dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 60

STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 15 MILES SOUTHWEST

OF WATERTOWN NEW YORK TO 40 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF BERLIN NEW

HAMPSHIRE.

That's 10-15 miles west of MBY, someplace in the Wilton/Dixfield area, but it could be exciting in other places as well. I'm perfectly happy to have any tornados stay elsewhere.

AUG picked up 0.24" between 8A and 2P. I'd have guessed a bit more given the periods of mod/heavy rain 12:30-1:30.

Riding down from the Cliff House on Mansfield on the 4-wheeler a few minutes ago was quite wild with lightning strikes that almost seemed below me (off to the south). Nothing was too close to really get me freaked but its an interesting feeling being the last one up top, closing up in a hurry as it goes pitch black outside. Thunder sounds different at 3,700ft... like its coming from below you or something.

We ended up with .63" wind gusts probably close to 50. Lots of branches and small tree down on property. No power at the moment. Oddly not much lightning when it came through.

I just realized I didn't check gauge from this mornings shower. So .63" for total today.

Brian looked like he got it good. Monster cell south of Winni.

Surprisingly nothing too bad here. There wasn't much lightning and most of it held of until near the end. Max gust was 26mph with the gust front...0.34" rain so far and just down to some lgt/mod rain now.

The Sanbornton RWIS north of me gusted to 40mph. Canterbury just to my south only 15mph so far.

Prob'ly hurriedly tying up some prized tropical foliage.

You know me so well. It takes a big ugly stake to hold up a 6-8' plant, so I can't leave them in all the time. Takes about an hour to get everything secured.

It was a good storm but the lack of rain was weird. A whole 0.05-- figured you'd have to live in Arizona to take a direct hit and end up with that kind of rainfall.

Lightning was great. Abundant clear crisp strikes and one insanely close strike which I might have got on video.

Wind was pretty impressive. As Brian noted, got a nice 41mph peak gust. Wind came from the perfect direction to get measured. It also lasted quite a while and wasn't just a 30 second gust front.

I broke into a cold sweat and had flashbacks when I read the local storm report later and saw:

07/17/2012 0655 PM

Laconia, Belknap County.

Hail e0.75 inch, reported by public.

Must have been downtown. :yikes:

The prolific nighttime lightning storms in the summer of 1999 is what prompted me to buy my current camera. I wanted to try lightning photography. Too bad that camera was a curse, because I had to wait until tonight to actually try it.

Phenomenal lightning show tonight... just constant CG strikes every 10 seconds, many with multiple bolts. Got about 30 good pics:

post-18-0-48935500-1342588992_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-87911500-1342588999_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-50649900-1342589009_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-63614600-1342589014_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-76697100-1342589016_thumb.jpg

Archived