BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ORD has maxed out at 89 thus far... Back down to 87 as of 1PM.

Clouds are increasing and a few cells are starting to develop, so it looks like it will fall just short of 90. Only the 2nd missed 90+ day of the year and the first 89, if it stands.

:lmao:

91 so far here. Didn't think we'd make it to 90 after most of the morning was socked in with clouds. Had a few showers early this morning drop 0.07" of rain. Not really enough to do anything.

Had some really nice towers overhead an hour or so ago but they've moved on. Sky pretty much cloud free now.

ORD has maxed out at 89 thus far... Back down to 87 as of 1PM.

Clouds are increasing and a few cells are starting to develop, so it looks like it will fall just short of 90. Only the 2nd missed 90+ day of the year and the first 89, if it stands.

Well...ORD somehow managed to hit 90.

28th 90+ day of the year.

I actually posted that just to see how you would react. :D

Hottest summer ever every summer with that guy. I joked earlier, but it wouldn't surprise me if he called for 100's in October this year.

4 more "rounds" is a lot to ask for imo. 1 or 2 is probably more realistic but I guess I wouldn't bet against anything in this summer.

Sure, maybe. Who knows?

For all intents and purposes, the summer of 1936 had four rounds of 100's at the WL COOP. However the hell you define "rounds of 100's" of course.

June 29

July 5-17

July 26-27

August 21-22

Managed to crack 90° briefly today before heavier clouds and showers moved in. 0.03" of rain today. Storm popped up to my NW near Burlington, WI. Air feels thick enough tonight, to cut it with a knife!

I'd be a fool to get too excited about storm prospects on Wednesday, but should have lots of instability in the presence of weak deep layer shear. Setup seems favorable for localized damaging wind/microburst potential.

Best to damper any tiny bit of enthusiasm you may have, right now. :(

I'd be a fool to get too excited about storm prospects on Wednesday, but should have lots of instability in the presence of weak deep layer shear. Setup seems favorable for localized damaging wind/microburst potential.

Looks like some nice towers going up all around you. Maybe you guys could finally get lucky today and get a quick storm.

Apparently there were a good amount of aurora across the Great Lakes before sunrise this morning.

I've seen some nice pictures from the MN/WI area. Around here it was too cloudy. SW Michigan may have gotten a good show for an hour or two before dawn, but I haven't seen any pictures from that area yet. Bz went strongly negative around 06z, which was followed by widespread sightings in the Lower 48 (I've seen pictures from as far south as NW Arkansas, which is impressive).

Bz3.png

IWX mentioned that this morning.

THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR GUSTY WINDS WITH STORMS

WEDNESDAY GIVEN LARGE D CAPES...PROBABLY AS MUCH AS 1800 TO 2000

J/KG COMBINED WITH CAPES AT LEAST 2000 J/KG. RIGHT NOW IT LOOKS

LIKE DIURNAL TIMING FOR STRONG STORMS WEDNESDAY LOOKS FAVORABLE

WITH GENERALLY A LATE AFTERNOON FROPA.

That is, IF anything develops. They also mentioned the possibility of hitting 100 both Tuesday and Wednesday, especially south of Fort Wayne on Wednesday.

I've seen some nice pictures from the MN/WI area. Around here it was too cloudy. SW Michigan may have gotten a good show for an hour or two before dawn, but I haven't seen any pictures from that area yet. Bz went strongly negative around 06z, which was followed by widespread sightings in the Lower 48 (I've seen pictures from as far south as NW Arkansas, which is impressive).

Bz3.png

Looks like it's still going, if only it lasts another 7 hours! I guess it might...

wingkp_15m_24h.gif

My location squeaked a 90 yesterday (31st day AOA 90 this year, fourth in a row). Today, it's been up to 93 so far, which is the 32nd day this year AOA 90 and the fifth in a row. Should be able for sure to add two more to both tallies Monday and Tuesday and possibly beyond depending upon timing of the cold front and how strong the cool-down is afterward.

Don't want to get ahead of myself too much...but there is a good chance that Chicago will see a Top 5 warmest July.

In fact, the extremely rare 80.0+ monthly mean temp is possible, if this general pattern continues for a couple more weeks.

July 1-14, 2012:

Mean temp 82.5

Top 5 warmest Julys:

(1) 81.3 - 1955

(2) 81.2 - 1921

(3) 79.0 - 2011

(4) 78.5 - 1977

(5) 78.5 - 1916

Note: July 2009 was the 7th coldest July on record (2nd coldest since 1892), with a mean temp of 69.4.

Archived