BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 26, 2012 Severe Weather Potential

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool clouds up here in Dutchess County (I tried to head south from my house a little to get into the brunt of the line), but as many have said, the winds were modest at best. I love any weather better than sun and cirrus so I'll take it and run, but as the culmination of two days in mdt SPC risk, it was a little bit of a bummer.

Guest Pamela

Edit: Omg I've never seen the sky get black so fast, I was just looking out the window and then came back and it looks like the apocalypse.

Ditto...

I am not sure, but maybe the less than stellar mid -level lapse rates had some effect.

Wow, lapse rates were pretty poor. I guess we needed more of an EML. What were lapse rates like for the long-track derecho on Labor Day, 1998? I know the height falls at 500mb that day were extremely impressive, and we didn't have quite as favorable of an upper-level pattern on this occasion, probably because it's mid-July and the actual jet stream is fairly weak at this point in summer. The really bad severe outbreaks tend to occur in June and September when we have the jet stream closer to supply the kinematics and happen to get favorable thermodynamics. September 2010 had two very impressive thunderstorm events here in Westchester, the one on the 16th being infamous for its damage in Queens.

Well I grew up on Long Island (west islip) and I can tell you it was likely terrain and then the marine layer. Keep in mind mesoanalysis is taken from RUC so it is not 100% accurate. Plus all day it was showing plenty of CIN along the coast.

Radar looks scary to my NW in the Sound...sky got dark very fast.

In Port Jeff and can attest to William's post as it got dark quite quickly and wind came in quickly followed by now heavy rain. Nothing here too severe. Black night like skies and lightning do make it look awesome.

Archived