Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
GOES 13 Outage

phil882

Courtesy of NWS WFO BTV

• GOES-13 sounder fault tripped early Sunday morning, shutting down the sounder (recall... it was getting noisy)
  • In consultation with ITT, and Boeing, engineers turned off GOES-13 imager last evening in order to prevent any damage.
  • GOES-15 was put in full disk mode for more geographic coverage (not sure if the GINI's are handling this as designed with the GINILOOKEAST/WEST commands... I have email out to our AWIPS GINI folks to check...)
  • GOES-14, which is out of storage and has been imaging for GOES-R research, will be put in a GOES-East type of scan (looks like that is getting close as of this morning - see http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index.php?satellite=goes14&file=jpg We are working on getting GOES-14 data into N-AWIPS, it is on McIDAS ADDE)
  • GOES-15 data is being broadcast via GOES-13 GVAR... so products, remappers, etc... that look at GOES-East sectors and are making products, are making them off of GOES-15... this may be an issue... especially with NCEP data assimilation
  • Depending on status later, there may be decisions to put GOES-14 imager and sounder data through the GOES-13 GVAR stream to get users more east coast looking data, and putting GOES-15 back in normal scans. If this happens, there may be product creation challenges with new satellite? (science test worked out ok, I just don't know all the hoops that may be needed to use a new satellite this quickly)
  • GOES-12 is available via SSEC data servers, and SAB is using this for some volcano work since the data are covering South America
  • I sent email to NCEP NCO and EMC folks to discuss assimilation issues of GOES-14 or GOES-15 via the GOES-East data flows.

In essence Goes 14 will be the temporary fix

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/index.php?satellite=goes14&file=jpg

Yeah! :huh: I was looking at the images this morning and was wondering what was happening that the water vapor amount had increased so much... now I know it was a different satellite's calibration until they fixed it to match how GOES-13 was displaying.

I did see what may have been noise a few days ago and found it a little beautiful (not realizing it was a sign of failing equipment.) I am not certain this is the noise they are discussing but I saved an image.

post-8089-0-34420800-1348525276_thumb.jp

Guess we won't be getting any more SRSOR from the goes-14 for a while :(

"GOES-14 Imager will supply sample 1-min imagery. These tests started on 16 August 2012, with GOES-14 located near 105 degrees West, and are suspended until further notice, pending the outcome of GOES-13 status."

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/srsor/GOES-14_SRSOR.html

Nice writeup on the CIMSS blog about the satellite problems and coverage

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/

I finally read farther on this page and realized they discuss the noise itself two days before 13 was considered malfunctioning.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/11392

"increasing amounts of noise with a peak near 0830 UTC (when the loop pauses), before the noise relaxes. There seems, then, to be a diurnal component to the noisy behavior."

So, the problem seems to have been this sort of wave or vibration artifacting that would actually go away for part of the day. :blink: For some reason I find that fascinating and hope that someone from NASA will write about what this actually was!

It's not what I was expecting, the imaging capability did not seem to actually be damaged, but, temporarily showed a dynamic artifact.

I finally read farther on this page and realized they discuss the noise itself two days before 13 was considered malfunctioning.

http://cimss.ssec.wi.../archives/11392

"increasing amounts of noise with a peak near 0830 UTC (when the loop pauses), before the noise relaxes. There seems, then, to be a diurnal component to the noisy behavior."

So, the problem seems to have been this sort of wave or vibration artifacting that would actually go away for part of the day. :blink: For some reason I find that fascinating and hope that someone from NASA will write about what this actually was!

It's not what I was expecting, the imaging capability did not seem to actually be damaged, but, temporarily showed a dynamic artifact.

Still have no Idea what the noise is. The diernal component probably means it is not vibration related. (Unless there is some motorised component onboard that is only turned on during the day.) Maybe a breach in the RF shielding or a bad electrical connection that is temperature sensitive.

That type of image defect is usually caused by the rotating mirror motor loosing sync as it scans horizontally inside the imager. Usually due to bad bearings.

If this does turn out to indeed be the case this is the 3rd weather satellite to have bearings fail in the last 2 years.

No problem statement has been released, but the prognosis does not look good. Goes 14 is on it's way.

http://www.oso.noaa....-news/index.asp

GOES

NOTES: GOES-14 is drifting 0.90 degrees per day to the East towards the location of GOES-13 at 75 degrees West. Final location of GOES-14 is dependent upon the ongoing recovery of GOES-13. During this transition, direct readout users can continue to receive GOES-14 data via the GOES-13 GVAR broadcast stream from 75 degrees West, and will not have to repoint their antennas to GOES-14. GOES-13 imager and sounder remain out of service at this time.

Edit: Maneuver started October 1st from 105W. Goes 14 should be @ 75W on November 3rd or 4th.

That type of image defect is usually caused by the rotating mirror motor loosing sync as it scans horizontally inside the imager. Usually due to bad bearings.

It will be fun to look back here after they announce what they suspect has caused the problem and see that you were correct. : ) It sure sounds accurate.

Attached is a photo/composite from goes 14 from today... what was intriguing to me about the defect is that it is especially similar to the natural organizing structure of clouds!

post-8089-0-26357300-1349909743_thumb.jp

edit: waiting to find somewhere to upload it that it is in the correct size : )

Current martian probes in orbit around the Planet do have weather sensors on Board. I don't remember if the Martian Climate Orbiter was successful or not.

Steve

The climate orbiter failed initial circumnavigation and disintegrated in the atmosphere due to a unit measurement calculation error in the telemetry programming. It was a sad day at LMCO, for sure.

The MARS Color Imager (MARCI) on the Mars Recon Orbiter captures vis images each day. Here's a movie from the last week:

http://www.msss.com/...1001_121007.mov

You can see a couple of high-latitude dust storms formed by barclonic systems early in the week and a couple of mid-latitude storms later in the week. The formation of fall/winter ice clouds in the north should start shortly.

The Met1 sensor suite on the Phoenix Lander used to transmit daily meteorological data until the lander froze over in 2010. It's been silent since then, though. Martian Rover has a meteorological sensor suite, managed by the Spanish Center for Astrobiology that measures near-surface air temps, wind speed, barometric pressure, water vapor, ground temps and downwelling UV. That near real-time data can be found here:

http://cab.inta-csic...arsweather.html

It will be fun to look back here after they announce what they suspect has caused the problem and see that you were correct. : ) It sure sounds accurate.

Attached is a photo/composite from goes 14 from today... what was intriguing to me about the defect is that it is especially similar to the natural organizing structure of clouds!

post-8089-0-26357300-1349909743_thumb.jp

edit: waiting to find somewhere to upload it that it is in the correct size : )

In the mid 2000s there was a website hosted by a noaa branch that had all the weekly status reports regarding all the POES satellites sent from the contractor that did the day to day operations to NOAA. It was amazing how many times either dried up lubricant or bad bearings caused imager scanner failures. Since the polar orbiting satellites go around the earth at a much faster rate then the GOES satellites they seemed to age much faster.

GOES-13 coming back online Thursday as GOES-East. Timing still needs to be decided.

No root cause identified. I guess the were outgassing for the last 3 weeks whatever that involves.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/SATS/SPBULL/MSG2902044.01.txt

Details/Specifics of Change:

Tests of GOES-13 instrumentation have demonstrated the imager and

sounder are ready to return to GOES-East operational service. GOES-13

Imager data are nominal and thanks to outgassing activities the

noise in GOES-13 Sounder shortwave data has been reduced compared to pre-anomaly

levels. The return of GOES-13 to operational service also optimizes

the

long term continuity of the GOES constellation.

On October 18, 2012 at 1444 UTC GOES-13 data will be inserted back into

the GOES-13 GVAR data stream, replacing the current GOES-14 data

stream.

Users do not need to repoint their antennas as the switch of GVAR data

streams will be transparent. Users will notice the immediate shift of

Earth coverage from the current GOES-14 drifting position to the

GOES-13

position at 75 degrees West longitude. GOES-East products will be

generated using GOES-13 and will receive nominal 24x7 monitoring. GINI

and Remapper output will be monitored to ensure nominal GOES-East

coverage of the CONUS for users of AWIPS and for users of the

SATEPSDIST

servers within ESPC. Products requiring a climatology of 30 days will

not be generated until the requisite number of fixed satellite location

days have passed:

- ASDTA SMOKE (Automated Smoke Detection and Tracking Algorithm)

- GASP (GOES Aerosol and Smoke Product)

- GEO-SST (No NETCDF format)

- GSIP-FD (GOES Surface Insolation Product-Full Disk)

RSO and SRSO schedules from GOES-13 will be available to the NWS

immediately after the switch is completed. A final stop maneuver of

GOES-14 will occur on October 19, 2012 at 1356 UTC placing it at a

position of 89.5 degrees West longitude where it will remain in standby

until further notice.

More deets:

"Tests of GOES-13 instrumentation have demonstrated the Imager and Sounder are ready to return to GOES-East operational service. The root cause of the GOES-13 anomaly was a motor vibration in the sounder filter wheel subsystem that was transmitted on to the imager and sounder optical bench. Mitigating steps have been taken to suppress the vibration and in addition, outgassing of the sounder has improved the sounder detector performance. The noise in the Sounder shortwave data has been reduced compared to pre-anomaly levels. The return of GOES-13 to operational service also optimizes the long term continuity of the GOES constellation."

Info on outgassing:

http://mwexpert.typepad.com/rog_blog/2010/11/what-is-outgassing-and-when-does-it-matter.html

More deets:

"Tests of GOES-13 instrumentation have demonstrated the Imager and Sounder are ready to return to GOES-East operational service. The root cause of the GOES-13 anomaly was a motor vibration in the sounder filter wheel subsystem that was transmitted on to the imager and sounder optical bench. Mitigating steps have been taken to suppress the vibration and in addition, outgassing of the sounder has improved the sounder detector performance. The noise in the Sounder shortwave data has been reduced compared to pre-anomaly levels. The return of GOES-13 to operational service also optimizes the long term continuity of the GOES constellation."

Info on outgassing:

http://mwexpert.type...-it-matter.html

So they actually made it better then it was before. Huh.

Archived