Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Rocktober like the old days. Bridging to winter

weathafella

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torching quickly here this morning bdr was already 69 at 9 am, 72 here at the moment. When does the cool air arrive..........any chance of having a fire tonight or is it post midnight>?

Post midnight.

The ironic thing is that tomorrow you will be one of the coldest places around thanks to rain arriving there first

Whats powderfreak at +30 for the month or something?

As I stated earlier...+8.8 but due to very high mins and low diurnal changes. This time of year a couple days of 64/58 like we had is >+10 but only because it's +20 overnight and near normal for a high. I just state it because the high mins are interesting to me but it certainly hasnt felt like a torch due to highs near average.

We have just been stuck within a few degrees of 60F for like 5 days.

Nothing is blooming up here though...in fact it's looking more and more like stick season.

As I stated earlier...+8.8 but due to very high mins and low diurnal changes. This time of year a couple days of 64/58 like we had is >+10 but only because it's +20 overnight and near normal for a high. I just state it because the high mins are interesting to me but it certainly hasnt felt like a torch due to highs near average.

We have just been stuck within a few degrees of 60F for like 5 days.

Nothing is blooming up here though...in fact it's looking more and more like stick season.

You posted in the nne thread about how you were torching yesterday? Temps around 70 or higher right?

LOL yeah exactly like that... but yellow.

Man we are torching up here right now. I've got full sun and my thermometer is showing 70F. I actually just moved on October 1st and am trying to find the right spot for my thermometer and so I was thinking that 70F might be a bit much, then I see that the base of the ski resort at 1,500ft is 68F right now... and 755ft in Wolcott is showing 73!

And regarding my move... I literally moved like a 1/4-1/3 mile from my previous spot, although I did lose about 30 feet of elevation. I'm more like 750ft now. And I'm still right under the "S" in "Stowe" on this temp map...

Yeah this was it

You posted in the nne thread about how you were torching yesterday? Temps around 70 or higher right?

Yesterday was the only sunny torch afternoon up here in the week. Everything else was a drizzly 60F mean with daily ranges under 5F. There was no frolicking through the fields holding hands.

Pipedream land, but d10 euro has afternoon 40s here (30s up into N NH/ME) and tickling 70 in SW CT. I love those days in fall and winter...in the spring, notsomuch.

Yeah it was darn chilly. Would love a good rain storm with a little wind thrown in.

BTW, perfect morning to be on the lake. Glass looking with little wind and actually fairly active with people on it. Even jetskiers.

The color differences across the state are amazing. Toward UConn and Blizz's direction things look pretty good. Then you get into the CT valley on 84 in Hartford and it looks like August still. Then, toward my house in Harwinton the color is either at peak, and in some cases past (bare leaves). Unbelievable.

Starting with the CT valley in Hartford, probably what 150' ASL?

post-640-0-54217600-1349473815_thumb.jpg

Then moving into Harwinton around 800' or so...

post-640-0-62377100-1349473845_thumb.jpg

Then Lake Harwinton at about 950'

post-640-0-30038700-1349473867_thumb.jpg

Then finally the highest point in town about .25 miles up the road at a little over 1120'. Notice the bare trees.

post-640-0-50856700-1349473894_thumb.jpg

Cool differences, definitely two different seasons just a short drive away.

Still not much color on the trees here. Maybe peak foliage will be around Thanksgiving?

refer to the above post lol

Yeah yesterday was 72F in the morning but settled back into the 60s during the afternoon with some clouds.

Normal is 61/38 right now. Like I said though, it's been the mins in the 55-60F range killing us, although yesterday was a +11 on the high.

I just don't want to spin it one way or another...I'm just posting what it has been. It will reverse this week with a few highs near 50F in the forecast and that's -10F so we'll see how it shakes out.

Yesterday was the only sunny torch afternoon up here in the week. Everything else was a drizzly 60F mean with daily ranges under 5F. There was no frolicking through the fields holding hands.

Bingo. Yesterday was the first day in a while with a high/low difference greater than 10F.

There were like 3-4 days where it seemed the thermometer was stuck on 60F with appreciable rainfall each day.

Yeah yesterday was 72F in the morning but settled back into the 60s during the afternoon with some clouds.

Normal is 61/38 right now. Like I said though, it's been the mins in the 55-60F range killing us, although yesterday was a +11 on the high.

I just don't want to spin it one way or another...I'm just posting what it has been. It will reverse this week with a few highs near 50F in the forecast and that's -10F so we'll see how it shakes out.

I would never guess your normal high is 61, that seems high.

Holding Hands, thats strange?

LOL, more like holding hands shucking oysters on Penfield beach.

That sounds like a plan, last year on Oct 10 we got to 85 and spent the day at Sasco Beach and watched some guy catch a huge bluefish surfcasting, put up the pic and everyone was shocked at how little color there was in the trees, this year is the exact same. We are heading to the beach after Claire's soccer game if the clouds hold off, one last goodbye!

You have convinced me to get a bushel of blue points tonight, thanks for putting that in my head, have a great day Scott, hey........why not make it your best ever!

71/62

mostly sunny and summery

Holding Hands, thats strange?

That sounds like a plan, last year on Oct 10 we got to 85 and spent the day at Sasco Beach and watched some guy catch a huge bluefish surfcasting, put up the pic and everyone was shocked at how little color there was in the trees, this year is the exact same. We are heading to the beach after Claire's soccer game if the clouds hold off, one last goodbye!

You have convinced me to get a bushel of blue points tonight, thanks for putting that in my head, have a great day Scott, hey........why not make it your best ever!

71/62

mostly sunny and summery

I will. At the place I love right now.

I left late, like 8:30. There was some, but it was more like two lanes of full traffic moving at 60. Kind of annoying but it was moving.

Ah...you missed the I93 foliage. Scott was over this past week and he said he had little color at his place on the lake, but the color was nearing peak for much of the rt 3 drive to here. We were talking about the Halloween storm and how right on the shore they had almost nothing, yet they must have been pummeled on the top of Gunstock. The lake influence can be surprisingly wild at times.

Ah...you missed the I93 foliage. Scott was over this past week and he said he had little color at his place on the lake, but the color was nearing peak for much of the rt 3 drive to here. We were talking about the Halloween storm and how right on the shore they had almost nothing, yet they must have been pummeled on the top of Gunstock. The lake influence can be surprisingly wild at times.

I could see the color just from my headlights alone. Even on rt 25 this morning, it looked awesome. The low so far this season here was 37f and that's from an awful, but no choice place of positioning the sensor. I'm sure a little inland by less than half a mile had frost.

Archived