said the snow in N ORH county (she is a pharmaceutical rep who had to go in that territory) was ridiculous. She said the cold and snow that March and April made her childhood look like childs play. She told me there was regular snow piles (not just in big parking lots) all over the place even in early May 2001 when she went on her Gardner visits.

I still can't believe how the 60s had no huge blockbuster winters with such a favorable patten. Just solid winters. At least for BOS.

How did BOS do in 60-61, 63-64, and 66-67? Those winters were about 60", 44", and near 60" respectively in the NYC area.

-PDO/-NAO can definitely be a good pattern in our neck of the woods as well, though the bigger snow years in the 60s as mentioned involved the PDO warming during the winter (60-61 was +PDO, 63-64 and 66-67 were 0 to -1 PDO). If we can at least get the PDO away from -2 like we're at right now, and up toward -1, I'd be more optimistic. I highly doubt we'll surge positive ala 1960-61 this winter, but there's a chance we get up into the 0 to -1 range. Obviously the NAO is important as well (I don't think we'll have a good read on that until November).

How did BOS do in 60-61, 63-64, and 66-67? Those winters were about 60", 44", and near 60" respectively in the NYC area.

-PDO/-NAO can definitely be a good pattern in our neck of the woods as well, though the bigger snow years in the 60s as mentioned involved the PDO warming during the winter (60-61 was +PDO, 63-64 and 66-67 were 0 to -1 PDO). If we can at least get the PDO away from -2 like we're at right now, and up toward -1, I'd be more optimistic. I highly doubt we'll surge positive ala 1960-61 this winter, but there's a chance we get up into the 0 to -1 range. Obviously the NAO is important as well (I don't think we'll have a good read on that until November).

BOS was pretty muted in the 1960s winters...mostly just a consistent above average record. ORH was different...they had over 100" in 1960-1961 and 94" in 1966-1967...also Ray's area just NW of BOS by 15 miles had 1968-1969 with like 90" in addition to the big 1960-1961 winter there. Winters like 1965-1966 sturggled slightly in BOS (like 44-45") while ORH had 80.7"...well above average. It was a great decade for BOS without the mega blockbuster, but in the interior it was more prolific compared to climo. ORH never recorded a winter lower than 62.3" between 1955-1956 and 1971-1972 which is a span of 17 winters....that is remarkable. Never happened well before that time and hasn't happened since.

Archived