Tropical Storm Chris

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50% it is

TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK

NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

200 PM EDT MON JUN 18 2012

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY ASSOCIATED WITH A SMALL NON-TROPICAL LOW

PRESSURE CENTER HAS BECOME BETTER ORGANIZED TODAY. THIS SYSTEM IS

PRODUCING GALE-FORCE WINDS AND IS LOCATED ABOUT 400 MILES

NORTH-NORTHEAST OF BERMUDA. THE LOW HAS GRADUALLY BEEN ACQUIRING

TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS AND IF THE THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY PERSISTS

IT COULD BECOME A SUBTROPICAL OR TROPICAL CYCLONE LATER TODAY OR

TUESDAY. THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...50 PERCENT...OF

BECOMING A SUBTROPICAL OR TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS

AS IT MOVES NORTHEASTWARD AT AROUND 10 MPH. FOR ADDITIONAL

INFORMATION ON THIS SYSTEM...PLEASE SEE HIGH SEAS FORECASTS ISSUED

BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER.

This is why I hate these types of short-duration systems.

Puffs up by the diurnal max and cr@ps out like clockwork by the diurnal minimum.

2012AL95_1KMSRVIS_201206191545.gif

Except this system seems to be peaking convectively in the early to late afternoon is traditionally considered the diurnal minimum. Shear was the main culprit that disrupted the convective pattern last night, and now that we have seem some temporary relaxation, the increased temperatures gradient between the colder than normal mid-upper atmosphere with the marginal sea surface temperatures is allowing for moderate convection to develop over the center. The convection is a bit deeper today than yesterday and I think this system has a 6-12 hour window to reach STS or TS strength if the convection can persist.

I think shear has been the main culprit in the intensity change of this disturbance as well, and now shear is below 10 kt and it's over the Gulf Stream, so things are looking up. Satellite presentation is better than ever. NHC is probably wary to pull the trigger until tonight considering the system's behavior yesterday, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't classified tonight. More details on my blog: http://weather.schematical.com/

post-645-0-89816200-1340134093_thumb.png

Really? STS or TS?

Rumblings are that it's fully tropical based on a T1.5 estimate earlier.

AL, 03, 201206191745, 10, DVTS, CI, , 3940N, 5800W, , 2, 25, 2, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , L, SAB, GS, VI, 3, 1515 /////, , , GOES13, LLCC, T, DT=1.5 BO CBND MET=0.0 PT=0.0 FTBO DT

19/1745 UTC   39.4N	 58.0W	   T1.5/1.5		 95L

With the switch to a -NAO and transition to Niño, E coast/mid latitude TS/STS have found good conditions for their genesis.

And a favorable naming environment in Miami. I think it's fair to say these things wouldn't be named 5-10 years ago. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the new normal.

And a favorable naming environment in Miami. I think it's fair to say these things wouldn't be named 5-10 years ago. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the new normal.

It is what it is PSU. NHC has validated their reasoning for calling it a tropical cyclone and I challenge you to find similar systems that have formed at such a laditude in June.

It is what it is PSU. NHC has validated their reasoning for calling it a tropical cyclone and I challenge you to find similar systems that have formed at such a laditude in June.

I'm not saying they're wrong. It could be argued that it's not tropical, it could be argued that it is. It falls on the continuum somwhere and, ultimately, NHC is the final arbiter of what is and is not a tropical cyclone on that continuum. The goalposts have clearly moved since the late 90s/early 00s, but there's nothing wrong with that. And I don't know what you are talking about with a challenge to me. Sorry I don't have a catalog of null events over the last decade lying around.

Archived