Newest Member
    Monty
JULY 2012 Severe Weather /Convection Discussion

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Where do you think storms are worse, Plainview where you used to live, or Port Jeff? Im thinking Plaintview further west, but PJ is north so you get those nasty cells from CT...

Moved to Plainview in 1971...resided there until 1994...there were certainly some good t-storms there over the years...but as far as comparison and such...a good deal harder as there were so few weather resources outside of NOAA weather radio and TWC radar did not come along till 1982...and internet not till a decade later...as I posted a few days ago...Port Jeff seems exceptionally wet during the summer (at least during my watch)...and they seem a fair bit wetter during the warm season than say the East End where sea breezes obviously promote stability and discourage the development of cumulonimbus clouds...but as far as comparisons...I have not owned a rain gauge in recent years so I could not say for certain vs Plainview...I'm more of a winter climate guy (in terms of interest)...and can say w/o equivocation Port Jeff is a good deal snowier than Plainview...even though the period I lived in Plainview was in general a bad stretch for snow relative to normal....while the exact opposite has been true while living out here...

The phrase was meant relatively speaking...in terms of actual difference...I'd say about 2.5 to 3.5 inches per average year snowier...depending on what side of Plainview you're on...3.5" compared with the SW part of Plainview...2.5" vs. the NE part (Round Swamp Rd / Northern State Parkway area).

<Yes, wrong thread, I know...will restrict going off on tangents in future>

storms keep hitting the same areas this summer...jersey shore and north shore of LI in particular...northern nassau has been SLAMMED over and over this summer, pretty remarkable.

Saw some roads closed in my area for down trees but my neighborhood was fine...pretty crazy how the south shore has had nothing and we have been getting killed...even worse just north of me by 3 miles...

Midtown was hammered. My first fun NYC event. Sidewise rain, hail. Water in our apartment. Good times.

I didn't see hail from my office but the rain and lightning was very intense-some wind too. Better than about 95% of the storms that ever make it to the South Shore. Hard to get excited about any kind of severe threat on Long Island. The 100+ degree heat provided plenty of fuel when the lid finally did pop off today.

.20" in the rain gauge in Piscataway about a mile away from the football stadium. Had one good gust, didn't seem anywhere near 40 though.

Yep, I picked up only 0.25 here. It was very frustrating to only get moderate rain. Barely enough to water the garden. That storm looked so good when it was in Somerset county, but it weakened quickly and the worst of it went just to my south. Piscataway seems to repel t-storms. It's so frustrating how we constantly miss the good stuff.

Guest Pamela

I didn't see hail from my office but the rain and lightning was very intense-some wind too. Better than about 95% of the storms that ever make it to the South Shore. Hard to get excited about any kind of severe threat on Long Island. The 100+ degree heat provided plenty of fuel when the lid finally did pop off today.

Strange, I've lived on Long Island for the last 41 years and have seen hundreds of thunderstorms during that span....well, maybe it was just my imagination.

Got caught by a very heavy downpour in Middle Village. Drove down Woodhaven, in front of the storm, then it caught up to me by the Belt Parkway. Saw some amazing CG strikes there coming from the north. Insane, huge, colorful bolts. Really loud thunder too. Didn't see any hail despite some extremely heavy rain.

Archived