Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread III

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non T-storm winds yesterday around 6pm in Seekonk yesterday, Multiple trees down, power outage for almost 4 hours in my neighborhood. tree debris everywhere, main road 152 almost completely blocked by huge oak. Just wild and def unexpected by me

Might have a decent chance this way if we can at least get a little heating.

Models have had some very steep mid level lapse rates, good shear, and I'm impressed that both GFS/NAM have produced a good bit of surface based instability even with early setup.

Models have had some very steep mid level lapse rates, good shear, and I'm impressed that both GFS/NAM have produced a good bit of surface based instability even with early setup.

Yeah pretty impressive to see possibly as much as 1500 J/KG of SBCape and LI's near -4C or even -5C during the early morning hours.

I don't know probably is too early. Models have kept best sb instability of E SNE actually.

Down from like NYC to NJ models have much stronger instability along with some really great shear and pretty steep mid-level lapse rates...they may do better for severe than we will up this way but we'll have to see how far north than stronger instability can make it.

Duxbury is going to get nailed. At least people on CC Bay have been able to see this thing coming for the last hour.

Only just got home now, so a little late on the uptake, but had to read postings around the time of those storms yesterday. I was out on Gurnet point, end of Duxbury beach watching the whole thing evolve. I have some pics of it, will post in a bit. I could see all the storms on the South Shore but the clouds on the southern flank from Duxbury into Plymouth were having a hard time building, and some even fizzled due to the southeast seabreeze. So I was sure that the storm would miss over Marshfield, but that one storm started sending an outflow south/southwest, which I watched approaching the Gurnet. Switched the wind right into the north and became pretty gusty. Again, I thought that's all there would be, but then I could see new ones forming Kingston/Plymouth area and maybe 5 minutes later, I could see a wall of water then moving right down the beach. Don't have an anemometer, but my guess was the wind peaked 40, maybe 50 in the gust front and then again during the storm. Didn't see any hail, and I've seen worse lightning but all in all, not bad with 500 foot visibility in wind driven rain. Ended up with 0.75 inches of rain, and afterwards, one of the most spectacular full double rainbows I've seen. I'll post the pics I got in a bit.

Archived