happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to hike mt. Mansfield this am. Looks like slight temp inversion in stowe. Agreed on long trail since we have some lady's w us. Beauty day

Take a short ride down Ridge Road from VTC and go swimming at the Floating Bridge in Brookfield. Should be good weather for it. I grew up in that area and rode by the campus eveyday on the bus to school in Randolph.

Going to hike mt. Mansfield this am. Looks like slight temp inversion in stowe. Agreed on long trail since we have some lady's w us. Beauty day

Sweet! I was working up top the past few days and it was stellar... haven't had two back-to-back days with great views of Mount Washington in a long time. The haze was non-existent but I think that's what dews in the 30s/40s does. Dews rising back into the 50s now so we'll probably see some haze start to infiltrate the valleys.

I can see the summit ridge from my living room right now and man, Cpick you got a great day to be up there! Enjoy man.

Thanks pfreak. Any clue on the ascent from the long trail I.e challenging vertically in beginning? We have a group of 7. With varying levels of fitness. We are starting near the gondola. P.s I also lost ur contact info. If you get a chance could u text your number to me at 561 929 3273 thx!.

After a very wet June, Hate to say it but we need some rain.......

It's amazing how quickly the water can vanish this time of year. We're quite dry around here as we didn't see nearly the rain in June you folks in ME saw. Went to our brook last evening for a dip and the water is as low as I've seen it since we've lived here (7 years now). Bank to bank, the brook is 20-30' wide, depending on where one looks/crosses and right now, only about a quarter of the streambed has water in it. It's still pretty damn cold though--the cool nights we've had for a good chunk of the summer seem to have kept the water temp low.

Anyway, had a high of 83 here yesterday and back into the mid 50s this morning. It was much hotter on the valley floor where I spent my day and will again today. :axe:

This morning's 53-54 ended our streak of 40s at 4, yesterday barely qualifying at 84/49. Maybe by next Friday we can start a new streak. Mid-size and larger rivers here are close to median flow levels, thanks to June but no thanks to the past 2 weeks (0.15" IMBY.) Surface layers are quite dry, bad for gardens without good irrigation, good for cutting timber.

It's amazing how quickly the water can vanish this time of year. We're quite dry around here as we didn't see nearly the rain in June you folks in ME saw. Went to our brook last evening for a dip and the water is as low as I've seen it since we've lived here (7 years now). Bank to bank, the brook is 20-30' wide, depending on where one looks/crosses and right now, only about a quarter of the streambed has water in it. It's still pretty damn cold though--the cool nights we've had for a good chunk of the summer seem to have kept the water temp low.

Anyway, had a high of 83 here yesterday and back into the mid 50s this morning. It was much hotter on the valley floor where I spent my day and will again today. :axe:

A lot of the rain we received ran off faster then is could really soak in, So the top 3-4" of soil is like a powder puff, Very noticeable at the golf course, We have no fairway irrigation so when you take a divot its is dry

88/60 today with dews mostly in the low 60s. May have a shot at 90 imby tomorrow.

I'm surprised your dews are in the 60s... its like bone dry out there right now with dews in the upper 40s here.

Low of 51F this morning... high of 91F today. Tonight probably back down into the 50-55F range with these dews.

<30% RH all afternoon.

I'm surprised your dews are in the 60s... its like bone dry out there right now with dews in the upper 40s here.

Well the usual home station disclaimer applies. Around the area reported Td mins after sunrise are:

BML 46F

1P1 50F

LEB 54F

LCI 55F

CON 59F

MHT 63F

So there is definitely a N-S gradient there. MHT actually had a brief storm this afternoon and the dew has jumped to 71F there in response.

Well the usual home station disclaimer applies. Around the area reported Td mins after sunrise are:

BML 46F

1P1 50F

LEB 54F

LCI 55F

CON 59F

MHT 63F

So there is definitely a N-S gradient there. MHT actually had a brief storm this afternoon and the dew has jumped to 71F there in response.

Yeah definitely a N-S gradient with dews... I just didn't realize there was that much of a gradient. The BML dew makes sense as I've found we seem to have a similar climate to them being in a mountain valley with 3-4000ft terrain around. MVL is about 400ft lower than BML in elevation I think, but its still the sort of place that'll have a wide diurnal range and during the day is prone to heat up and dry out due to local terrain. I think there's probably some weak downsloping that allows the air to dry out, but then when the sun goes down things go calm and drop like a rock.

Here's BTV's Mesoscale map for 5pm dews. Adirondack mountain valleys stand out, too.

A lot of the rain we received ran off faster then is could really soak in,

Hate that. Looks good in the rainfall column but not particularly beneficial.

Chances for some showers looking better for tomorrow. Fingers, toes & long-hairs crossed, dudes!

As for warm lake temps--took a dip in the familial lake last evening. Felt great after a long hot day. The top 2-3' are quite warm--probably in the neighborhood of 70F. Dove down deep a few times and found much cooler water down there though. All the fish are down there too hanging out in the cool inky shadows....

Hate that. Looks good in the rainfall column but not particularly beneficial.

Chances for some showers looking better for tomorrow. Fingers, toes & long-hairs crossed, dudes!

As for warm lake temps--took a dip in the familial lake last evening. Felt great after a long hot day. The top 2-3' are quite warm--probably in the neighborhood of 70F. Dove down deep a few times and found much cooler water down there though. All the fish are down there too hanging out in the cool inky shadows....

I just had that same discussion with the owner of the course yesterday about the rainfall in june just basically running off instead of a nice extended soaker, Hopefully we all luck out and get in on some scattered showers over the next few days..

I don't know. Pretty fun time of year. Blew of some painting till this evening, spent the day here, best summer in a while it seems. Ditto up here with regard to dry, brooks are looking pretty sad.

Island Pond across the lake, Bluff Mt. and the ridge line heading to Norton.

IMG_3005.jpg

Edit to add: thanks by the way PF, someday maybe have a camera that does this area some justice:)

30 days till hiking season. Give me a shout if your looking for cold beer on a summit up here in the NEK.

Looks nice Borderwx--lakeside is where it's at during a summer like this.

Got up to 85 again yesterday making two straight. Maybe three 85s makes a heat wave out here in the hills? :whistle:

Pretty good t-storm popped up here in OC yesterday afternoon but as things have been going all summer here, it missed us to the south. Had real nice views of the thunderhead though...

Getting sick of this weather. Time for a change, time for some rain. :weenie:

Looks nice Borderwx--lakeside is where it's at during a summer like this.

Got up to 85 again yesterday making two straight. Maybe three 85s makes a heat wave out here in the hills? :whistle:

Pretty good t-storm popped up here in OC yesterday afternoon but as things have been going all summer here, it missed us to the south. Had real nice views of the thunderhead though...

Getting sick of this weather. Time for a change, time for some rain. :weenie:

HHH here through Tuesday. May not reach heat wave status - temps progged to be a couple degrees either side of the magic 90° threshhold - but the dews will be downright nasty. Going to Pine Point beach today for relief. Hopefully we get some rain in here tonight, the entire region could use it. End of week looks spectacular ... keeping the eyes on the prize.

I just had that same discussion with the owner of the course yesterday about the rainfall in june just basically running off instead of a nice extended soaker, Hopefully we all luck out and get in on some scattered showers over the next few days..

Was not the case a bit farther north, as our big June rains came fairly gradually. The 4" event 1st week kicked rivers up near flood stage, but rain never fell heavier than 2-3 tenths/hr at my place. The 4th week rain added 3" more and probably never reached 2 tenths/hr. That's why our rivers and streams are fairly close to median flow for the date. However, the top layers are dusty dry. After 9" in June, I've had 0.27" in July with temps 1.5-2F above my avg and abundant sun. Last 4 days highs 84/86/88/85, very warm for my foliage-shielded instrument, with that 88 tops for the year so far.

Some monster rains yest/last night in central Somerset Cty, Moosehead Lake and points west, with doppler estimates 3-5" and GYX noting that any action today for that area needs close watching.

Archived