• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
Tropical Depression Ernesto - 35 mph - 1004 mb - W 14 mph

I'm not sure why this hasn't stregnthend. I trust that the GFS and Euro are smarter than me though.

I would assume it has something to do with Ernesto being under the suppressive portion of the CCKW per the 0z analysis last night. Phil...your thoughts?

post-3697-0-48356300-1344102887_thumb.pn

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking at the water vapor recently and I noticed Ernesto seems to be virtually pushing what dry air is west of it out of it's way.

http://www.ssd.noaa....l/flash-wv.html

yes take a look at the vid i posted a few pages back of Rita in the GOM strengthening with a ton of dry air all around. If there is no shear to push the dry air into the circulation then its not a big factor.

The 12Z GFDL and HWRF quite weak, the 12Z Euro weak and well south into CA, the UKMET weak and south, GFS weak and south. The SHIP and LGEM are only models that get excited about this at all, frankly the preponderance of the evidence is against this thing being all that interesting and/or threatening the US. In other words a yawner probably. I hope I am wrong but that is the way it looks to me currently.

I would assume it has something to do with Ernesto being under the suppressive portion of the CCKW per the 0z analysis last night. Phil...your thoughts?

post-3697-0-48356300-1344102887_thumb.pn

Keep in mind that was 00z last night and the suppressive portion of the CCKW is tilted as well, so the max divergence in the low-levels was ahead of the 200 hPa velocity potential portion (probably sometime yesterday ~12-24 hours before). While there is of course some risk of enhancement in the low-level flow (which is what both the GFS/ECMWF show), it should have already been occurring for 12+ hours. Considering this and the fact the storm has gotten better organized in that time, I don't think the suppressive portion of the CCKW is having a large impact on the system right now. There is another CCKW that is in the East Pacific currently that should interact with Ernesto in 48-72 hours, while the system is in the Western Caribbean / Gulf of Mexico.

Keep in mind that was 00z last night and the suppressive portion of the CCKW is tilted as well, so the max divergence in the low-levels was ahead of the 200 hPa velocity potential portion (probably sometime yesterday ~12-24 hours before). While there is of course some risk of enhancement in the low-level flow (which is what both the GFS/ECMWF show), it should have already been occurring for 12+ hours. Considering this and the fact the storm has gotten better organized in that time, I don't think the suppressive portion of the CCKW is having a large impact on the system right now. There is another CCKW that is in the East Pacific currently that should interact with Ernesto in 48-72 hours, while the system is in the Western Caribbean / Gulf of Mexico.

Good info. didn't know it was tilted that much. I was assuming the supressive part of the wave in this case does not hinder development but just "canceled" out other factors that would have strengthen it. So there isn't a net strengthening nor weakening, it just remains in a steady state as observed by Amped. And thanks for bringing up that next one in the Pacific I was going to ask you about that one.

The intensity guidance is just bizarre. The different models don't always agree, but usually they trend in roughly the same direction, to varying degrees. With this one, some models are almost inverses of other ones. It's also weird to see the GFDL and HWRF so unenthused. Just... weird. What is up with this system?

Good info. didn't know it was tilted that much. I was assuming the supressive part of the wave in this case does not hinder development but just "canceled" out other factors that would have strengthen it. So there isn't a net strengthening nor weakening, it just remains in a steady state as observed by Amped. And thanks for bringing up that next one in the Pacific I was going to ask you about that one.

Yea thats one way you can look at it too. In all honesty, while the suppressed phase is showing up somewhat in the Velocity Potential kelvin filtered anomalies, its not quite as obvious in the TRMM kelvin filtered rainfall anomalies. Were it to be paired with the CCKW though, its already probably out in the Atlantic beyond the Lesser Antilles. You can see how the Kelvin wave nicely enhanced the rainfall with both Ernesto and Florence over the past few days. Note that we are looking at 10-15N so the signal doesn't show up as well since we are looking at the top portion of the kelvin wave. Still the most recent CCKW was strong enough to be picked up by this latitudinal band.

nxuhyo.png

The intensity guidance is just bizarre. The different models don't always agree, but usually they trend in roughly the same direction, to varying degrees. With this one, some models are almost inverses of other ones. It's also weird to see the GFDL and HWRF so unenthused. Just... weird. What is up with this system?

Weirdest storm I have seen in a while.

HPC likes Mexico for it's final destination. 12z ECMWF re-develops Ernie in the EPAC after a MX landfall.

9nhwbgfnl_conus.gif

Maybe the conditions are not as optimal as they could be?

What's puzzling to me is the contradictory nature of the different models; they're just all over the place. We have the "squashed spider" problem with Ernesto's intensity modeling that we had with Debby's track modeling.

Note the consistency of which models are trending in which direction. It's the stat guidance all saying intensify and the dynamical guidance all saying weaker.

Note the consistency of which models are trending in which direction. It's the stat guidance all saying intensify and the dynamical guidance all saying weaker.

It is worth noting that the ECMWF is the strongest its been with Ernesto since the TC developed. It does weaken it in the short term, but its actually now somewhat similar to the GFS developing taking a Ernesto into the YP and then into the Bay of Campeche.

For the record:

TROPICAL STORM ERNESTO DISCUSSION NUMBER 13

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052012

500 PM EDT SAT AUG 04 2012

A RECONNAISSANCE PLANE EARLIER THIS MORNING FOUND A WEAKER

CYCLONE...BUT DURING THE LAST PASS THROUGH THE CENTER AROUND

NOON...THE PLANE REPORTED THAT THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAD DROPPED TO

1004 MB FROM 1008 MB...AND FOUND A BETTER DEFINED CIRCULATION

CENTER. SINCE THAT TIME...THE SATELLITE PRESENTATION HAS CONTINUED

TO INCREASE IN ORGANIZATION. THE CENTER IS EMBEDDED WITHIN A

CIRCULAR AREA OF DEEP CONVECTION...AND THE OUTFLOW IS WELL

ESTABLISHED WHICH IS NOT COMMON FOR A CYCLONE IN THE CENTRAL

CARIBBEAN. T-NUMBERS WERE 3.5 AND 3.0 AT 1800 UTC...AND OBJECTIVE

NUMBERS HAVE REACHED 4.3 ON THE DVORAK SCALE DURING THE PAST HOUR.

ON THIS BASIS...THE INTENSITY HAS BEEN CONSERVATIVELY BEEN ADJUSTED

UPWARD TO 50 KNOTS. HOWEVER... GIVEN THE SATELLITE PRESENTATION...

THE NEXT RECONNAISSANCE PLANE COULD FIND STRONGER WINDS.

AS INDICATED IN THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY...I DO NOT HAVE ANY REASONS TO

FORECAST WEAKENING AS SOME OF THE DYNAMICAL MODELS PREDICT...

INCLUDING THE HWRF AND THE GFDL. THE SHEAR IS LOW AHEAD OF THE

CYCLONE AND ERNESTO WILL MOVE OVER AN OCEAN WITH HIGHER HEAT

CONTENT. GIVEN SUCH CONDITIONS...THE OFFICIAL FORECAST CALLS FOR

ERNESTO TO BECOME A HURRICANE IN THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN AS SUGGESTED

BY THE SHIPS AND LGEM MODELS.

ERNESTO CONTINUES TO MOVE TOWARD THE WEST OR 280 DEGREES AT 16

KNOTS...EMBEDDED IN THE FLOW SOUTH OF THE SUBTROPICAL RIDGE. THIS

GENERAL TRACK IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 TO 48 HOURS.

AFTER THAT...THE SUBTROPICAL HIGH IS FORECAST TO WEAKEN...RESULTING

IN ERNESTO TURNING MORE TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST WITH A DECREASE

IN FORWARD SPEED. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS VERY CLOSE TO THE

SOLUTION OF MOST THE GLOBAL MODELS...BRINGING ERNESTO OVER THE

NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN AND ACROSS THE YUCATAN PENINSULA. AT THIS

TIME...THE NHC FORECAST DISREGARDS THE NORTHWARD TURN INDICATED BY

THE GFDL/HWRF MODEL PAIR.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT 04/2100Z 14.8N 70.1W 50 KT 60 MPH

12H 05/0600Z 15.2N 72.6W 50 KT 60 MPH

24H 05/1800Z 15.7N 76.0W 55 KT 65 MPH

36H 06/0600Z 16.0N 79.0W 65 KT 75 MPH

48H 06/1800Z 16.5N 81.5W 70 KT 80 MPH

72H 07/1800Z 18.0N 84.5W 75 KT 85 MPH

96H 08/1800Z 19.5N 87.0W 80 KT 90 MPH

120H 09/1800Z 21.5N 90.5W 60 KT 70 MPH

$$

FORECASTER AVILA

so NHC says it will be a hurricane in 36 hours, admits it could even be one much sooner, and yet they track it west or wnw in line with the models that keep it an open wave or tropical storm? I can promise you that if the GFS or ECMWF were depicting a hurricane those models would send it into the weakness created by that huge digging trough in a few days.

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM ERNESTO ADVISORY NUMBER 13

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL052012

500 PM EDT SAT AUG 04 2012

...ERNESTO RACING WESTWARD TOWARD THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...INFORMATION

----------------------------------------------

LOCATION...14.8N 70.1W

ABOUT 255 MI...410 KM S OF SANTO DOMINGO DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

ABOUT 495 MI...800 KM ESE OF KINGSTON JAMAICA

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 18 MPH...30 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1003 MB...29.62 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS

--------------------

CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY...

NONE.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...

* JAMAICA

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE

EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN 36 HOURS.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR

PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK

------------------------------

AT 500 PM EDT...2100 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ERNESTO WAS

LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 14.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 70.1 WEST. ERNESTO IS

MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 18 MPH...30 KM/H. THIS GENERAL MOTION

WITH A GRADUAL DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE

NEXT 48 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...ERNESTO WILL MOVE SOUTH OF

HISPANIOLA TONIGHT AND WILL BE SOUTH OF JAMAICA SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 60 MPH...95 KM/H...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS...

AND ERNESTO COULD BECOME A HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140 MILES...220 KM

TO THE NORTH AND EAST OF THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1003 MB...29.62 INCHES.

HAZARDS AFFECTING LAND

----------------------

WIND...TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED ON JAMAICA BY SUNDAY

AFTERNOON. SOME SQUALLS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE SOUTH COAST OF

PUERTO RICO AND HISPANIOLA TODAY.

RAINFALL...RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES...WITH ISOLATED

HIGHER AMOUNTS...CAN BE EXPECTED IN JAMAICA AS ERNESTO MOVES BY THE

ISLAND. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS...OCCASIONALLY HEAVY...ARE

POSSIBLE IN ARUBA...CURACAO...AND BONAIRE.

NEXT ADVISORY

-------------

NEXT INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY...800 PM EDT.

NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...1100 PM EDT.

Archived