Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
Northeast Severe/Convective/Thunder thread III

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, had a pretty decent period of winds and heavy rain. A few close strikes, best part was the temp dropping 19 degrees in fifteen or so minutes.

Nice cooldown. Opening all windows once the lightning threat ends...had a decent positive strike about 7 minutes ago. Shook house. lol hovering at 67 here for the past several hours. 82 hi. Probably around the same in your area.

Monday is the most interesting imo, didn't expect anything today and a few close lightning strikes (one was probably 500 feet away) was good enough.

Has anyone else been having loading problems with American or is it just me? It may just be chrome in general b/c chrome has been completely terrible for me lately and I don't know why. Several different websites taking FOREVER to load and I keep getting high computer usage messages from chrome...I did a google search to fix that and I turned off this spyware/malware thing but it doesn't seem to be helping.

KBOS 232218Z 35015G24KT 1/2SM R04R/2200VP6000FT +TSGRRA FEW008 BKN023CB OVC060 19/17 A2987 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 3/4 GRB16 OCNL LTGCG TS OHD MOV E GR 1/4 P0020

KBOS 232154Z 03012KT 1/2SM R04R/4500VP6000FT -TSRA FEW008 BKN018CB OVC060 19/17 A2984 RMK AO2 PK WND 32038/2129 WSHFT 2115 SFC VIS 2 1/2 TSB03RAB13 SLP104 FRQ LTGCG TS E MOV E P0068 T01890167

Well as far as Monday goes there are all kinds of questions and typically when we see setups like this more often than not they don't really produce a great deal, usually any severe weather is more isolated, however, those isolated cells can really pack a major punch.

Anyways here are some of the issues:

1) Timing

Major timing differences on hand here...looks like the GFS is a bit slower with the front than the NAM is which would be a good thing as we'd have a better chance to destabilize more if conditions were to warrant that.

2) Column too moist

With the column too moist this usually means we are soaked in with clouds and it's hard to get widespread clearing and widespread area of good instability to develop. With the profile moist-adiabatic this is also a mid-level lapse rate killer so this would lead to weaker lapse rates.

3) Low-level flow

It's possible a pre-frontal comes through too early which could make the surface winds more westerly which would lead to dewpoints mixing out a bit. Plus, while it does appear the mid-level/upper level front will arrive before the surface front this drier air working in aloft in the mid-levels would now have a way to mix down to the surface lowering the dewpoints. Yes, this also would break up the clouds and give us more sun but it would be false hope as in THIS case more sun = less in the way of storms as the lower dewpoints means lower instability values.

This setup may actually be more fun just off to our south and west where stronger instability/shear may align better.

Just after my previous post, 1/4 inch hail started falling. The power went out. Afew minutes after that 3/8-1/2 inch hail was falling. Winds were still strong. We had big branches dangling from trees from last fall which are no longer dangling. They've fallen. We also lost the top half of another tree during the hailing and winds. 7 inch diameter about 10 feet long.

Post storm, saw a double rainbow and rain measured 1 1/4 inches.

Just after my previous post, 1/4 inch hail started falling. The power went out. Afew minutes after that 3/8-1/2 inch hail was falling. Winds were still strong. We had big branches dangling from trees from last fall which are no longer dangling. They've fallen. We also lost the top half of another tree during the hailing and winds. 7 inch diameter about 10 feet long.

Post storm, saw a double rainbow and rain measured 1 1/4 inches.

Where in Essex county are you?

What time did the hail start/end?

Also, what's the name of the street? (if you don't want to say here you can PM me).

Where in Essex county are you?

What time did the hail start/end?

Also, what's the name of the street? (if you don't want to say here you can PM me).

Sorry, I was looking for my previous post.

I am in the North Andover corner where Boxford/Middleton/NA nearly meet: Forest St/Cedar Lane is the closest intersection.

I do not have the exact time of the first hail. (I will next time). My previous post time was 3:36 so I would say about 3:40. The power went out just before the 1/4 inch hail. The hail (both sizes) lasted for at least 25 minutes. I was surprised by how long it kept going. I was supposed to be next door for dinner. LOL Rain continued afterward. It was about 4:20 when the storm was rumbling far enough to the east for me to wade through some very soggy, slightly flooded woods westward.

Sorry, I was looking for my previous post.

I am in the North Andover corner where Boxford/Middleton/NA nearly meet: Forest St/Cedar Lane is the closest intersection.

I do not have the exact time of the first hail. (I will next time). My previous post time was 3:36 so I would say about 3:40. The power went out just before the 1/4 inch hail. The hail (both sizes) lasted for at least 25 minutes. I was surprised by how long it kept going. I was supposed to be next door for dinner. LOL Rain continued afterward. It was about 4:20 when the storm was rumbling far enough to the east for me to wade through some very soggy, slightly flooded woods westward.

Excellent report! Thanks!!!

18z GFS/NAM actually have a severe signal for Monday morning from sunrise-10 a.m. or so here in CT. Certainly goes against climo... but I guess anything is possible.

15z SPC SREF does as well.

Monday begins my first full time day for summer camp too. I'll be waking up around 4:38 though...have to do my craigslist postings, take a shower, and look over 0z data/3z SPC SREF (or 21z SPC SREF if 3z isn't out yet), 6z data, and see day 1 outlook. Going into work around 5:45 AM so I can play hickey by myself from 7:10 AM to 8:20 AM.

Archived