• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

The prolific nighttime lightning storms in the summer of 1999 is what prompted me to buy my current camera. I wanted to try lightning photography. Too bad that camera was a curse, because I had to wait until tonight to actually try it.

Phenomenal lightning show tonight... just constant CG strikes every 10 seconds, many with multiple bolts. Got about 30 good pics:

Great photos - what camera are you using?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, finally back in action this morning after loosing power last evening. Not sure when it came back on--sometime in the middle of the night.

Eek--awesome lighting shots.

Saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 strikes driving home last night through the first round that swept through. Amazing stuff. Also saw a fair few trees & branches down and even some dangling powerlines going through Thetford & Post Mills, VT. When it first started raining as I was leaving Hanover, NH last evening, the truck thermometer was reading 87F. Not sure if I've ever seen rain at that high of a temp. By the time I crossed the river into VT and into the teeth of the storm, it was down to 72.

Luckily no damage out here at the house other than a washed out driveway. Nothing I haven't seen and nothing I can't fix. :weight_lift:

Had several more rounds come through later in the night--incredible lightning & thunder show but no wind with those.

Final rainfall tally: 1.22". Sure seemed like more than that but the bucket don't lie.

Some of the best lightning captures I've seen!

No lightning at my place, not even a distant rumble or any heat lightning. In fact, the whole day underwhelmed. The morning's half inch (by doppler estimate, and radar colors guesswork) turned out to be 0.18". The late afternoon action developed, or died, in a way that made me think that the morning MCS poisoned the well for anything interesting later on, in those areas with the early rains. Yesterday aft was one of the rare times I've noted when 100% POP (GYX aft. update) turned out totally dry, at least for my general area. Not even a near miss.

Total of 0.43" over the past 3 days helps, though that makes my July total only 0.58". However, looks like next chance isn't until Monday, and by then the garden will be as dry or drier than it was last Sat. At least temps/dews will be at my ideal summertime levels for the next few days. Might see another 2-3 mornings in the 40s.

The prolific nighttime lightning storms in the summer of 1999 is what prompted me to buy my current camera. I wanted to try lightning photography. Too bad that camera was a curse, because I had to wait until tonight to actually try it.

Phenomenal lightning show tonight... just constant CG strikes every 10 seconds, many with multiple bolts. Got about 30 good pics:

post-18-0-48935500-1342588992_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-87911500-1342588999_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-50649900-1342589009_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-63614600-1342589014_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-76697100-1342589016_thumb.jpg

Nice capture eek, Those pics are amazing!

Well, finally back in action this morning after loosing power last evening. Not sure when it came back on--sometime in the middle of the night.

Eek--awesome lighting shots.

Saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 strikes driving home last night through the first round that swept through. Amazing stuff. Also saw a fair few trees & branches down and even some dangling powerlines going through Thetford & Post MIlls, VT. When it first started raining as I was leaving Hanover, NH last evening, the truck thermometer was reading 87F. Not sure if I've ever seen rain at that high of a temp. By the time I crossed the river into VT and into the teeth of the storm, it was down to 72.

Luckily no damage out here at the house other than a washed out driveway. Nothing I haven't seen and nothing I can't fix. :weight_lift:

Had several more rounds come through later in the night--incredible lightning & thunder show but no wind with those.

Final rainfall tally: 1.22". Sure seemed like more than that but the bucket don't lie.

Congrats on getting some well need rainfall, We did not do so well here as we were missed to the NE early on and missed to the the SW late yesterday

Thanks guys. I wish the quality of the last photo was better since I would have loved to get better detail on those really faint spiderwebs coming off the main strikes. Pretty scary looking. It's amazing how your eye only catches the brightest bolt, then you see the photos and realize just how much you missed.

Great photos - what camera are you using?

It's a dusty old Nikon 8700.

Eek those lightning shots are sick! How did you capture those?

I was using mostly 8-10 second exposures at F2.8. Just kept holding the shutter open and ended up with a strike in nearly every photo.

Thanks Dryslot, t'was much needed. Luckily it didn't seem to run off too much and instead, actually soaked in.

Great lightning photos eek. Ended up with 1.25" total for yesterday and looking at CoCoRaHS reports form NH, a lot higher than most people.

Pretty consistent with other obs from the one cell that came through 5-6ish. I wasn't home for it, unfortunately...

Anwyay, Chelsea, VT reported 1.25", I had 1.22", your 1.25" and Wentworth, NH also at 1.25". Nice little line right there.

Thanks Dryslot, t'was much needed. Luckily it didn't seem to run off too much and instead, actually soaked in.

Pretty consistent with other obs from the one cell that came through 5-6ish. I wasn't home for it, unfortunately...

Anwyay, Chelsea, VT reported 1.25", I had 1.22", your 1.25" and Wentworth, NH also at 1.25". Nice little line right there.

I'm rather jealous of your precipitation. First round of storms gave me .05" and the second gave .03" :lol:

Next chance of rain looks to be Sunday. :(

I'm rather jealous of your precipitation. First round of storms gave me .05" and the second gave .03" :lol:

Next chance of rain looks to be Sunday. :(

Yeah I can relate. We've had several of those this summer too where 10 miles down the road got drenched. Drives me nuts.

Still only at 1.99" for July so far but finally up over 20" ytd.

You'll get yours. :raining:

At least we're not out in the plains!

ap_us_indiana_drought_16Jul12-975x683.jpg

Yeah I can relate. We've had several of those this summer too where 10 miles down the road got drenched. Drives me nuts.

Still only at 1.99" for July so far but finally up over 20" ytd.

You'll get yours. :raining:

At least we're not out in the plains!

ap_us_indiana_drought_16Jul12-975x683.jpg

That's how the term dry dock came into play............. :lol:

The stuff in the plains is crazy...there's a big USA Today article about the drought today and some of the stats are impressive...

Arkansas River in Kansas is flowing at less than 1 cubic foot per second, while the average in July is 394 ft per second. I mean you can flush your toilet and get more than 1 cubic foot per second, haha.

Also some other river in Kansas recorded a water temp of 103F at a USGS station...that's incredible to me. A moving water way with over 100F temp is not going to cool you down haha.

That's how the term dry dock came into play............. :lol:

Man, I guess. Can anyone imagine something like that here? Yikes.

As 'hot' and 'dry' as this summer has been here, I'm feeling pretty lucky being where we are.

And here I was squawking about the brook being low. Speaking of which, I didn't go down and look at it this morning but it was definitely quite a bit louder that is has been lately. Nice to hear.

Man, I guess. Can anyone imagine something like that here? Yikes.

As 'hot' and 'dry' as this summer has been here, I'm feeling pretty lucky being where we are.

And here I was squawking about the brook being low. Speaking of which, I didn't go down and look at it this morning but it was definitely quite a bit louder that is has been lately. Nice to hear.

Yeah, That pick is unreal, Could not fathom anything like that here, If we went that dry the rest of the country would be deserts.....

Yeah, That pick is unreal, Could not fathom anything like that here, If we went that dry the rest of the country would be deserts.....

Brought back memories of 1965-66, when NY/NJ reservoirs were under 20% capacity and the city was counting down the days of water supply remaining.

I didn't realize the size of the hail that BTV and surrounding spots saw yesterday... man they've been a magnet for SVR weather lately. First they get hit by 60-70mph winds recorded by the ASOS, and now they get 1.0-1.5" hail.

0922 PM HAIL WINOOSKI 44.49N 73.19W

07/17/2012 E1.50 INCH CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

PING PONG BALL SIZED HAIL

0915 PM HAIL 1 E ESSEX JUNCTION 44.49N 73.09W

0912 PM HAIL BURLINGTON 44.48N 73.21W

07/17/2012 E1.25 INCH CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

HALF-DOLLAR SIZED HAIL

0913 PM HAIL 2 NW BURLINGTON 44.49N 73.24W

0915 PM HAIL 2 NNW WINOOSKI 44.51N 73.20W

07/17/2012 E1.00 INCH CHITTENDEN VT PUBLIC

QUARTER SIZED HAIL

Now down to 61F and continuing to fall here on the Mountain Road in Stowe. Winds have gone calm but I didn't think we'd be this low so quickly... although we should level off as everyone else catches up to us. Here on the eastern side of the Spine the sun goes down sooner than on the western side, so as soon as the sun goes behind the ridge and that shadow stretches over the east slope here, we drop quickly... might explain why it seems to be cooler locally at the moment.

Up the road at the ski resort, they've been stuck at 65F for a while with a pesky wind. Should be another night where we are 5-10F lower than them sheltered along the river drainage.

I found 48.4F on my station for the min... so 48-49F here which seems to be about the same as MVL, MPV, and Allenson/Mreaves.

Here are the overnight lows: Aside from the normal icebox spots in the 'Dacks and far NE VT, seems as though most saw 48-52F last night. Tonight should be more solidly in the 40s I would think.

Archived