happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upper 40s this morning at my place, expect mid (maybe even low) 40s overnight, probably into the 40s again tomorrow night. Just right! (Only complaint is that I wish it had been delivered on the heels of 1"+ rain.)

What's interesting is I think this lack of moisture this summer has allowed us much lower mins than we should have under these conditions. It seems every radiational cooling night we go below the forecast. We've had a lot of stretches of 40s and no fog. I've seen very little fog so far this summer and this spot is quite prone to it. I feel like last summer when it was such a wet year, just about every morning we had dense fog here in the valley.

The lack of fog may be allowing us to get a lot lower at night... especially on the nights when we should be like 53-55F with dense fog are ending up like 48-52F with nothing.

I knew we were approaching the climatological peak in temperatures around here, so I did a Google search to see if I could find the dates, and it was nice to see that it was an Americanwx.com thread that was right near the top of the list and had just what I was looking for. Anyway, at least for spots in this area such as Burlington, Montpelier, Morrisville, and St. Johnsbury, we’ve already sailed right past the dates without even noticing. It’s hard to worry much about the temperatures with the weather we’ve currently got (and this summer really hasn’t had much in terms of excessive hazy, hot, and humid conditions), but at least the climatological trend is toward cooling in terms of whatever heat might come in the future.

http://www.americanw...cal-peak-dates/

Woooo ... don't tell that to the folks in Equatorial Connecticut. Nothin' but HHH down there.

75/45 ... sweetness

Yeah that really has been the feeling in these parts regarding this summer...perfect weather with a few warm to hot days mixed in with these 3-4 day stretches of dry, cool air (70s/40s type stuff).

I think it's also because last summer was very humid all the time with lots of hot spells. Didn't really get these 3-4 days per week with lows in the 40s and highs in the 75-82F range.

Tonight at my moonlight job at a hotel, everyone checking in from MA/CT/NY/NJ is throwing on light jackets and sweatshirts as soon as they step out of the car...at 930pm it's already 58F outside.

39? Damn that's chilly and got us beat by a long shot. 47 for a low this morning after a steamy 71 for a high yesterday.

Still could use some more rain here but I'll gladly take what we've got now for a few days. Chances looking better for late weekend/early next week for some more water.

Thought that was a lake a first borderwx (Memph) but closer inspection told me valley fog. ;)

39? Damn that's chilly and got us beat by a long shot. 47 for a low this morning after a steamy 71 for a high yesterday.

Still could use some more rain here but I'll gladly take what we've got now for a few days. Chances looking better for late weekend/early next week for some more water.

Thought that was a lake a first borderwx (Memph) but closer inspection told me valley fog. ;)

thermo read just before the sun made it over the hill, could be off a bit too, either way nice to see the needle under the 40 mark:)

speaking of lakes. I mentioned long pond to you last year for a paddle, rode by there last weekend, a little fodder for your fire Allenson, nice hike on Haystack, that nub on the left followed by a dip or paddle, with foliage its like moving through a quilt.

IMG_3017.jpg

have great weekend all!

thermo read just before the sun made it over the hill, could be off a bit too, either way nice to see the needle under the 40 mark:)

speaking of lakes. I mentioned long pond to you last year for a paddle, rode by there last weekend, a little fodder for your fire Allenson, nice hike on Haystack, that nub on the left followed by a dip or paddle, with foliage its like moving through a quilt.

Oh, I don't doubt it--there were some upper 30s in the Daks and the NEK from what I saw. Yesterday morning too.

Long Pond looks pretty darn nice to me. I hate to admit it but I haven't been out in the canoe yet this summer..though I've taken quite a few spins in my family's motorboat.

I will say though that canoe is being currently put to use as a rainfall catcher (garden water) under the overhang of my shop's roof, lol.

I knew we were approaching the climatological peak in temperatures around here, so I did a Google search to see if I could find the dates, and it was nice to see that it was an Americanwx.com thread that was right near the top of the list and had just what I was looking for. Anyway, at least for spots in this area such as Burlington, Montpelier, Morrisville, and St. Johnsbury, we’ve already sailed right past the dates without even noticing. It’s hard to worry much about the temperatures with the weather we’ve currently got (and this summer really hasn’t had much in terms of excessive hazy, hot, and humid conditions), but at least the climatological trend is toward cooling in terms of whatever heat might come in the future.

http://www.americanw...cal-peak-dates/

Farmington's peak is probably a couple days away. Their 1981-2010 avg stays nearly flat at 66F (77/55) for over two weeks, from about 7/20 thru the first few days of August.

Had 72/46 yesterday and mid 40s again this morning. GYX was pleasantly bullish on Mon-Tues rain, but it's three days out and lots of other rainy forecasts have missed my area this month. Wx has certainly averaged out as wonderful this summer, but rain has been feast or famine.

Oh, I don't doubt it--there were some upper 30s in the Daks and the NEK from what I saw. Yesterday morning too.

Long Pond looks pretty darn nice to me. I hate to admit it but I haven't been out in the canoe yet this summer..though I've taken quite a few spins in my family's motorboat.

I will say though that canoe is being currently put to use as a rainfall catcher (garden water) under the overhang of my shop's roof, lol.

44F at MVL last night, but I'm showing 46F on my home station... seems to fit in with the map as I'm a few miles SW of MVL.

Either way, another awesome night for sleeping weather in July.

Had this critter in the backyard this afternoon...the gf got pics with her iPhone. I've had grey foxes around before, but this appeared larger. Can anyone here definitively tell me if this is just a large grey fox or a coyote?

post-3-0-71434500-1342820012_thumb.png

post-3-0-18815100-1342820016_thumb.png

post-3-0-71870100-1342820022_thumb.png

post-3-0-43436300-1342820006_thumb.png

coyote, grey foxes are half that size. man between bears and Coyotes you guys are running Animal Kingdom up there.

coyote, grey foxes are half that size. man between bears and Coyotes you guys are running Animal Kingdom up there.

It has been insane lately. We've had everything except a moose and bobcat lately. Grey foxes, fisher cat, coyote, bear, deer, wild turkeys, saw a hawk dismantling a blue jay...I'm probably forgetting something. I've had a pileated woodpecker coming around too.

It has been insane lately. We've had everything except a moose and bobcat lately. Grey foxes, fisher cat, coyote, bear, deer, wild turkeys, saw a hawk dismantling a blue jay...I'm probably forgetting something. I've had a pileated woodpecker coming around too.

thats awesome, get a wildlife camera setup, so cool. Watch that cat. Fisher took one of ours 2 years ago.

thats awesome, get a wildlife camera setup, so cool. Watch that cat. Fisher took one of ours 2 years ago.

I was thinking of investing in a nighttime wildlife cam...checked them out online a couple weeks ago, but I have no idea what to get.

Anyways...max/min was 75.8/53.8 today. It was a BKN to OVC morning, but a SCT afternoon. Beautiful day.

Had this critter in the backyard this afternoon...the gf got pics with her iPhone. I've had grey foxes around before, but this appeared larger. Can anyone here definitively tell me if this is just a large grey fox or a coyote?

post-3-0-71434500-1342820012_thumb.png

post-3-0-18815100-1342820016_thumb.png

post-3-0-71870100-1342820022_thumb.png

post-3-0-43436300-1342820006_thumb.png

That's a tough one but I'd say young coyote. Looks a lot like the face of a fox but seems a bit large for fox. However, I've seen coyotes on Mansfield a few times (ran into two last summer hiking, also have seen them in April/May while skiing after the resort closed) and all the ones I've seen were larger than that. More like a mangy German shepperd...and usually skinny.

The more I think about it, that might be a fox. I dunno haha. I just remember the coyotes I've seen to look more unkept than that...longer hair, skinny but with a big frame, face of a wolf.

I was thinking of investing in a nighttime wildlife cam...checked them out online a couple weeks ago, but I have no idea what to get.

Anyways...max/min was 75.8/53.8 today. It was a BKN to OVC morning, but a SCT afternoon. Beautiful day.

Cabelas, get a medium price nighttime one.

That is 100% a coyote. I have seen them a bunch of times here....they come out of the woods on a semi-regular basis.

Cool and interesting...the ones I've ran into seem bigger but maybe it's a different type up here in the mountains. I swear the ones I've seen on Mansfield are like skinny German Shepperds. Long mangy hair with burrs and crap...like you would expect a wild dog to look like. Also had a little different tail or at least my memory thinks so haha.

Last summer hiking the two I ran into (like 20ft away) were tall enough to be above the brush. Luckily I spooked them and they took off up the trail...they were large enough canines that it would not be pleasant to have them after you.

Archived