BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
July 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get to enjoy my last month in Indiana/Ohio. I just accepted a job as a meteorologist in Idaho. Big change, but I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't escape the drought, as it is plaguing those areas as well.

Congrats Brandon. And good luck with the new job. :)

Congratulations on your new position Brandon. I'm sure that you are going to miss storm chasing in the area, as well as this heat. ;)

It looks like the consecutive 90° strings may be in jeopardy for many Indiana locations today, with clouds and filtered sun across the state. I woke up to a combination of cirrus and altocumulus overhead. It would be a shame if this 17 day string is broken because it "only" got up to 89, especially since it looks like it will be 90+ for several more days.

An interesting tidbit posted by IND this morning:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

615 AM EDT SAT JUL 14 2012

...ON THIS DATE IN CENTRAL INDIANA WEATHER HISTORY...

1995 A HEAT WAVE KILLS 800000 CHICKENS IN SEYMOUR...

RESULTING IN LOSSES NEAR 1 MILLION DOLLARS.

There's a joke there somewhere, but I'll leave it to others.

An interesting tidbit posted by IND this morning:

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN

615 AM EDT SAT JUL 14 2012

...ON THIS DATE IN CENTRAL INDIANA WEATHER HISTORY...

1995 A HEAT WAVE KILLS 800000 CHICKENS IN SEYMOUR...

RESULTING IN LOSSES NEAR 1 MILLION DOLLARS.

There's a joke there somewhere, but I'll leave it to others.

Holy crap, that's a lot of chickens. Roughly $1.25 per chicken, eh?

Congrats, WeatherPimp, on the job!

Mostly cloudy skies here this morning -- some altostratus as well as some higher-based cumulus. Current temperature is 77. There is some very light rain showing up on the radar to my west in DeKalb County, but I tend to believe that more meaningful convection across much of northern Illinois (at least) that may have been slated to occur may be squelched by insufficient daytime heating due to the relatively extensive cloud-cover present. The LOT AFD mentioned this situation, as well.

Congrats, WeatherPimp, on the job!

Mostly cloudy skies here this morning -- some altostratus as well as some higher-based cumulus. Current temperature is 77. There is some very light rain showing up on the radar to my west in DeKalb County, but I tend to believe that more meaningful convection across much of northern Illinois (at least) that may have been slated to occur may be squelched by insufficient daytime heating due to the relatively extensive cloud-cover present. The LOT AFD mentioned this situation, as well.

Been pretty much full sun here all day and the deck to the west is decaying pretty quick...coverage will probably be slim but I like my shot at another pop up

It's been a cloudy morning until 9:45 or so. Quite a bit of clear sky now, temp up to 81°.

Edit: And... Had a shower this morning that raised the monthly rain total to 0.40", the same as last month!

Been pretty much full sun here all day and the deck to the west is decaying pretty quick...coverage will probably be slim but I like my shot at another pop up

Even here, clouds have decayed nicely, and temperature has warmed to about 85. The lake breeze might be a good focus again today, which is good for you, Alek. I also like the area from northwest Indiana down into east-central Illinois; there's an old outflow boundary evident there, and a few storms are going off there. The area in the vicinity of a surface boundary of sorts from northeast Iowa into southwest Wisconsin and northwest Illinois might be another area to watch, as there is a multi-cell cluster (with some linear features) already developed there. As for my area, I'm not terribly excited -- the presence of a forcing mechanism around here to break the cap just isn't as convincing as yesterday -- but we'll see.

I get to enjoy my last month in Indiana/Ohio. I just accepted a job as a meteorologist in Idaho. Big change, but I'm looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it looks like I won't escape the drought, as it is plaguing those areas as well.

Congrats man.

Archived