• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

Wow the foliage is like 10-15 days behind down here compared to back at Plymouth...not the best weekend to be home as the foliage is great up there right now. First time home since 8/28 this weekend.

75/57 under cloudy skies here right now...feels like how it did when I left at the end of August...I think it was colder then actually. ;)

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow the foliage is like 10-15 days behind down here compared to back at Plymouth...not the best weekend to be home as the foliage is great up there right now. First time home since 8/28 this weekend.

75/57 under cloudy skies here right now...feels like how it did when I left at the end of August...I think it was colder then actually. ;)

I was driving down around Lake quinsig yesterday and there is a pretty big difference around there compared to like Holden, MA near me. Probably a good week behind. We are starting to hit the ramp up in the hills around north and west of town and probably like 5-7 days away from the beginning of peak.

I was driving down around Lake quinsig yesterday and there is a pretty big difference around there compared to like Holden, MA near me. Probably a good week behind. We are starting to hit the ramp up in the hills around north and west of town and probably like 5-7 days away from the beginning of peak.

Makes sense...elevation always plays a huge factor. Plymouth is probably at peak this weekend and surrounding hills are probably at the end of their peak. We are planning to hike one of the mountains next weekend up there but it should be past peak by then. I'm sure it'll still be nice though...just past peak. Here at 470' we are probably 2 weeks away from peak still which feels late after being up at Plymouth...but that's normal for this location.

Makes sense...elevation always plays a huge factor. Plymouth is probably at peak this weekend and surrounding hills are probably at the end of their peak. We are planning to hike one of the mountains next weekend up there but it should be past peak by then. I'm sure it'll still be nice though...just past peak. Here at 470' we are probably 2 weeks away from peak still which feels late after being up at Plymouth...but that's normal for this location.

Yes this year we are pretty much right on time but it seems earlier because the past couple of autumns have been so mild. Peak in the hills here is usually around Oct 12-15. 2009 was the last year which we had a peak near or even slightly early. 2011 and 2010 were late. 2007 was really late.

Hey Weatherfalla.

Euro at 240 looks identical to GFS at 216. And certainly no torch. GFS a day faster? Looks like an indentical pattern. Wonder if the northern tier is going to get their cold shot...

1 day "torch" for us, 1 day "torch" for you guys. Everything in between looks very fallish except for the southern plains on east. This is interesting to say the least. Yeah there's a huge goa low but the GFS takes it and dives it south around that big southwest coast high... same feature is on the Euro. Hmmmm.... makes one wonder at least.

Hey Weatherfalla.

Euro at 240 looks identical to GFS at 216. And certainly no torch. GFS a day faster? Looks like an indentical pattern. Wonder if the northern tier is going to get their cold shot...

1 day "torch" for us, 1 day "torch" for you guys. Everything in between looks very fallish except for the southern plains on east. This is interesting to say the least. Yeah there's a huge goa low but the GFS takes it and dives it south around that big southwest coast high... same feature is on the Euro. Hmmmm.... makes one wonder at least.

Euro looks toasty at 240 for the central CONUS...we are at the tail end of a cold shot on the 240h Euro in New England. Huge GOA low on the 240h Euro.

Euro looks toasty at 240 for the central CONUS...we are at the tail end of a cold shot on the 240h Euro in New England. Huge GOA low on the 240h Euro.

Huge goa low on the 216 GFS too and look what it does with it, dives it south around the southwest coast high and eventually the EPO block comes back and lots of cold air follows into northern tier. Just saying, interesting and a very look-alike pattern, except GFS is a day faster. no surprise there, eh?

Hopefully the models are seeing perhaps some MJO assisted ridging in the AK area. Can't really get too excited with a semi permanent trough there. Kind of early to tell. It would be nice if Niño would not crap out. Maybe the area near the dateline can help us out.

The Nino was trying to fight the PDO for a while and was making some headway....but it looks like in this David vs Goliath battle, David is actually going to win. Usually the PDO loses to ENSO....however, maybe in this case it was the PDO that was Goliath. That thing has been a total monster.

Huge goa low on the 216 GFS too and look what it does with it, dives it south around the southwest coast high and eventually the EPO block comes back and lots of cold air follows into northern tier. Just saying, interesting and a very look-alike pattern, except GFS is a day faster. no surprise there, eh?

Bah, I'm talking fantasy land. I just find it interesting that both models are pretty much showing identical features out that far and are within a day of each other...

You guys are the experts and if you vote torch I am not one to argue...

Bah, I'm talking fantasy land. I just find it interesting that both models are pretty much showing identical features out that far and are within a day of each other...

The problem with the statement you are replying to (your own) is that the EPO is ridiculously positive on the 240h Euro. There is a huge dumbell low configurations with one in the GOA and one north of Barrow, AK....AK is in the freezer with low heights.

The configuration is a very positive AO look. Which isn't necessarily bad in October anyway. We want it to be positive in October going on stasticial probability for the liklihood of a winter -AO.

I think the only discouraging thing on the Euro and its ensembles is that the big AK vortex keeps wanting to come back. Its not a huge deal at this point, but if that thing is still over staying its welcome by mid November, we might be in trouble.

The problem with the statement you are replying to (your own) is that the EPO is ridiculously positive on the 240h Euro. There is a huge dumbell low configurations with one in the GOA and one north of Barrow, AK....AK is in the freezer with low heights.

The configuration is a very positive AO look. Which isn't necessarily bad in October anyway. We want it to be positive in October going on stasticial probability for the liklihood of a winter -AO.

I can't see half the stuff you're seeing with my limited resources so I will bow out. Thanks for the explanation.

I can't see half the stuff you're seeing with my limited resources so I will bow out. Thanks for the explanation.

Raleighwx from this site has good images in our model section

Here is the 10 day Euro height anomalies....note Alaska and GOA:

oqxf1z.jpg

Raleighwx from this site has good images in our model section

Here is the 10 day Euro height anomalies....not Alaska and GOA:

oqxf1z.jpg

Doesn't look tooo bad for the northern plains... any chance that nice blue stuff off the coast with dive south towards us like the GFS shows and not just sit there pumping heat up here? :whistle:

Half of the trees in my town are somewhat bare...just saying.

I guess. I have a lot of bare trees around here too, but when you actually look around, most of them have most of their leaves. I'm at 950 feet at a higher latitude than you, so I guess I'm just saying perhaps you having selective observation. This year isn't really different from climo. Last two years were just slow.

I guess. I have a lot of bare trees around here too, but when you actually look around, most of them have most of their leaves. I'm at 950 feet at a higher latitude than you, so I guess I'm just saying perhaps you having selective observation. This year isn't really different from climo. Last two years were just slow.

November was an exaggeration but it does look very autumnal around here.

Do you think you get more snow than me?

Archived