• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread V

Typhoon Tip

I guess I shouldn't be too shocked but I'm a little shocked there aren't even 2% TOR probs...most likely b/c activity is forming into a cluster/MCS, however, if any discrete cells get going helicity is decent and vertical shear is fairly strong....supercell composite parameter is 8 for a good chunk of the area with sig TOR slightly increasing as well.

I just wish we'd get rid of these -6C 500mb temps here, however, it appears that cluster is riding right along the cold pool and some cooler temps aloft are actually beginning to get out ahead of the cluster slightly

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it looked great on radar.

Pitch black with that thing... just got back to Stowe but was south hanging with some buddies. Saw some awesome mammatus clouds overhead, too, on the northern side of the storm. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera because I wasn't thinking about the possibility of a good storm.

Pitch black with that thing... just got back to Stowe but was south hanging with some buddies. Saw some awesome mammatus clouds overhead, too, on the northern side of the storm. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera because I wasn't thinking about the possibYility of a good storm.

Edit: ok maybe fringed isn't the right word. Wind and rain picking up. Satellite tv just blinked out.

Getting fringed by this storm I think. Lots of thunder and just had a pretty close lightning strike. Only light rain at the moment. Starting to get heavier.

Wow is an understatement to the storm that rolled through Monroe NH area around 5. We were heading back to Peacham from the Hanover area and had stopped in Woodsville. I could see dark clouds to our north but couldn't see just how strong things looked. We headed up the Ct river on the NH side on RT 135. Soon after I could see to the NW and saw a lot of cloud to ground lightning but hings looked manageable. As we got closer it looked to my untrained eye as a nasty storm with a nice shelf cloud. I pulled over at one point as I couldn't tell if there was a funnel while safely driving. Deciding it wasn't and going with the idea that it is NNE it can't be that bad, I mistakenly drove on. As we got closer I could sheets of rain on the hills on the other side of the river and was very nervous about hail. Suddenly the storm hit us but was not too bad at first. I turned around and thought of outrunning it to the south but that seemed futile so we headed back north. Things quickly got worse, much worse. the wind was very strong and branches were flying. Worst was a number of pine branches headed straight at the car. At its peak there was pea size hail and visibility was lower than I have ever encountered in a blizzard- maybe less that 25 feet. I didn't dare stop because trees and power lines lined the road and I was afraid we would get crushed. Eventually I noticed a town garage type building to the side of the road and pulled straight into someone carport. We stayed put for a few minutes until the worst had past. There were large branches down everywhere but from what I could tell it was all straight line winds- no rotation. We crossed the bridge in Barnet but the road to W,. Barnet was blocked by a downed tree. We eventually found a way over the hill and around Harveys Lake but came across other downed trees partially blocking the road and one side road near the lake which had multiple trees completely blocking the road. Eventually made it home safely. I am kicking myself for not taking pictures when I pulled over to look at the storm before we headed into it but not nearly as much as I am kicking myself for heading into it. Easiest my most scary weather moment.

Looking at GRlevel3 from the OKX radar, it showed 3 mesos, one north of new haven, one at 91 in new haven and one to the north west of hamden, on either crappy looking cells or just nothing. What the hell was that?

It's just an algorithm, it makes mistakes. Often.

Some reports out of the local BTV area in Chittenden County... heavy rain and wind.

0700 PM TSTM WND GST 2 SE MALLETTS BAY 44.53N 73.20W

07/04/2012 M70 MPH CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

PUBLIC

0700 PM HAIL 2 SE MALLETTS BAY 44.53N 73.20W

07/04/2012 M1.25 INCH CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

PUBLIC

0700 PM HEAVY RAIN 2 SE MALLETTS BAY 44.53N 73.20W

07/04/2012 M2.00 INCH CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

PUBLIC

0710 PM TSTM WND DMG MALLETTS BAY 44.55N 73.23W

07/04/2012 CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

TREES DOWN ALONG MALLETTS BAY

0710 PM HAIL PEASLEEVILLE 44.60N 73.67W

07/04/2012 M1.00 INCH CLINTON NY PUBLIC

0720 PM TSTM WND DMG 1 WNW ESSEX JUNCTION 44.50N 73.12W

07/04/2012 CHITTENDEN VT FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

POWER LINES DOWN ON PEARL STREET IN ESSEX JUNCTION

0722 PM TSTM WND DMG BURLINGTON 44.47N 73.21W

TREE DOWN ON SAINT PAUL ST IN BURLINGTON

0724 PM TSTM WND DMG 1 E SOUTH BURLINGTON 44.47N 73.15W

07/04/2012 CHITTENDEN VT TRAINED SPOTTER

UTILITY POLE FELL ONTO A SMALL AIRPLANE

0725 PM TSTM WND DMG SOUTH BURLINGTON 44.47N 73.17W

07/04/2012 CHITTENDEN VT FIRE DEPT/RESCUE

TREE DOWN ON WILLISTON ROAD IN SOUTH BURLINGTON

0729 PM TSTM WND GST BURLINGTON 44.48N 73.21W

07/04/2012 E70 MPH CHITTENDEN VT TRAINED SPOTTER

KING STREET IN DOWNTOWN BURLINGTON FLOODED

0730 PM TSTM WND DMG 1 NNW BURLINGTON 44.48N 73.22W

MULTIPLE TREES DOWN ON N. CHAMPLAIN DRIVE

0734 PM TSTM WND DMG 1 SSE SOUTH BURLINGTON 44.46N 73.17W

TREES DOWN

0756 PM TSTM WND DMG SOUTH BURLINGTON 44.47N 73.17W

07/04/2012 CHITTENDEN VT BROADCAST MEDIA

FOX44 REPORTS A TREE DOWN ON I-189 IN SOUTH BURLINGTON

0803 PM FLOOD SOUTH BURLINGTON 44.47N 73.17W

07/04/2012 CHITTENDEN VT BROADCAST MEDIA

STREET FLOODING ON SOUTH WILLARD ST IN SOUTH BURLINGTON

Another impressive wind observation. Less impressive than the airport though, which is all land-locked.

I wonder if there was any local wave response to these types of winds blowing on the long NW fetch into Burlington southward.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT

816 PM EDT WED JUL 04 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0809 PM MARINE TSTM WIND DIAMOND ISLAND 44.24N 73.33W

07/04/2012 M75 MPH ADDISON VT MESONET

DIAMOND ISLAND OBSERVATION PLATFORM REPORTED A GUST OF

65 KNOTS

A tree was down into the right lane on 93N around exit 16. Drove through some very heavy rain and lightning from about the tolls until exit 17. Had nearly a half inch of rain at the house with a peak gust of 26mph. Nothing too bad though.

Archived