• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
E PA/NJ/DE/NE MD: Banter thread

The onlly thing I'm waiting for now is the severe thunderstorm warning now that we have the excessive heat warning! The warning is also for tomorrow with forecast highs in the low 90's at the hottest time of the year and when philly over the last several years has been averaging close to 90 in july!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Kind of seem like this storm was a whimper just like Hurricane Irene was. The news made it seem like the end of the world was coming".

Found this posted on another message board in the wake of the storms yesterday. No wonder why much of public doesn't even take heed to watches/warnings these days.

Amazing that when a severe event doesn't hit home directly, people are so quick to criticize. Tell that to the people in northern PA and southern NY state. The threat was there for a large area yesterday....the (strongly worded) heads up was warranted in my opinion.

"Kind of seem like this storm was a whimper just like Hurricane Irene was. The news made it seem like the end of the world was coming".

Found this posted on another message board in the wake of the storms yesterday. No wonder why much of public doesn't even take heed to watches/warnings these days.

Amazing that when a severe event doesn't hit home directly, people are so quick to criticize. Tell that to the people in northern PA and southern NY state. The threat was there for a large area yesterday....the (strongly worded) heads up was warranted in my opinion.

I'm making a comment about this online this morning (not the comment in particular but overuse of the "d" word). Awareness is great but throwing around the d word too often, too loosely isn't a good thing. Not every line of severe thunderstorms is a derecho...the problem is when you have people like Forbes and the SPC throwing it around as loosely as they have been over the past month it leads to crying wolf syndrome.

I think highlighting the potential for widespread wind damage, nasty line of storms, severe wx is completely in bounds and legit. After 6/29, seeing nearly any possible threat of a derecho pumped up and played up goes right into hype mode and leads to people criticizing when we merely get 45-50 mph winds blowing through a major metro while 150 miles away gets slammed with the worst of worst. It also doesn't help when some locally played up the hype when it was pretty clear the worst threat was north of us days in advance and even yesterday.

Could have definitely been much worse..luckily it wasn't. That said, a number of ppl in the wx community should choose their words more carefully because of comments like the one above.

That said, a number of ppl in the wx community should choose their words more carefully because of comments like the one above.

I actually feel like most people in the online wx community have done a good job pointing out that not every MCS is a derecho and that not every derecho is like 6/29. Some through science, some through sarcasm (*ahem*). Unfortunately, the online wx community doesn't have quite the audience of, say, Henry Margusity, who has been the biggest hack out there this week.

I'm making a comment about this online this morning (not the comment in particular but overuse of the "d" word). Awareness is great but throwing around the d word too often, too loosely isn't a good thing. Not every line of severe thunderstorms is a derecho...the problem is when you have people like Forbes and the SPC throwing it around as loosely as they have been over the past month it leads to crying wolf syndrome.

I think highlighting the potential for widespread wind damage, nasty line of storms, severe wx is completely in bounds and legit. After 6/29, seeing nearly any possible threat of a derecho pumped up and played up goes right into hype mode and leads to people criticizing when we merely get 45-50 mph winds blowing through a major metro while 150 miles away gets slammed with the worst of worst. It also doesn't help when some locally played up the hype when it was pretty clear the worst threat was north of us days in advance and even yesterday.

Could have definitely been much worse..luckily it wasn't. That said, a number of ppl in the wx community should choose their words more carefully because of comments like the one above.

Yeah, and it's for this reason I don't watch/listen to TWC or local media outlets (for the most part). The National Weather Service website has all I need in terms of "real deal" discussion as well as forecasting tools.

The media many times does go overboard and it leads to public reactions like I posted. It's sad. I noticed one severe report in Jersey yesterday of a tree down on a house injuring 3, including an infant. IF that would have led to a death you would have heard KILLER STORMS BLOW THROUGH NJ......DAMAGE SWATH EXTENDS THROUGH UPSTATE NY AND PENNSYLVANIA. It's just the way the media rolls I guess.

It's just frustrating to those who's jobs are to forecast, warn and try and protect the public. Alot of public tends to forget meteorology is a science.

I actually feel like most people in the online wx community have done a good job pointing out that not every MCS is a derecho and that not every derecho is like 6/29. Some through science, some through sarcasm (*ahem*). Unfortunately, the online wx community doesn't have quite the audience of, say, Henry Margusity, who has been the biggest hack out there this week.

The SPC probably didn't help matters when they started up with it in the Day 2 on Wednesday PM.

Forbes has also hyped up two non-derechos that had no shot of becoming one as "possible" -- 7/7 and the Thursday AM MCS that fizzled out.

Yeah, and it's for this reason I don't watch/listen to TWC or local media outlets (for the most part). The National Weather Service website has all I need in terms of "real deal" discussion as well as forecasting tools.

The media many times does go overboard and it leads to public reactions like I posted. It's sad. I noticed one severe report in Jersey yesterday of a tree down on a house injuring 3, including an infant. IF that would have led to a death you would have heard KILLER STORMS BLOW THROUGH NJ......DAMAGE SWATH EXTENDS THROUGH UPSTATE NY AND PENNSYLVANIA. It's just the way the media rolls I guess.

It's just frustrating to those who's jobs are to forecast, warn and try and protect the public. Alot of public tends to forget meteorology is a science.

I agree, and the WFO email alerts, while voluminous during an event, are very informative and fluid. Just the facts...

I agree, and the WFO email alerts, while voluminous during an event, are very informative and fluid. Just the facts...

I push so hard telling family and friends about the NWS website because it's so damn good, and FREE! Instead they'll look at a TWC app. and see partly sunny, 30% chance of a thunderstorm and go on with their days. :axe:

Archived