• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
Tropical Storm Chris

And a favorable naming environment in Miami. I think it's fair to say these things wouldn't be named 5-10 years ago. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the new normal.

Better than years like 73 or 75 where they named every region of persistent convection a tropical depression. 28 TDs in 1975, but only 9 TSs!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a favorable naming environment in Miami. I think it's fair to say these things wouldn't be named 5-10 years ago. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the new normal.

It is what it is PSU. NHC has validated their reasoning for calling it a tropical cyclone and I challenge you to find similar systems that have formed at such a laditude in June.

I'm one of those that believes if it is a tropical cyclone, it is a tropical cyclone. Just like our current technology and understanding of atmospheric science allows us to find more tornadoes in the empty parts of the Plains states, so too does it allow us to understand tropical/subtropical cyclones more and classify them as such.

Personally, I find this system really interesting in context with the first two we have had. It isn't exactly often that we have found this many occurrences of tropical cyclones this early, and it will be interesting to see if it means anything for the coming year.

I'm not saying they're wrong. It could be argued that it's not tropical, it could be argued that it is. It falls on the continuum somwhere and, ultimately, NHC is the final arbiter of what is and is not a tropical cyclone on that continuum. The goalposts have clearly moved since the late 90s/early 00s, but there's nothing wrong with that. And I don't know what you are talking about with a challenge to me. Sorry I don't have a catalog of null events over the last decade lying around.

I tried to make it not seem like a personal attack, from what I can tell; Chris is a very unique TS and not something as slight as a mere naming convention.

Not too enthusiastic about writing advisories for this one...

WTNT33 KNHC 192053

TCPAT3

BULLETIN

TROPICAL STORM CHRIS ADVISORY NUMBER 1

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL032012

500 PM EDT TUE JUN 19 2012

...ANOTHER HIGH-LATITUDE TROPICAL STORM FORMS...NO THREAT TO LAND...

Drats.

Enter a shameless bump for Conference II. Jack Beven will be discussing this very issue as our keynote speaker Saturday night:

To Name Or Not To Name A Tropical Cyclone: Data And Decision Making At The National Hurricane Center

Enter a shameless bump for Conference II. Jack Beven will be discussing this very issue as our keynote speaker Saturday night:

To Name Or Not To Name A Tropical Cyclone: Data And Decision Making At The National Hurricane Center

Well played. ;)

Someone better get that one on film.

I must be the only person on here that doesn't understand why so many are "disappointed" or "upset" when the NHC names systems like this.

I can tell you exactly why I get confused (though I am neither disappointed nor upset): sometimes these type of systems (LL warm core/UL cold core/symmetric/weak temp gradient) are named, sometimes they're non-tropical, sometimes they let the local WFOs handle them. When you work in the private sector, you have to forecast NHC as much as you forecast the sensible weather. When they break from traditional naming conventions, it creates more work and confusion for my clients. Like I said above, it's really not that big of a deal. The sensible weather isn't changing. It's just a change in the naming convention.

I can tell you exactly why I get confused (though I am neither disappointed nor upset): sometimes these type of systems (LL warm core/UL cold core/symmetric/weak temp gradient) are named, sometimes they're non-tropical, sometimes they let the local WFOs handle them. When you work in the private sector, you have to forecast NHC as much as you forecast the sensible weather. When they break from traditional naming conventions, it creates more work and confusion for my clients. Like I said above, it's really not that big of a deal. The sensible weather isn't changing. It's just a change in the naming convention.

That makes sense... but then again, if we didn't adapt our naming/classification conventions to our ever growing understanding of the science, where would we be?

I must be the only person on here that doesn't understand why so many are "disappointed" or "upset" when the NHC names systems like this.

There's at least 2 of us. I think it's important for the historical record to name systems like this. It is a tropical cyclone, meets every requirement.

That makes sense... but then again, if we didn't adapt our naming/classification conventions to our ever growing understanding of the science, where would we be?

Sure. I'm ok with this being the new normal. After Alberto and Chris, I'm going to be much more bullish on my high latitude TCG forecasts. It's not like I got the sensible weather wrong. And to be fair, I've been out of grad school for 4 years now. I try to stay up on the literature, but maybe I missed something. From working in Dr. Evans' group in the mid-00s (which is where a lot of the CPS research was originating, as you know), this would be subtropical or non-tropical because of B and VTU, but things change.

There's at least 2 of us. I think it's important for the historical record to name systems like this. It is a tropical cyclone, meets every requirement.

Well, except the weak temperature gradient normal to the motion vector and cold core aloft.

I'm never disappointed. In fact, it's actually kind of fun to see a certain private met go on another ever-predictable tweet-rant whenever something like this occurs. :whistle:

GFS deepens it as an extratropical storm. Then it does a phase360 with the shortwave behind it kind of like the perfect storm. This type of total phase usually only happens when there's blocking to the north to keep the southern disturbance from escaping. There a pretty good block to the NW of this storm, it still may have an Easterly escape route.

Would be a cool storm if it was over Philly.

http://www.meteo.psu...2z/gfsloop.html

With this much persistent deep convection in a tight circulation do you still stand by the above statement? http://www.ssd.noaa....h-avn-long.html

Yup. Looks like temp gradient got weaker overnight, but winds still increase with height above 600mb. I don't understand what deep convection and tight circulations have to do with what I said. MCCs have deep convection and tight circulations, but are still cold core and have temperature gradients.

I agree. Only problem is that in the real world, people will believe claims that the weather is becoming more viral in nature, and thus increasing insurance rates for the average person. So even though naming storms can and are justified, it has allowed some (insurance companies) to rake homeowners over the coals with false claims of increased risk. As you said, the Chris' of the world have always been there, they're just named now. This to me is the only valid reason to be upset over naming storms.

See relate articles, especially the second one:

http://www.myrtlebea...ss-leaders.html

http://insurancenews...344996&type=all

Exerpt:

Today, it's not unusual for some Lowcountry homeowners to pay more in insurance than property taxes. How did it get so bad?

The S.C. Insurance News Service, a nonprofit group funded by insurance companies, cites a mix of factors: dramatic growth in coastal South Carolina; rising property values; increased building costs; and new meteorological predictions that the world has entered a period of higher storm frequencies.

They named TS Chris over 23C waters at almost 40N? WTF?

Vertical temperature gradient in the troposphere is just as important as SSTs in permitting a disturbance to undergo tropical development. The upper-level environment is colder than usual in the vicinity of TC Chris, if you glance at the dynamic tropopause map in the link below. A steep enough gradient can allow convective growth necessary to sustain a tropical disturbance.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/kgriffin/maps/dt/dt_namer_loop.html

Archived