Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Tropical Depression Ernesto - 35 mph - 1004 mb - W 14 mph

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurricane forecasters have long been puzzled (e.g., Henry 1924) by the apparent tendency of nascent tropical cyclones to cease development or weaken as they traverse the eastern Caribbean Sea. Given the low latitude of this region, most of these tropical disturbances are those that develop from African easterly waves that are embedded in the deep, tropical easterlies over the North Atlantic Ocean.

tropical cyclones and their associated convection unexpectedly decrease in intensity over the eastern Caribbean, only to redevelop once they enter the west- ern Caribbean, posing a dilemma for forecasters. A map (Fig. 1) of the points of origin of all named tropi- cal cyclones from June through November 1851–2008 reveals a distinct minimum of origin points from 10° to 20°N and from 75° to 60°W (the eastern Caribbean Sea) relative to locations east and west of this region

http://journals.amet.../2009BAMS2822.1

I am kinda of surprised by NHC bullish intensity stance through the weekend

Out of respect of the statistical guidance (LGEM and SHIPS), which are the best performers usually, IMO...plus the GFDL... Should make them uneasy looking at the GFS and Euro though.

At the risk of looking like a fool, the HWRF intensity guidance looks reasonable.

But are often wrong when 850-200mb shear is not indicative of the true shear environment

What appears to be the problem though are that the models aren't handeling the current shear. The Netherlands Antilles show westerly flow at 200 hPa that has recently switched from the last sounding. In addition its exceptionally dry in the mid-levels. Not a very good environment at all.

tncc_12.gif

Another developing problem. The kelvin wave that pass over the storm 24-36 hours ago is gone, and is now being replaced by a subsiding phase which is currently moving overhead of the storm. The raw velocity potential anomalies (without any wave filtering) show convergent flow aloft which is typically not favorable for convective development.

28.gif

What appears to be the problem though are that the models aren't handeling the current shear. The Netherlands Antilles show westerly flow at 200 hPa that has recently switched from the last sounding. In addition its exceptionally dry in the mid-levels. Not a very good environment at all.

tncc_12.gif

Another developing problem. The kelvin wave that pass over the storm 24-36 hours ago is gone, and is now being replaced by a subsiding phase which is currently moving overhead of the storm. The raw velocity potential anomalies (without any wave filtering) show convergent flow aloft which is typically not favorable for convective development.

28.gif

Appears the CCKW preformed as you said it would. Help strengthen it to a TS and now leaves it to fend for itself.

12Z GFS weakens Ernesto even more, keeping it weak throughout the Caribbean, strengthening it a bit as it approaches Chetumalish, then moving it agonizingly slowly into the BoC where the remnants stall for days before moving north.

FWIW, it also shows a weaker 90L as well and a less favourable environment across the Atlantic.

Hi all, I've noticed this morning that in my Kelvin filtered VP200 maps that I was over laying filtered anomalies from the raw total VP200 field. While this is not a large problem, it won't catch the complete Kelvin wave signal. The next update will have the kelvin filtered VP200 anomalies using filtered data from the VP200 *Anomaly* field. This should highlight the suppressed phase of the Kelvin wave currently propagating across the Atlantic.

You can see my point in the below time-longitude plots of unfiltered VP200 total values and anomalies (shading), with the corresponding kelvin filtered VP200 anomaly contours. The Kelvin filtered anomalies using the total VP200 field doesn't highlight the suppressed phase of the Kelvin wave as nearly as much as the Kelvin filtered anomalies using the anomalous VP200 field!

vp.filt.total.90.5S-5N.pngvp.filt.anom.90.5S-5N.png

Appears the CCKW preformed as you said it would. Help strengthen it to a TS and now leaves it to fend for itself.

For the most part... I had hopes that the CCKW would spin up Ernesto more than it did but the result is just a weak tropical storm. Most of the global dynamical models (except the Canadian) now show a weak system throughout its journey in the Caribbean.

For the most part... I had hopes that the CCKW would spin up Ernesto more than it did but the result is just a weak tropical storm. Most of the global dynamical models (except the Canadian) now show a weak system throughout its journey in the Caribbean.

In other words, say goodbye to your chase ambitions Josh.

12Z Canadian

slp24.png

I don't know why anyone would be using a global low-resolution model for intensity of a tropical storm.

They are not low resolution. The ECMWF is run at 12km while the GFS sits at 35km resolution. Yes they are low resolution in comparison to the HWRF and GFDL, but they models only run very high resolution in a small domain around the tropical cyclone. They also tend to be less accurate than the global models.

I don't know why anyone would be using a global low-resolution model for intensity of a tropical storm.

The globals imo are pretty good at indicating or at least hinting at the life cycle or development of a TC. If they start showing a black hole in the MSLP fields, or barely keep a few closed isobars around the center...it may be trying to tell you something.

I don't doubt that Ernesto is under some shear currently, but I'd be very cautious about using a single sounding to illustrate this. It's not necessarily reflective of the shear or winds that the TC is feeling (which is why an area-average is used for TC shear calculations), and it's not surprising to find westerly winds/shear aloft to the north of a TC given the anticyclonic outflow.

That said, it can be useful to look at observed soundings to diagnose what the models might be missing with regard to shear, but at least so far, I haven't found much that's stuck out.

Archived