Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some decent lightning and thunder now.

Best storms for NYC are usually the ones that form closer to the city and not the long traveling ones from way west.

We can also do very well with southward-turning MCS events...where the storms track over Northern PA and New York State and then turn south along a mid level gradient. We had a bunch of those in the early 2000's.

The storms that move due south or nearly due south definitely seem a lot more intense than these dying squall lines, is it because of the wind direction, less interaction with the marine layer?

If they are moving north to south they have less time to interact with the stable air before reaching the coast, but additionally they more directly oppose the sea breeze boundary which if set up just right can actually briefly enhance storms as they cross it.

We can also do very well with southward-turning MCS events...where the storms track over Northern PA and New York State and then turn south along a mid level gradient. We had a bunch of those in the early 2000's.

Yeah. But in my area, it's usually the discrete and strong cells that produce severe weather. Usually not a larger complex.

Guest Pamela

Looking at the animation, appears to be some re-intensification as precip approaches CT and Westchester coasts...

looks like everybodys callin bust.

good thing they took their finger off the trigger with the 'high risk'. I could only imagine the weenie backlash.

that secondary low development (on the NAM) prolly screwed us.

It wasn't a bust, ask people in northern PA and south central NY...

today.gif

The Tornado Watch was a huge bust. I still have NO idea why the SPC went so far NORTH with it. The ONLY guidance that was that far north into NY was the SPC SREF tornado probability graphic, but that was clearly flawed. It had the peak around 2 a.m. tomorrow in Connecticut!

Newark gusted to 40mph. LGA and JFK even higher.

Not terrible if you think about it.

Not severe levels but still pretty good.

Is there even one other report of wind even close to what LGA reported around them?

JFK and Newark were close to LGA.

I estimated 30-35mph at that time.

It looks like Newark and JFK passed under better storms though. Not doubting the report, but I want to point out that it was extremely localized.

Was watching TV 10/55 news, and as they went to break, their camera picked up a terrific cg strike just west of Manhattan.

I don't know if NWSFO KOKX is watching TV 10/55 News but five minutes after they stated a downed tree near the Locust Valley train station, the NWSFO put out a local storm report stating the same thing and sourcing it to local media.

Still kinda shocked by what happened today. Radar velocities were easily in the 63-68 knot range and there was some obvious bowing in NNJ. As soon as the line hit the mountains near Ramsey, everything just collapsed. The shelf cloud I saw was impressive, but I saw some obvious lack of precip/vigorous cloud motion beyond it. Radar echoes were an extremely low 36-45 dBZ with very weak velocities thereafter. I ruled out a sudden down-burst, because the heaviest winds never mixed down to the surface and there weren't any OFB's. One day once I retire, I'll find out what the heck causes so many severe storms to just collapse as they approach my area.

Like some have said here...I have seen more impressive winds and lightning during winter storms and Nor' Easters. Oh well. There's always next time :rolleyes:

I guess the only good part about today was seeing the lightning streak CTC overhead while I was grilling. Nice light show for the wife and I during dinner.

We have also done well with some early-morning events, when the CAPE can actually be a little higher near the coast than further west. 7/18/07 comes to mind.

Archived