Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...today felt like it was August or September...

Well forget August or September for today’s weather, I stepped out of work a little while ago and it felt more like October with the cool air, rain, and raw wind. Indeed, I just looked at the BTV NWS page and Burlington is at 59° F. I’m seeing a reading of 47° F on the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline, and at the Mt. Washington summit it’s 41.8°F with a wind chill of 29.7°F. It’s 57° F here at the house. From what I can see for the BTV normals, it looks like the average high temperature for this date is 79 F, so I’d argue that today will come in below normal, although I’m sure the SNE thread could come up with some sort of argument to counter that assertion.

Ridiculous cold for this time of year... highs in the 50s for a lot of spots in VT today.

My home station is showing a max of 58.7 (59F) since midnight, and a low of 52F. I doubt I'll see 60F by midnight.

ASOS high temps so far since midnight:

BTV...61F

MVL...60F

MPV...58F

RUT...57F

SLK...55F

Well forget August or September for today’s weather, I stepped out of work a little while ago and it felt more like October with the cool air, rain, and raw wind. Indeed, I just looked at the BTV NWS page and Burlington is at 59° F. I’m seeing a reading of 47° F on the Mt. Mansfield ridgeline, and at the Mt. Washington summit it’s 41.8°F with a wind chill of 29.7°F. It’s 57° F here at the house. From what I can see for the BTV normals, it looks like the average high temperature for this date is 79 F, so I’d argue that today will come in below normal, although I’m sure the SNE thread could come up with some sort of argument to counter that assertion.

I'd be going nuts right now if this were winter... the winds are perfect right now to like 10K feet for upslope and there's a whole slug of moisture moving south out of Canada.

Upslope time with this type of wind and the high RH values...

Moisture moving southward, too... it would be game on in January.

Man I really hope we get something like this next winter... would be an awesome set-up.

I love cut-off low pressure systems that just sit and spin somewhere in Maine or the adjacent Maritimes. It seems that any vertically stacked low in Maine is a climo favored heavy precipitation maker for northern Vermont, especially due to the local topography. Its like that big upslope event in April, and also the one in February... all you need to see is a nice,low over Maine or drifting into adjacent Canada, and its game on for precipitation here.

Man I really hope we get something like this next winter... would be an awesome set-up.

I love cut-off low pressure systems that just sit and spin somewhere in Maine or the adjacent Maritimes. It seems that any vertically stacked low in Maine is a climo favored heavy precipitation maker for northern Vermont, especially due to the local topography. Its like that big upslope event in April, and also the one in February... all you need to see is a nice,low over Maine or drifting into adjacent Canada, and its game on for precipitation here.

I was thinking the same thing. These are the types of systems where we seem to get constant light snow over a long period of time.

A cool meso-scale feature taking place with this event locally is some relatively rare NW flow downsloping in the immediate Stowe/Waterbury valley areas. Something about the flow aloft must be just right because we don't usually see this pronounced dry slot down the valley here immediately east of the Spine. The downslope drying is pretty much following the RT 100 corridor down towards Warren and Waitsfield in the Sugarbush area.

You can see the Green Mountain Spine and western slopes are picking up significant rainfall this evening, while we've been seeing more of a steady drizzle and light rain mix. I am not far enough up RT 108 to get into the heavy rainfall, but just came from a friend's house a couple miles up the road and it has been pouring there all evening. As usual, the closer you get to Mount Mansfield, the harder the precipitation falls (Mansfield is located to the NW of the Stowe marker where the RT 108 almost touches the zig-zag county line).

You can really see on the precip totals how the western flanks of Mount Mansfield are getting some solid rains of around an inch or more, while the immediate east side of Mansfield at the base of the ski resort is coming in with about 0.20" less than the western side of the mountain..but still appreciable amounts. Further down here in the village we are at like a third of that, with right around 0.3".

Thanks for the excellent updates PF, great observations featuring the Green Mountain upslope area. I can pass on my precipitation observations from here along the spine in the Winooski Valley. I’m not sure of the interval for those precipitation amounts in the WunderMap® image above, but we’d picked up two thirds of an inch of liquid in the gauge by 6:00 A.M. this morning, and I just checked at 10:00 P.M. – there’s already more than an additional inch in there now and it was pouring. If this was winter you know it would be quite a hum dinger of a period for snow. I’m certainly looking forward to more of these in the coming cold season; this past winter had a couple nice upslope storm cycles, but was woefully deficient in general.

I just checked at 10:00 P.M. – there’s already more than an additional inch in there now and it was pouring…

The continued precipitation left 2.11” of liquid in the gauge as of the 6:00 A.M. observations this morning, and it was still coming down steadily, so there will be a bit more to add to that. It looks like 1.84” of liquid was picked up on Mt. Mansfield as of yesterday evening’s report, but that number will likely jump quite a bit when today’s report comes in.

The continued precipitation left 2.11” of liquid in the gauge as of the 6:00 A.M. observations this morning, and it was still coming down steadily, so there will be a bit more to add to that. It looks like 1.84” of liquid was picked up on Mt. Mansfield as of yesterday evening’s report, but that number will likely jump quite a bit when today’s report comes in.

Is that your storm total so far?

It looks like through this morning so far, the weather station at the base of Mansfield is also over 2", along with the other sites on the west side.

Stowe Base Area has had 3 days of precip so far, with 0.45", then 1.23", and now 0.65" so far today. So like 2.33" so far.

Smuggs Base Area over the past 3 days is showing... 0.15", 1.50", 0.45 so far today for a total of 2.10".

It will be interesting to see what the Mansfield Co-Op comes in with as I would bet they are 3"+ storm total now given as the lower elevations on either side of the mountain are over 2".

And you are right, J.Spin... this would be quite a solid event in the winter.

The CoCoRAHS reports this morning should be interesting. I want to compare the Stowe Village one with your numbers. Usually they are quite close but I think this morning we'll see a big difference. Even yesterday I think they were within 0.03" of each other.

High of only 59F yesterday. That should balance out one of the 89s we had last week. Amazing to have a high a full thirty degrees cooler than just five days prior. Might not get much warmer today either.

Only 0.20" in the bucket this morning. We never had much in the way of actual rain yesterday but instead, a steady sheet drizzle, which is still falling this morning. Very breezy too.

Can I post here?

Sure man, come on in. As noted above, often a sanctuary from silliness. ;)

Is that your storm total so far?

The storm total at the house through 6:00 A.M. this morning was 2.76”, with the 2.11” from the past 24 hours being the big contributor. Looking at the CoCoRaHS precipitation maps from the 25th and 26th, you’ll see that the distribution of rainfall was fairly uniform, but based on the preliminary maps I’ve seen so far from this morning, it looks like the spine/western slopes will be standing out a bit more.

Well the West Branch of the Little River here in Stowe is running as hard as it has since snowmelt season but that's not saying much. Needless to say, it does appear that 2-3" falling in the basin (entire east and south sides of Mansfield/Notch/Spruce Peak/Sterling Ridge drain past town) has resulted in notable rises but nothing near flooding levels.

The storm total at the house through 6:00 A.M. this morning was 2.76”, with the 2.11” from the past 24 hours being the big contributor. Looking at the CoCoRaHS precipitation maps from the 25th and 26th, you’ll see that the distribution of rainfall was fairly uniform, but based on the preliminary maps I’ve seen so far from this morning, it looks like the spine/western slopes will be standing out a bit more.

Oh wow! Over 2" just for the 24 hour period is impressive. I figured that was your storm total.

Yeah there's going to be a sharp gradient east of the Spine. The BTV climate summary map should be interesting as hopefully the color shading can visually bring out the differences.

Yeah going to be some big differences based on orographics...

0.77" in Stowe Village on east side, vs 2.11" at JSpin's along the Spine axis vs 1.71" on the western slope in what looks like Richmond.

As usual, J.Spins location in line with the geographic spine is producing the QPF maximum, with a sharp gradient to the east, and lesser gradient to the west. But he's in "the fall out zone" from the max orographic ascent.

Had 60/56 at my place yesterday, and reported 2.01" to cocorahs this morning for a storm total of 2.96" and June to date 8.96". This sneaks 2012 past 2006 (8.88") for 3rd highest June in 15 yr. Outside chance of getting another 0.8" to reach #2 (2009), but 1998's 12.81" is out of reach. Estimated precip map showed areas getting over 5" in the Richardson Lake area west of Rangeley village.

We prefer here over in the GOM or over NS, A low over my head has zero benefit in the winter for us here, Glad its not an event that happens often, Most of the time they will cut further west anyways but it usually will be the same result rain

We prefer here over in the GOM or over NS, A low over my head has zero benefit in the winter for us here, Glad its not an event that happens often, Most of the time they will cut further west anyways but it usually will be the same result rain

If I had to pick a spot, I would want it right over Vim Toot or Fort Kent. That would put a slightly more westerly component to the wind. Yesterday was NNW but more northerly than I like which is why we didn't do as well as west of the Spine. It's like the one direction where we get local downslope so close to the eastern slope...more westerly flow and the downslope is removed to the east a bit.

Of course the ski resort gets pummeled either way but locally in the village I'd want a more west flow to push things out east of the MTN a bit. It's the difference between 0.75" QPF and 1.5"-2" in this event.

with a sharp gradient to the east, and lesser gradient to the west.

I can remember some set-ups in the past like we have now and not doing very well here. We don't get the benefit of the channeling down the St. Lawrence & Champlain valleys here with this flow. It seems to get kind of broken up by the northern Whites and the highlands of the NEK. The CT River valley north of here is too narrow to funnel much and the high terrain on either side too close, particularly up near the very top of the watershed.

In the winter, I guess we'd pick up an inch or two in steady but very light snow and this time of year, a day of drizzle amounting to a couple tenths.

Terrain stuff shows up pretty well on the daily precip map:

post-2284-0-44664800-1340811068_thumb.jp

I can remember some set-ups in the past like we have now and not doing very well here. We don't get the benefit of the channeling down the St. Lawrence & Champlain valleys here with this flow. It seems to get kind of broken up by the northern Whites and the highlands of the NEK. The CT River valley north of here is too narrow to funnel much and the high terrain on either side too close, particularly up near the very top of the watershed.

In the winter, I guess we'd pick up an inch or two in steady but very light snow and this time of year, a day of drizzle amounting to a couple tenths.

Terrain stuff shows up pretty well on the daily precip map:

damn, for a second I thought that was a snowfall map :snowing:

What a difference a few miles makes...always amazes me how localized upslope can be. It's been pouring all day from Topnotch to the ski resort, but as one drives to the village center the rain gets lighter and lighter, until it's finally just like a drizzle in the center of town...and it looks to be drying up a bit on Main Street.

Then driving back towards the mountain the rain gets heavier until it's just pouring again with wipers on high as you get towards Harlow Hill.

The next place I'll live in this town is Notchbrook/Forks area at the base of Harlow Hill....those apartments are right in the crush zone.

Archived