Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread III

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Storm moving out now. Great storm. It hailed for nearly 10 minutes! There was even some minor hail accumulation. Granted it was all pea sized, but still cool. Lots of cloud-to-ground lightning and brief gusty winds (20-30 knots) accompanied the storm as well. Definitely the best storm by far this year. The lawns got plenty of water as there are now pools of water it rained so fast.

Met question, frequently when in a T Storm a lightning strike happens, within seconds the rain rate rapidly increases. Is the rain rate which causes the lightning?

Non-met answer (my only college-level course was an intro to met - in 1966!) but I'm sure you're right. Probably the +RA results in an increase in static electricity. Be glad to hear the real explanation from a pro.

Most of my non-wx-weenie acquaintances think the lightning brings the rain, since the flash-bang precedes the downpour. That's silly, of course, as rain that lands 20 seconds post-boom has been falling for 5-10 minutes.

2:30 now, what time does it hit Jerry in Boston ? after 5 ? looks like movement is pretty slow.

Early evening. The limiting factor will be the cooler temps. If we can get some solar heating this afternoon things may hold together. We may have a few hours of sunlight to warm things up in eastern areas.

The line looks terrible.. What happened?

KFS FTL

NWS FTW

SKIES ARE SHOWING SOME CLEARING FROM WORCESTER COUNTY W

WHICH MAY AID IN THE CONVECTION WHICH IS SHOWING SIGNS OF FORMING

A DISCRETE LINE THIS HOUR...OTHERWISE...THE COOLED AIR OVER ERN

PORTIONS OF THE FA...MAY MITIGATE DESTABILIZATION.

:axe:

Give it a chance, but I mentioned being a little unsure this morning of how this would develop since clearing was slow. I think it's going as planned so far.

Yeah, I'm still optimistic we see thing progress east. I like the idea of these developing further SW along the frontal boundary.

Non-met answer (my only college-level course was an intro to met - in 1966!) but I'm sure you're right. Probably the +RA results in an increase in static electricity. Be glad to hear the real explanation from a pro.

Most of my non-wx-weenie acquaintances think the lightning brings the rain, since the flash-bang precedes the downpour. That's silly, of course, as rain that lands 20 seconds post-boom has been falling for 5-10 minutes.

I've seen that phenomenon before, but just as often (including this past Saturday's line), I've seen the heavy rain start without much nearby lightning, then the last half of the storm brings some close strikes. I was thinking that was due to the line reforming on the front and hasn't electrified yet while the second half is the old weakening, but still electrified storm.

Archived