Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
JULY 2012 Severe Weather /Convection Discussion

NEG NAO

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was down in Point Pleasant today and got a great show!...shelf cloud and black sky as the storm approached...winds gusted to ~50 mph and the CG lightning was constant every second. Third time this year I've seen some extremely vivid lightning..walked to the beach and saw epic cg over water which was painted by a rainbow as the sunset came out behind it...then the mammatus clouds came out.

Nice 78 mph wind gust just a few miles over in Brick I see..Doesnt surprise me from observing the storm roll in, as it looked a bit worse to my south.. and also the radar shows an accelerating bow echo right through that section of ocean county.

Here are some pictures I caught

post-402-0-96393200-1341718763_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-41277900-1341718789_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-42867800-1341718828_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-55436000-1341718848_thumb.jpg

Nice man! Congrats on the storm. Got to see a good one after all.

Was just about to head over to New England forum to share with you guys, and also give you (and SPC) the props for more accurately portraying the best threat area yesterday! I really was buying into the slower front, New England scenario like the euro was showing, but it turns out that was not the case. As you can see though I benefited from it and was impressed with that storm!

Was just about to head over to New England forum to share with you guys, and also give you (and SPC) the props for more accurately portraying the best threat area yesterday! I really was buying into the slower front, New England scenario like the euro was showing, but it turns out that was not the case. As you can see though I benefited from it and was impressed with that storm!

Yeah that's awesome. Glad you saw a great storm. I just didn't like the cloud look up here and the crappy CAPE and lapse rates here. It actually was cloudier than I thought and nothing formed. I thought at least some storms would happen so that even busted.

I think I would have jumped off if I was up there and saw that coming. I hate those skyride things as it is but in a thunderstorm? no way

yeah...and actually people were stuck on that skyline thingy in the 2nd pic, as the storm rolled through...Must have been terrifying! That lightning was absolutely no joke, forget the severe criteria winds

yeah...and actually people were stuck on that skyline thingy in the 2nd pic, as the storm rolled through...Must have been terrifying! That lightning was absolutely no joke, forget the severe criteria winds

that second image shows how ignorant some people are to the approach of severe weather.

Today's radar estimated precip clearly shows the jackpot and bust zones... maybe a drop or two of rain here today. Lots of thunder though from the countless near misses to the south.

post-1753-0-26467500-1341723983_thumb.gi

I was in that big bust zone in northern Middlesex County. Frustrating that the storms missed to the north and south. The lawns around here have gone brown with all the heat and no rain in the last 2 weeks. With how bone dry it is out there, I was really hoping for at least a downpour today. Piscataway has the worst luck with summer t-storms.

You know, as much as this sounds unlikely, that area of t-storms in North-Central PA could pose an isolated strong storm threat to NYC / Central NJ on south during the early morning hours. It is maintaining itself under 65-70*F dew points and good moisture convergence on its path towards this area. We still have 40-45 knots of bulk shear over the area. If that multi-cluster can hold itself for the next few hours on its trek east, it can intensify some when the rising sun boosts our MLCAPE and SBCAPE. The cold front is still close to the south of our area until at least noon.

That storm yesterday evening in Central NJ was pretty powerful. Many people are now without power in portions of Central and Southern NJ due to fallen powerlines and trees.

I was in West Windsor NJ when the whole event unfolded. I knew we were in trouble when I saw the shelf cloud approaching, and saw the bow echo on radar. The wind picked up quickly, and twigs were flying everywhere. I started to hear cracking as I saw the neighbor's PATIO UMBRELLA get lifted up and thrown over the railing. It had snapped in half. A wooden chair was also thrown over the railing by the winds of the storm, and had broken as well. Many large branches were down, easily 15 feet+ with the greatest branches down.

That was an awesome storm to watch.

And some photos I gfound posted by friends on facebook...

First is the shelf cloud rolling into Long Branch and the second is the approach to Seaside Heights

post-402-0-51264000-1341719237_thumb.jpg

post-402-0-21038600-1341719340_thumb.jpg

Great shots. I have shelf cloud pics just like those but you saved me the work of uploading them. Ferocious looking skies prior to the storm and I honestly thought we would've gusted higher than 40mph given the appearance of the sky. However, the worst of the storm missed to my south. We lost power in Colts Neck/Holmdel for a little bit but thankfull it was restored quickly.

The lightning/thunder has been awesome so far this summer - let's keep it going. It seems like our active T-storm summers come every 3 years on average.

Well yesterday was an utter dissapointment for me. Its amazing every severe weather threat we've had this season has pretty much not materialized. Atleast for NYC east. The days we arent forecast to get much we get something, go figure haha. When's the next "legit" severe threat?

Guest Pamela

Well yesterday was an utter dissapointment for me. Its amazing every severe weather threat we've had this season has pretty much not materialized. Atleast for NYC east. The days we arent forecast to get much we get something, go figure haha. When's the next "legit" severe threat?

Seems it never rains in Northern Massapequa

Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before

It never rains in Massapequa

But girl, don't they warn ya

It pours, man it pours

So true.

So often as a youngster in the 11758 (Massapequa -Nassau Shores) Dr Field would show on his primitve radar awesome storms heading towards NYC/LI, I'd get excited, and they'd ingest cooler maritime air and fizzle. I do remember a green sky nickel hailer, and a couple of other good storms, but the DFW area, it was night and day for severe when we moved over 30 years ago.

Oh, awesome pics.

Ground shaking thunder. Sick.

couldnt be a storm last night, noreaster27 said there was no more storms.

In other news, the SPC WRF has had some rough times lately, way off yesterday with the placement of the storms, and a few fails last week too.

Archived