• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread III

CoastalWx

From 812 till 816, there were 7 direct strikes in my neighborhood. Simultaneous flash/thunder, it was an epic couple minutes, I think Scooter had some spiritual lightning moment last year? Anyways, best lightning I have ever seen in Ct, sweet.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From 812 till 816, there were 7 direct strikes in my neighborhood. Simultaneous flash/thunder, it was an epic couple minutes, I think Scooter had some spiritual lightning moment last year? Anyways, best lightning I have ever seen in Ct, sweet.

I love/hate close strikes. My thoughts changed when the pole in front of my house got hit. I want my home to exist.

I love/hate close strikes. My thoughts changed when the pole in front of my house got hit. I want my home to exist.

Looking at the nyc threads, lightning is stealing the show, hopefully these storms can hang on as they move east, it was special.

Friday and now this morning have both delivered impressive lightning down my way in C NJ. Extremely heavy rain and skies darkening like it was nighttime were also noteworthy things from this morning. That storm in C NJ is mainly about the hail. There was hardly any wind but maybe it dodged me.

Father is on Block Island leaving soon with his boat to return to Pt Judith. What sort of time frame are we looking for RI?

Tell him to stay at Block Island and watch the storm, Block Island is one of my favorite places to be when a storm is coming. It gives you such a great view of incoming storms.

are you back in Fairfield now? That lightning was sick!

I am! As others said, it was all about the lightning. Not a lick of wind, and no hail(at least here) but damn the thunder/lightning show was something else.

Friday and now this morning have both delivered impressive lightning down my way in C NJ. Extremely heavy rain and skies darkening like it was nighttime were also noteworthy things from this morning. That storm in C NJ is mainly about the hail. There was hardly any wind but maybe it dodged me.

I didn't receive any major wind - 30 mph maybe? - but did receive hail. It was only pea-sized, but any hail here is sort of an "event". We also got over an inch of rain in about 15 minutes along with the impressive lightning.

I have to say, it was pretty cool. I was sitting in bed on Radarscope, checked the Zdr and HCA out of Mount Holly, saw a hail signature, opened my door, and saw hail. :lol: Technology is quite the thing.

any thoughts on Thursday and Friday?

I didn't receive any major wind - 30 mph maybe? - but did receive hail. It was only pea-sized, but any hail here is sort of an "event". We also got over an inch of rain in about 15 minutes along with the impressive lightning.

I have to say, it was pretty cool. I was sitting in bed on Radarscope, checked the Zdr and HCA out of Mount Holly, saw a hail signature, opened my door, and saw hail. :lol: Technology is quite the thing.

I agree that this morning's storm was cool and that is always awesome when the radar and actual weather are in sync. :)

This brings me back to September 2003 when I woke up to a tornado warning (later on they rated the tornado an F1 in Lawrence).Of course, I was up this time long before the thunderstorm's arrival but they weren't quite like 2003, lol.

any thoughts on Thursday and Friday?

I find it interesting that we are sort of repeating early June in a broad-sense. There will be a tropical system off the Southeast Coast as a warm mid level anomaly (presumably the EML) moves overhead into the Northeast. The difference this time is that the models track the h7 anomaly into the Mid Atlantic. I'd like to see this trend north if I'm going to get exited for a New England EML day.

I find it interesting that we are sort of repeating early June in a broad-sense. There will be a tropical system off the Southeast Coast as a warm mid level anomaly (presumably the EML) moves overhead into the Northeast. The difference this time is that the models track the h7 anomaly into the Mid Atlantic. I'd like to see this trend north if I'm going to get exited for a New England EML day.

It's a ridiculous EML lol. 15c at 700? There appears to be a nice juxtaposition of strong mid-level flow, an EML, and strong instability over Ohio/PA on Friday.

It's a ridiculous EML lol. 15c at 700? There appears to be a nice juxtaposition of strong mid-level flow, an EML, and strong instability over Ohio/PA on Friday.

It is definitely ridiculous. The models look pretty scary from OH down into VA. Major EML / tornadic soundings showing up with veering profiles and favorable deep layer shear.

It could be the Mid Atlantic's turn.

It is definitely ridiculous. The models look pretty scary from OH down into VA. Major EML / tornadic soundings showing up with veering profiles and favorable deep layer shear.

It could be the Mid Atlantic's turn.

I didn't really see strong low-level turning in the sounding yet. Winds are kinda weak below 800mb...I wonder if that changes as we get closer.

I didn't really see strong low-level turning in the sounding yet. Winds are kinda weak below 800mb...I wonder if that changes as we get closer.

I agree that the low level turning and flow is not quite there yet but there is definitely early signs of a strong mid level wind max / warm front. If we see trends in the modeling for more ridge riders (MCS) on the cooler side (relatively speaking haha), then perhaps we will see the low level winds increase more in future runs.

I know its day 5, but the 00z gfs soundings are insane Friday aftn and deserve a mention.

post-402-0-27072300-1340644855_thumb.png

What location is that for?

The h7 anomaly is ridiculous but seems to be more south this go-around. Although, that could change in a second.

Archived