Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another issue is moisture isn't all that deep and with dry air in he lower levels and potential for westerly winds at the sfc and llvls that could

Mix dry air down

I'm actually liking the moisture pooling. Look at 925 and 850mb on twisterdata. Plenty of juice with PWATs near 2" on the GFS. There is actually a dry area to our south over NJ...the moisture pooling for now actually is good for us.

I'm actually liking the moisture pooling. Look at 925 and 850mb on twisterdata. Plenty of juice with PWATs near 2" on the GFS. There is actually a dry area to our south over NJ...the moisture pooling for now actually is good for us.

Ahh I see what you mean...that's actually different than past runs and as moisture increases we see an instability increase towards dark.

You had to rub it in, didn't you?!

I think this is best maybe across PA/NJ...NYC area. At least for now, it doesn't mean SNE can't see anything. CT has a shot.

You think the data is too far north with where this complex heads tomorrow night?

Why do I feel like I may potentially get screwed here? lol

Overnight stuff misses to my north and then Sunday's activity misses south. Sigh...

I think this is best maybe across PA/NJ...NYC area. At least for now, it doesn't mean SNE can't see anything. CT has a shot.

I don't know man. after a quick glance this morning, It looks like the damn front is so slow that we don't get anything down this way until like 10PM or later...It more or less stalls overnight too with a constant chance for more storms NYC and south through sunday.. looks good for DC area from a severe perspective on sunday because the front sags south enough by peak heating.

Yeah late July and August usually blow around here, however, we have had some notable events during the month of August but usually after the second week of July things get pretty meh. With it being in the heart of summer usually the best westerlies are well north of here and the mid-levels bake pretty good so lapse rates are awful.

For what it's worth (possibly not much given the limited data set and criteria), there wasn't an Ekster/Banacos EML severe wx event in the Northeast between 7/23-8/14 for possibly the reasons you describe. The events return again in the 8/15-9/7 period. If this year goes the way of 2002, then I wouldn't count on this late period to deliver any goods.

You think the data is too far north with where this complex heads tomorrow night?

Overnight stuff misses to my north and then Sunday's activity misses south. Sigh...

Yep that's pretty much how I see it on the latest data as well.. it would fit the general pattern of this year, and our general pattern of bad luck with severe weather lol

I know the feeling. It only took two and half years in Iowa to realize how rare a really severe storm is in New England. I probably experienced 50+ knot winds more times in those 2.5 years than I had in my entire life in Rhode Island (I bet even including the occasional tropical cyclone).

It's funny you say this. Growing up on the shoreline east of New Haven I can only recall one severe thunderstorm that I saw in 18 years (it would have been 2... but I was away for 7/10/89). Since I've moved here to West Hartford, though, I've probably seen a half dozen in as many years - both severe hail and 50 knot winds.

I'd still rather live near the water... but as storms go this is definitely better.

Well I kind of have this feeling it might peel SE, but I guess the more I look at it...the more it seems like SNE is within the goal posts as well. I don't want the upstream convection to rip SE tonight and screw us with mid to high level debris clouds which is on my mind, but that usually is more of a nowcast deal.

Something to help our cause, I'm away this weekend so lock it in..lol.

The wind fields are really impressive, almost scary. You don't see that very often. The jet support aloft is not ideal and temps aloft are relatively warm, but actually cool the further northeast one goes. Weak s/w moving se and subtle height falls may help here as well.

I don't know man. after a quick glance this morning, It looks like the damn front is so slow that we don't get anything down this way until like 10PM or later...It more or less stalls overnight too with a constant chance for more storms NYC and south through sunday.. looks good for DC area from a severe perspective on sunday because the front sags south enough by peak heating.

Yeah you may be right. I commented how the more I look at it, the more perhaps this area could be favored. I try not to get too excited when it comes to tstms around here and usually wait until 24 hrs before any event in order to really get pumped up, but some of the wind fields are really impressive. I guess my concern for here is how upstream convection develops and if that moves a little further to the right and blankets up with mid level debris clouds. That's my concern, but perhaps it's more for areas north of I-90.

Yep that's pretty much how I see it on the latest data as well.. it would fit the general pattern of this year, and our general pattern of bad luck with severe weather lol

Do you still have clients up here? I thought I remember you having some clients up here during last winter. You,HM, Forky etc should feel free to post. It's nice having other opinions.

Yeah you may be right. I commented how the more I look at it, the more perhaps this area could be favored. I try not to get too excited when it comes to tstms around here and usually wait until 24 hrs before any event in order to really get pumped up, but some of the wind fields are really impressive. I guess my concern for here is how upstream convection develops and if that moves a little further to the right and blankets up with mid level debris clouds. That's my concern, but perhaps it's more for areas north of I-90.

You know better than I do that is the way to approach eastern New England severe weather. Though you guys have gotten some decent action so far, at least better than anything I've seen in NJ or otherwise. The morning storms we had a couple weeks ago were an excellent show of rain/lightning/dark clouds...and then I caught more incredible lightning, with a few rain drops in the outflow about 40 miles north of the Derecho on the monmouth county beaches last week.

You bring up a good point about the mid-level cloud debris from whats already going on though..As usual with t-storm events, there really are no set answers on how this will unfold at this moment

You know better than I do that is the way to approach eastern New England severe weather. Though you guys have gotten some decent action so far, at least better than anything I've seen in NJ or otherwise. The morning storms we had a couple weeks ago were an excellent show of rain/lightning/dark clouds...and then I caught more incredible lightning, with a few rain drops in the outflow about 40 miles north of the Derecho on the monmouth county beaches last week.

You bring up a good point about the mid-level cloud debris from whats already going on though..As usual with t-storm events, there really are no set answers on how this will unfold at this moment

I'm excited as anyone with a good tstm. Heck I'm happy just with good CG.

You're right in that we have had some action in June and early July. The most action I can remember in at least a few years. 2008 tops it, but I have had hail at least twice already. Missed both of course being away or at work.

Archived