• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Hole in SPC reports in WV from 6/29 Derecho

I noticed this almost right away but I decided to wait a few days to let reports trickle in from harder-hit areas. Still though, you'll notice a pretty sizable "hole" (for lack of a better term) over West Virginia in the storm reports. Anyone know what caused this?

120629_rpts_filtered.gif

Could it be that the Charleston WFO has just been too busy to file their reports with SPC?

Did the MCS actually weaken and then restrengthen downsteam? If so, was it as a result of topographical features? Or something else?

Could it just be the very low population in that area, and hence, no one to report damage? Even so, other areas of KY and VA that are relatively lightly populated have a plethora of reports.

Any ideas?

I believe that MCS's in that area tend to weaken for a time due to the influence of the Appalachian's, then restrengthen once they get east of the mountains. I'm unsure why that only happened in WV though, so someone more knowledgeable than myself would have to explain that,

I noticed this almost right away but I decided to wait a few days to let reports trickle in from harder-hit areas. Still though, you'll notice a pretty sizable "hole" (for lack of a better term) over West Virginia in the storm reports. Anyone know what caused this?

120629_rpts_filtered.gif

Could it be that the Charleston WFO has just been too busy to file their reports with SPC?

Did the MCS actually weaken and then restrengthen downsteam? If so, was it as a result of topographical features? Or something else?

Could it just be the very low population in that area, and hence, no one to report damage? Even so, other areas of KY and VA that are relatively lightly populated have a plethora of reports.

Any ideas?

The Pittsburgh WFO was backing up Charleston for part of this past weekend (as we were backing up Sterling also), I think they went down (RLX) just after the derecho went through.

So there may still be some reports coming then?

Most likely. The southern end, which was very if not the most powerful part of the derecho at the time went right over the Charleston WFO.

6b28cf71.jpg

If anything it appeared that the line weakened as it crossed the wv/va border and reintensified getting into the piedmont region of VA. I'd expect the final result to thoroughly fill in that hole in central wv. Looking at the power outage maps for Appalachian Electric and Mon Power, there are still at least 2,000+ people per county of central wv without power.

1 in 3 West Virginians have no power. there are at least 50 destroyed transmission towers, and in some places there is no phone or internet service.

I figured that was probably the most likely reason. Sort of hard to report anything when you can't talk to anyone.

1 in 3 West Virginians have no power. there are at least 50 destroyed transmission towers, and in some places there is no phone or internet service.

Here's the before and after nightime visible from the new Suomi (first in the constellation to replace EOS) NPP VIIRS sensor (courtesy of CIMSS) showing the extent of the power outages in WV. "Blackouts" in PA and MI are actually clouds from other storms. Everything else is legit outages due to the derecho.

nostripe-autolevel-anim.gif

Archived