Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

Hope this is the right thread.

Some numbers for today for select locations: Well below normal for the Highs.

July 20, 2012

BDR - Bridgeport, CT

Max: 72° (11° below normal)

Min: 63° (4° below normal)

BDL - Windsor Locks, CT

Max: 71° (14° below normal)

Min: 62° (1° below normal)

ALB - Albany, NY

Max: 73° (10° below normal)

Min: 64° (2° above normal)

NYC - Central Park

Max: 72° (12° below normal)

Min: 61° (8° below normal)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z gfs drills some cold 850 temps into NNE especially NE NNE in the 132 hr period. now usually the source for the cold air mass has been mild and models have generally been warming 850 temps (behind cool fronts) as the cool front gets within 72-96 hours but anyway a area of 0-2 c 850's in N half of maine have my attention.

cmc also has a area of 0-2 c 850's in far nw maine for the 132 hr period.

either way it looks like extreme northern vt/nh/and maine have a shot for a cooler than normal period wednite/thurs am.

euro op pivots the cooler anomalies a bit N of maine by a couple hundred miles of other guidance

Cool shots dendrite and I'll add my two cents that that is most certainly a coyote. Gray fox aren't much bigger than a large male house cat.

Speaking of which, we haven't had any coyotes around this summer but last summer they set up camp in the woods near us and I heard them regularly at night in the field next door howling away. It was about that time that our tomcat disappeared. Haven't seen the big lug since. The two female cats we have don't wander nearly as far as he did so they're still around.

Grays have semi-retractable claws and are known to actually climb trees:

tree-fox.jpg?w=500&h=759

Thanks guys...I was definitely leaning coyote since it looked a bit different from the usual grey foxes rummaging around the yard.

Only a min of 53.3 here, but I noticed CON fell to at least 49. I think MOS was 48-49 there so not bad. EC ens continue to keep any extreme heat out of NNE through the next 2 weeks. There will be some warm days in there, but the humidity levels shouldn't be too bad. We may have some rain chances comming up too...we have a cold fropa coming through Tues so hopefully we can fire up some widespread storms.

Hiked Blueberry Mtn and Speckled Mtn this morning. Beautiful morning - low 50s and low dews to go with it. Even the biting insects were laid back ... no repellant required. So, here's a few pics. First one is part way up on a ledge looking north more or less into the Whites. I'll learn my mountain names eventually.

post-254-0-93601300-1342887577_thumb.jpg

This next one is from Blueberry Mtn looking south toward the flatlands. Kezar Lake is in the mid-ground and Pleasant Mtn is further in the background to the right.

post-254-0-78722400-1342887616_thumb.jpg

Here at Speckled Mountain's summit, el. 2906'. Mount Washington can be seen, thouvh just the tippy top - it's the grayish peak in the middle.

post-254-0-46480500-1342887659_thumb.jpg

Only saw one other group and that was less than a mile from returning to the trailhead. 8.2 miles on the odometer today. Next week I think I'm doing the Baldface Loop. Hopefully the weather will be as nice

Hiked Ames Mtn and Speckled Mtn this morning. Beautiful morning - low 50s and low dews to go with it. Even the biting insects were laid back ... no repellant required. So, here's a few pics. First one is part way up on a ledge looking north more or less into the Whites. I'll learn my mountain names eventually.

post-254-0-93601300-1342887577_thumb.jpg

This next one is from Ames Mtn looking south toward the flatlands. Kezar Lake is in the mid-ground and Pleasant Mtn is further in the background to the right.

post-254-0-78722400-1342887616_thumb.jpg

Here at Speckled Mountain's summit, el. 2906'. Mount Washington can be seen, thouvh just the tippy top - it's the grayish peak in the middle.

post-254-0-46480500-1342887659_thumb.jpg

Only saw one other group and that was less than a mile from returning to the trailhead. 8.2 miles on the odometer today. Next week I think I'm doing the Baldface Loop. Hopefully the weather will be as nice

Nice pics Eric, beautiful. Out enjoying is what its all about, sweet

Thanks guys...I was definitely leaning coyote since it looked a bit different from the usual grey foxes rummaging around the yard.

Only a min of 53.3 here, but I noticed CON fell to at least 49. I think MOS was 48-49 there so not bad. EC ens continue to keep any extreme heat out of NNE through the next 2 weeks. There will be some warm days in there, but the humidity levels shouldn't be too bad. We may have some rain chances comming up too...we have a cold fropa coming through Tues so hopefully we can fire up some widespread storms.

46F here last night and a -9F on the min.

This is our 4th straight below normal day and 8th this month. We are right near normal for the month. It's been such a long time since a pattern where it's the low temp keeping departures down.

How's it shaping up in NH? I gotta imagine spots like Berlin are right at average.

coyote, grey foxes are half that size. man between bears and Coyotes you guys are running Animal Kingdom up there.

don't forget the mountain lions that get spotted around here. Saw a coyote on our land the other day, red fox, bear destroyed our hive...haven't seen a moose. The coyotes are having a great year and apparently there's a few too many.

don't forget the mountain lions that get spotted around here. Saw a coyote on our land the other day, red fox, bear destroyed our hive...haven't seen a moose. The coyotes are having a great year and apparently there's a few too many.

Closest I've seen a moose to here was around the mile 63 marker on 93N. I think that is Sanbornton.

Touched 84° here, and the dews made it to the mid-50s. Perfectly fine summer wx.

Amen... we hit 83F for a high and with low humidity, I'd lock in low/mid 80s all summer long, especially if the nights continue to cool off like they have most of the summer.

So today makes 83/46 for the high low and another wide diurnal trend. -10F on the low and +3F on the high so solidly below normal today in the mean (Normal is listed as 80/56 today for MVL). Textbook diurnal temperature and humidity trends on the graphs for MVL.

We've fought back now to close to normal as MVL was +0.7F on the month yesterday, so with today's negative overall we are probably down another few tenths. Montpelier was down to only +0.2F yesterday, so with today's temps they may even be a tick in the negative. St Johnsbury is solidly below normal at -1.1F as of yesterday and falling.

We've fought back now to close to normal as MVL was +0.7F on the month yesterday, so with today's negative overall we are probably down another few tenths. Montpelier was down to only +0.2F yesterday, so with today's temps they may even be a tick in the negative. St Johnsbury is solidly below normal at -1.1F as of yesterday and falling.

Month avg is also +0.7 at my place, after 3 lovely days, 72/46, 75/43, 78/45. Low in mid 50s this morning. Hope we get some significant rain tomorrow/Tues, but I'm not too optimistic.

Definitely coyote, IMO - legs far too long for any fox, and same color as the rest of the body. Might be a pup of the year, but I don't think so - they're usually still in their softer-looking puppy fur this time of year. Haven't heard our local family in a week or so. We listen all summer into fall as the pups' voices go from soprano thru alto (current range) to tenor. I've seen a few deer in the area this summer, after seeing none at all the previous two summers; maybe some recovery from the winters of 07-08 and 08-09.

I was thinking of investing in a nighttime wildlife cam...checked them out online a couple weeks ago, but I have no idea what to get.

Definitely a coyote in those pics. I use a wildgame innovations game camera. I've tried several different brands but in this price range these have been the best. Wilgame . They work very well at night as well. I've gotten some great pics over the years. The most surprising was a bear and 2 cubs 200 yards behind the house. I never had a clue that they were there so consistently until I put the camera out. I now have many pictures of bear back there but I've never seen one.

The first 2 pics were taken with my first game camera which didn't perform very well after the first year. The last one is an example of the wildgame camera in action at night.

bear.jpg

cubs.jpg

deer.jpg

Definitely a coyote in those pics. I use a wildgame innovations game camera. I've tried several different brands but in this price range these have been the best. Wilgame . They work very well at night as well. I've gotten some great pics over the years. The most surprising was a bear and 2 cubs 200 yards behind the house. I never had a clue that they were there so consistently until I put the camera out. I now have many pictures of bear back there but I've never seen one.

The first 2 pics were taken with my first game camera which didn't perform very well after the first year. The last one is an example of the wildgame camera in action at night.

bear.jpg

cubs.jpg

deer.jpg

Nice wild game pic, temp too, sweet.

Had this critter in the backyard this afternoon...the gf got pics with her iPhone. I've had grey foxes around before, but this appeared larger. Can anyone here definitively tell me if this is just a large grey fox or a coyote?

post-3-0-71434500-1342820012_thumb.png

post-3-0-18815100-1342820016_thumb.png

post-3-0-71870100-1342820022_thumb.png

post-3-0-43436300-1342820006_thumb.png

That's a coyote, And if i would have seen it in my yard he would be laying on his side, They are a nuisance to the deer herd and they are hunted here for there pelts to thin them out, Whenever there is a chance we kill them.

88/58 for the max/min at MVL today... really torched at the ASOS for some reason as 1V4 at a similar elevation only maxed at 85F and MPV about 400ft higher maxed at 84F.

Either way, today was a positive departure... +5F on the day at Morrisville-Stowe.

Yeah, it was sneaky hot on the valley floors yesterday. Out here, we topped out at 81F but I went down to my folk's place in Fairlee yesterday afternoon and saw 88F driving down RT. 5 between Fairlee and Bradford. I was surprised how warm it was down there. Gusty downsloping SW winds was the difference.

Pretty dry & boney again out there. Hoping today produces. :raining:

Warm night... you can always tell its the night before a frontal passage when no one drops below the 60s.

These are just the lowest hourlies recorded... BTV the usual valley torch spot with funneling south winds all night keeping them real warm mostly in the mid 70s all night.

MVL...62F

1V4...64F

MPV...67F

BTV...73F

Had upper 50s overnight after yesterday's slightly humid 82/54. GYX morning forecast had most rain for the overnight, which is often a fail for convection here. I'm guessing 0.25" or a bit less for MBY, but would love to bust low. Dews low-mid 60s and climbing, so maybe something good will happen.

Oh.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN BELKNAP COUNTY IN CENTRAL NEW HAMPSHIRE...

WESTERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

SOUTHERN GRAFTON COUNTY IN NORTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE...

* UNTIL 1230 AM EDT...

* AT 1141 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS

OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PLYMOUTH...AND MOVING EAST

AT 35 MPH.

* SOME LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

PLYMOUTH...ASHLAND...HOLDERNESS...MEREDITH...SANDWICH...

MOULTONBOROUGH AND TAMWORTH.

Unfortunately, my guess (0.25" or less) from yesterday afternoon appears to be verifying, as the two MCS's gave my gauge 0.23". Radar at 10P last evening looked very promising, as did the flickers on the horizon, but both precip and lightning faded away by the time they got to eastern Franklin County. The 2nd MCS produced most of the above modest rainfall between 3-4A. Air felt a bit drier at my place this morning. 06z GFS gives AUG about 0.4" today, but RUM only 0.02", probably the drier air filtering in. I'm guessing my place will have precip more like RUM than AUG.

The Thurs-Fri event is progged for 1"+ for both those stations, but GYX morning AFD continues yesterday's south-is-best-for-rain trend, so I won't get too optimistic.

Archived