• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

For the extremist weenie, death ridges and "Siberian" troughs would be the norm every year. The global coolingists would have the winter to spout off why the global warmingist would have the summer. It would be the new era of good feelings.

Then severe weather weenies like myself could follow active severe seasons due to enhanced clashes during the transition between the two extremes...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am impressed that the effects of yesterday's CME have persisted for so long. If this keeps up for another 2 hours, I am going to head north...

Wow.png

One of the best auroras I've ever witnessed was directly overhead smack dab in the center of metro Detroit. It was in October 2001 Berkley MI, just around dusk. The overhead zenith was a maze swirl of red curtains. Brilliant red. Typical Aurora as it saved the best for nightfall when the purple and green curtains aligned from west to east in the northern sky. After that I saw them yet again in metro Detroit in 2006 Nov. A green curtain went up at dawn. I was driving to work through northeast Oakland county.

One of the best auroras I've ever witnessed was directly overhead smack dab in the center of metro Detroit. It was in October 2001 Berkley MI, just around dusk. The overhead zenith was a maze swirl of red curtains. Brilliant red. Typical Aurora as it saved the best for nightfall when the purple and green curtains aligned from west to east in the northern sky. After that I saw them yet again in metro Detroit in 2006 Nov. A green curtain went up at dawn. I was driving to work through northeast Oakland county.

Are you still in Northern Michigan, or are you back in Royal Oak?

We are seeing a few light green whisps to the north and northwest around 30-35 degrees from the horizon. We don't have a completely clear few of the entire north sky due to trees but have a few nice sized openings to look through. I am setting up the Nikon now. We'll see if our views are legit.

We are seeing a few light green whisps to the north and northwest around 30-35 degrees from the horizon. We don't have a completely clear few of the entire north sky due to trees but have a few nice sized openings to look through. I am setting up the Nikon now. We'll see if our views are legit.

Was looking from here, but either there is too much light pollution or clouds. They need to be fairly bright here to overcome the light pollution.

Muggy night, 76°/70° right now.

It would be nice if the solar activity stays amped right into the Fall. The clear and cleaner air makes these events visible to those in the slightly urbanized areas.

I see a faint but definite green glow coming through holes in the cirrus deck. Clouds should become more sporadic in coming hours though, and the aurora will get better towards and after midnight as usual. Kp going up again too, at 7.7 http://www.swpc.noaa...gkp_15m_24h.gif

12z euro looks cooler...  through day 7 ...

What goes up must come down.

Patiently waiting for fall.

Seeing a little flip flopping with the magnitude of the cool down. Even on the cooler end temps would probably still be around average. I don't know what it's going to take to get a (sustained) below average pattern.

Archived