Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
JULY 2012 Severe Weather /Convection Discussion

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z NAM is farther north with the widespread/significant severe weather on Thursday..with a significant event over N PA/NY State and Western New England.

Instability values still very good, 3-4K CAPE values but best bulk shear is further north on this run. Verbatim the juxtaposition of optimal thermodynamic and kinematic parameters would be immediately N of the metro area. Plenty of time for changes.

214v1ad.jpg

The SPC SREF 3hr probability of derecho parameter >3 has been increasing each run...over parts of Northern PA and traversing eastward to New Jersey and Southeast NY by 21z Thu.

SREF_prob_derecho_3__f054.gif

this is good news earthlight. this to me is really the first legitiment threat of widespread severe weather outbreak for our area this summer. the ingredients are there we just gotta get them to come together at the right time. we havent seen a derecho around here since like what? 1998?

this is good news earthlight. this to me is really the first legitiment threat of widespread severe weather outbreak for our area this summer. the ingredients are there we just gotta get them to come together at the right time. we havent seen a derecho around here since like what? 1998?

Labor Day 1998 Derechio - here is the NOAA link - Not Too sure if I want to experience that again - once is enough - 100 mile per hour winds - caused $ 3000 damage to my house ...................

http://www.spc.noaa....ep71998page.htm

Quite intrigued on the potential not only for severe weather on Thursday but the potential for a widespread and fairly significant severe weather outbreak extending from NE PA into SE NY/northern NJ and into western parts of SNE. I REALLY like the corridor from NE PA into NJ/SE NY...seems like there is solid consensus this area will at least see moderate instability under the presence of an EML plume with tremendous shear; both speed and directional. Of course there are issues that have to be worked out but if everything aligns I could see a very intense bowling line ahead of the cold front with discrete/possible tornadic supercells ahead of that and the pre-frontal trough.

Quite intrigued on the potential not only for severe weather on Thursday but the potential for a widespread and fairly significant severe weather outbreak extending from NE PA into SE NY/northern NJ and into western parts of SNE. I REALLY like the corridor from NE PA into NJ/SE NY...seems like there is solid consensus this area will at least see moderate instability under the presence of an EML plume with tremendous shear; both speed and directional. Of course there are issues that have to be worked out but if everything aligns I could see a very intense bowling line ahead of the cold front with discrete/possible tornadic supercells ahead of that and the pre-frontal trough.

You should go chasing down here on Thursday.

Those expecting a Labor day 1998 repeat will be very disappointed. The synoptic set up for that particular event was much more impressive. Huge area of height falls associated w/ a potent shortwave. Additionally, the clash of airmasses was more intense with 10c air at 850mb pushing swd up against 20c air in the mid atlantic.

Heights fell from around 585dm to sub 576dm within the 18-24 hr period on Labor Day. Later this week we'll see heights fall but nowhere near 1998.

Note the tightly packed height lines across the Northeast/Lakes and southern Canada. The synoptic of this event is world's better than the one later in the week

http://www.meteo.psu...1998/us0907.php

Those expecting a Labor day 1998 repeat will be very disappointed. The synoptic set up for that particular event was much more impressive. Huge area of height falls associated w/ a potent shortwave. Additionally, the clash of airmasses was more intense with 10c air at 850mb pushing swd up against 20c air in the mid atlantic.

Heights fell from around 585dm to sub 576dm within the 18-24 hr period on Labor Day. Later this week we'll see heights fall but nowhere near 1998.

Note the tightly packed height lines across the Northeast/Lakes and southern Canada. The synoptic of this event is world's better than the one later in the week

http://www.meteo.psu...1998/us0907.php

Multicellular clusters, bow echos with focused damaging wind gusts seem reasonable at this junction. Best supercell risk north of the area. Derechos are 200+ miles in length and conditions need to be darn near perfect for their development here. It's a very impressive set up, but to me, derechos are akin to 25"+ snowstorms. Extremely rare. Actually they're more akin to 1996 or 1888 snowstorms for us.

To be honest despite the prolific soundings the NAM leaves me wanting more, especially in regards to the 500mb pattern and height falls. Despite the very impressive shear and surface low placement as well as the SPC SREF returning big numbers in reponse to the 0-3km helicity and 0-6km bulk shear juxtaposed with high instability....the high-resolution models have been insisting on storms staying both to the north and west of our area. The delayed height falls could be to blame as you glance at the H5 height field. The earlier runs of the NAM, that had the MCS farther south in the morning, had a better mid level height orientation and the shortwave/vorticity was farther south, aiding in forcing and development of convection in a very unstable atmosphere. The timing is also a big concern, even the SREF has the best/highest probability (3 and 12 hr) for storms between 21 and 03z. Both of these could serve as major caveats to a widespread severe weather event.

f48.gif

Archived