• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Summer update II: As of July 10, SNE region's 4 primary climo sites are all solidly above normal nearing mid July

Typhoon Tip

We are going to Woodwards, off route 93, near Lincoln, NH for the hike club weekend this year. It's Oct 26-28 so we got a $78 double rate that includes a full breakfast.

Probably still good Fall hiking wx, but wouldn't bother me if we had some early season snow. :)

That area is nice. I hiked the basin, right up the road off 93.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never been there. I did it all from the net and second hand info from people who have....

I saw how many 5K peaks were nearby and knew that would please our hikers. :)

As to me ...probably something a little easier unless I really prepare and get in shape for that.

That area is nice. I hiked the basin, right up the road off 93.

Yes..you absolutely raise the blade as high as it can go..4 inches is the summer recommended height.

1)It helps prevent grass from burning

2) Keeps disease and insects out

3)Longer grass chokes out weeds.

I always laugh when i see people cutting their lawns at like 1.5-2 inches..That's the absolute worst thing you could do for a lawn.

I wanted to do 4 even when things were growing nicely. My wife and I compromised at 3.75. Just the same, so serious browning occuring some some areas. Other are doing just fine, though. I'm really hopeful we can get some rain tomorrow/night to hold things in check a bit.

Wow--I just noticed that I had gotten up to 84.1 at 12:30 and have actually come down to my current 82.9. Hope things continue to hold or slip.

I dunno who the great brain was that decided we should put all our main wx sensors near airport tarmacs. Might have made logistical sense, but pollutes all the readings.

It's actually a perfect spot if you can get them in an open field between runways. Most of them aren't adjacent to a runway or tarmac.

I dunno who the great brain was that decided we should put all our main wx sensors near airport tarmacs. Might have made logistical sense, but pollutes all the readings.

The sensors are there to provide air traffic safety first and foremost. Any other use of the data thereafter is secondary. I fly frequently, and I gotta say, I'm kind of happy they are where they are and not off in some remote sheltered location just because we all wish the official numbers would show us living in a cooler climate.

Oh I know where that is. Nice place. I love it up there. I try to go up as often as I can. We are on the Center Harbor/Moultonboro line on Winni. FYI, there is a nice place to hike by Squam (which is probably my favorite lake of all). Rattlesnake mtn...which is only about 1200' above sea level. Views are epic though.

Silver Lake, a little south of Conway, is my favorite

The sensors are there to provide air traffic safety first and foremost. Any other use of the data thereafter is secondary. I fly frequently, and I gotta say, I'm kind of happy they are where they are and not off in some remote sheltered location just because we all wish the official numbers would show us living in a cooler climate.

Outstanding point.

Well that's back to the old argument of what is reality when it comes to temperatures.... The average temp. where we actually live or in an open hot field where most of us don't.... But hey the powers that be in wx say it's the open field so that's that I guess.

It's actually a perfect spot if you can get them in an open field between runways. Most of them aren't adjacent to a runway or tarmac.

On my sad excuse for a lawn now... The only grasses that look reasonably healthy are the natural field grasses that have taken over certain areas. The planted stuff from Lowes is largely brown and shot.

Makes me feel the best thing would be to go with the local natural grasses...obviously they are suited to the micro climate. Maybe not as pretty stuff to look at.

I wanted to do 4 even when things were growing nicely. My wife and I compromised at 3.75. Just the same, so serious browning occuring some some areas. Other are doing just fine, though. I'm really hopeful we can get some rain tomorrow/night to hold things in check a bit.

Wow--I just noticed that I had gotten up to 84.1 at 12:30 and have actually come down to my current 82.9. Hope things continue to hold or slip.

Despite the dissection, BOS has a chance to have a  6 day run of 90.   As it gets sunnier its becoming clear that today is in play with the temperature response.   Yesterday was day 1....exactly 90.

Heat wave already verified at places like FIT and BAF, and BED soon to be added on the next hourly or thereafter.

Well that's back to the old argument of what is reality when it comes to temperatures.... The average temp. where we actually live or in an open hot field where most of us don't.... But hey the powers that be in wx say it's the open field so that's that I guess.

Well there are co-op stations which are located in places people live, and there are 10x more co-op stations than ASOS (~10,000 vs. ~1000 stations). Measuring weather in an open field makes sense, since you're trying to measure the free atmosphere, and the atmosphere in general once you're ~50 ft AGL doesn't have things like trees, buildings, grass, etc. impacting conditions. The open field is the closest you're going to get to measuring free atmospheric conditions at the surface. How many of us have issues measuring wind with our home stations? That's one example of why weather stations need to be in wide open areas: to avoid contaminated measurements. The other good thing is that siting is standardized at all the airports across the world according to WMO standards, so not only do you get high quality and frequent observations, but they are all using similar equipment sited the same way so it's fair to make comparisons between stations because it will truly be an apples to apples comparison. In any case having the densest network of stations and tons of data at our fingertips, we will continue to hear that the hundreds of stations across New England "just aren't enough" to represent everyone's climate despite all of us in the northern states east of the Rockies falling into one of two principal climate classifications: humid continental warm summer (most of New England except SW CT) or humid continental hot summer (SW CT on south).

And now the Ski thread is in OT, where MRG can't post in it.

I am sorry, but I feel it should be in the New England subforum, just like the lawn/garden one, and Will's old golf one.

My 2 cents.

Two out of the four or five biggest skiers on the site can no longer post in the ski thread lol. Oh well.

Archived