Monty
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan used to post on here a bit. Decent little website

Lame looking waterspout.

Does NWS count them as tornadoes in their tallies?

if it comes ashore.. otherwise no

Heading to Maine (~15 mile northeast of Skowhegan) in a week and a half for vacation. Will be there July 7-14. Let's hope for some big NW flow severe events!!!!!!!!!!!

Where are you staying up this way? I hope it drys out by then, Some of these areas had some serious flooding over the last week or so

Where are you staying up this way? I hope it drys out by then, Some of these areas had some serious flooding over the last week or so

15 miles NE of Skowhegan would look to be on/near Great Moose Pond (Hartland and Harmony), while the major damage was well to the NNE - Brownville (not Brownfield as I erroneously posted yest) and up to Patten.

Storm total of 0.95" as of 7 AM, with most coming 11A-3P yest, including embedded TS. Much of the Carrabasset and Sandy River drainages look to have gotten dumped on this morning, still pouring there, but surprisingly small effect on flow rates so far. -RA and near 60 currently in AUG.

Edit: QPF estimates of 3-4" in the Rangeley Lakes area. Those lakes feed the Andro, but just to the east there's lots of 2-3" colors in the 'Basset/Sandy drainages, and continued 30-45 dbz precip.

Great Moose Lake in Hartland. I didn't realize they had a bad flood. It's awesome up there.

That's a nice area over towards Hartland and Harmony, The flooding was further NE of that area, Although they are seeing some +RN today, The lake will be at full pond thats's for sure, You should be fine, It has been very wet this month here if you had not been following along up here, Some of us are approaching 12" of rainfall for the month

That's a nice area over towards Hartland and Harmony, The flooding was further NE of that area, Although they are seeing some +RN today, The lake will be at full pond thats's for sure, You should be fine, It has been very wet this month here if you had not been following along up here, Some of us are approaching 12" of rainfall for the month

Wow... 12". That's wild. Hopefully we dry out for the week I'm there... still have another 10 days before I head up there.

Lake should be really high.

Great Moose Lake in Hartland. I didn't realize they had a bad flood. It's awesome up there.

Great spot, used to spend a week or so every summer at a former hunting lodge on the south shore there.

Didn't realize at the time just how many big storms they get, and how few people there are to report them in that area.

if it comes ashore.. otherwise no

And of course, as many of you know, this was non-tornadic in nature (in other words, not a supercell that happened to form a tornado over water).

3cvr_12062523.gif

You can see that last evening, there was some sort of residual boundary from earlier convection lingering across east central NH and into western ME. Locally enhanced horizontal vorticity along this feature, coupled with most of the CAPE residing in the 0-3 km layer allowed an updraft to rapidly stretch this vorticity into the vertical and spin up a waterspout. The updraft did pulse up (larger number of 60 dBZ pixels) right around the time of the water spout, so this is likely the mechanism that caused it.

Wow... 12". That's wild. Hopefully we dry out for the week I'm there... still have another 10 days before I head up there.

Great spot, used to spend a week or so every summer at a former hunting lodge on the south shore there.

Didn't realize at the time just how many big storms they get, and how few people there are to report them in that area.

Maybe Ryan can give us some reports if there is any cell or internet service there, I know further NW it gets dicey, A couple years ago one winter when i was in Jackman snowmobiling, I had no cell service in town, We took off riding heading over towards Moosehead and was 20 miles out of town on a hill in the middle of a township when a buddy of mine stops and says if you want to use your cell now is the time, We all looked at him and laughed but we had service plus 4 bars............lol

PWM is close to setting there all time wettest June on record, I don't think they are very far off right now

PWM is close to setting there all time wettest June on record, I don't think they are very far off right now

Just checked, 8.53" not including today. That means the rain today will have pushed PWM past 2009 for the 5th wettest. They can move to 3rd wettest with a little under an inch today.

Nice. Yeah I found a place randomly online and rented it last year with 10 buddies. Doing it again this year. Was an absolute blast.

Ekster was telling me that they get pounded up there frequently... hopefully there's something good while I'm up there this year.

Just checked, 8.53" not including today. That means the rain today will have pushed PWM past 2009 for the 5th wettest. They can move to 3rd wettest with a little under an inch today.

How much more to surpass #1? Looks like over the next day or so there would still be an outside shot if some of these showers were to set up over that area

Nice. Yeah I found a place randomly online and rented it last year with 10 buddies. Doing it again this year. Was an absolute blast.

Ekster was telling me that they get pounded up there frequently... hopefully there's something good while I'm up there this year.

Absolutely, I think the storm really go to town when they come off the mountains and drop into the relatively flat areas of southern Somerset County. So from like, Kingfield down through the Pittsfield/Hartland area we can get some monster supercells.

To this day, it's the only time I've had a TOR drawn up and ready to go with my finger hovering over "send" because the storm was looking so intense. I think that storm went just north of the Great Moose Lake.

How much more to surpass #1? Looks like over the next day or so there would still be an outside shot if some of these showers were to set up over that area

10.86" is #1, so still a ways to go. However, with mostly convective rains in the forecast it wouldn't take much more than a slow moving storm to do the job.

10.86" is #1, so still a ways to go. However, with mostly convective rains in the forecast it wouldn't take much more than a slow moving storm to do the job.

Probably will be under 2" after today but still some work to do but could get wiped out fairly easily as you say in some of these heavier convective cells

Not that i ever wish not to play golf, But unless we get convective showers or we get a significant one where they will not allow carts out at the course it looks like we will be playing league tonight in the rain which i hate more then anything

Not that i ever wish not to play golf, But unless we get convective showers or we get a significant one where they will not allow carts out at the course it looks like we will be playing league tonight in the rain which i hate more then anything

Yeah, I hate that too. Tonight is our unofficial "league" so I could skip it but I hate to give up a pass out of the house so will probably go over and at the very least eat dinner. Thurday night are the official league night and always go over unless they send out a notice of cancellation.

Absolutely, I think the storm really go to town when they come off the mountains and drop into the relatively flat areas of southern Somerset County. So from like, Kingfield down through the Pittsfield/Hartland area we can get some monster supercells.

To this day, it's the only time I've had a TOR drawn up and ready to go with my finger hovering over "send" because the storm was looking so intense. I think that storm went just north of the Great Moose Lake.

You've never issued a TOR? We need to move you to SGF or OUN lol.

Yeah, I hate that too. Tonight is our unofficial "league" so I could skip it but I hate to give up a pass out of the house so will probably go over and at the very least eat dinner. Thurday night are the official league night and always go over unless they send out a notice of cancellation.

Even with rain gloves you just never know when you will let a club fly, Plus i hate wearing rain gear as i sweat like a pig, Better off with none, Not to mention the bag getting wet, Even using a drizzle stik, It keeps the clubs dry but not the bag plus i hate wearing a giligan rain hat besides but unless there is lightning or they do not let carts out we play unless its my week to sit as we have 5 man teams and 4 play each week.

That's right, no TORs for me. It was relatively quiet for tornadoes when I was at DVN, and I missed June 1st by a day on the shift rotation up here.

Feel free to toss some out for my area July 7-14 lol

Though if I'm in the middle of the lake on a jet ski you can hold off a bit.

Archived