• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

Has it been dry in the Whites dies anyone know? Rivers ate amazingly low and grass is burning. Rivers are lower than last year at this time.

Its been pretty dry across NNE... even here where last week's upslope rain storm produced up to 6" on Mansfield and 1.5-3" in town, we are already dry again with very low river levels.

So if the Whites didn't get much of that upslope rain (especially the central and southern Whites outside of NW flow), I can imagine they are pretty darn low for water levels.

After a low snowpack year, and dry spring, water's been running pretty low in these parts.

As far as grass burning... I haven't seen any of that yet, but I don't know many people that care one way or another about their lawns, haha.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a low snowpack year, and dry spring, water's been running pretty low in these parts.

As far as grass burning... I haven't seen any of that yet, but I don't know many people that care one way or another about their lawns, haha.

Yeah, not much snow/snowmelt and a little on the dry side overall. Streams & brooks are low here but I haven't seen any lawns burning out yet, lol.

Had 0.22" last night. Not much but at least it's something.

Maybe some fireworks from Mother Nature this afternoon. Let's do this.

Juicy out there today. Nothing firing here yet but it sure looks and feels like they will. Staring to see some coming into NW VT though...

I was out and about some this morning. SNE representing pretty hard here in NNE--oodles of MA & CT plates making for some interesting driving. :bike:

Wow is an understatement to the storm that rolled through Monroe NH area around 5. We were heading back to Peacham from the Hanover area and had stopped in Woodsville. I could see dark clouds to our north but couldn't see just how strong things looked. We headed up the Ct river on the NH side on RT 135. Soon after I could see to the NW and saw a lot of cloud to ground lightning but hings looked manageable. As we got closer it looked to my untrained eye as a nasty storm with a nice shelf cloud. I pulled over at one point as I couldn't tell if there was a funnel while safely driving. Deciding it wasn't and going with the idea that it is NNE it can't be that bad, I mistakenly drove on. As we got closer I could sheets of rain on the hills on the other side of the river and was very nervous about hail. Suddenly the storm hit us but was not too bad at first. I turned around and thought of outrunning it to the south but that seemed futile so we headed back north. Things quickly got worse, much worse. the wind was very strong and branches were flying. At its peak there was pea size hail and visibility was lower than I have ever encountered in a blizzard- maybe less that 25 feet. I didn't dare stop because trees and power lines lined the road and I was afraid we would get crushed. Eventually I noticed a town garage type building to the side of the road and pulled straight into someone carport. We stayed put for a few minutes until the worst had past. There were large branches down everywhere but from what I could tell it was all straight line winds- no rotation. We crossed the bridge in Barnet but the road to W,. Barnet was blocked by a downed tree. We eventually found a way over the hill and around Harveys Lake but came across other downed trees partially blocking the road and one side road near the lake which had multiple trees completely blocking the road. Eventually made it home safely. I am kicking myself for not taking pictures when I pulled over to look at the storm before we headed into it but not nearly as much as I am kicking myself for heading into it. Hands down my most scary weather moment.

^ Quite a tale, klw. I was watching that puppy pretty closely--both on radar and for real as our view to the ENE here is pretty good. It looked downright nasty and glad you made through. I understand your "most scary weather moment" sentiment. Mine was also from a severe thunderstorm a couple summers ago. When you're right in the crosshairs, they can be quite frightening.

As for here, somehow, most of the storms missed us: thunder and lighting all around an in all directions but never right overhead until the very last pulse at around 9pm last night one smallish cell came right overhead. Pretty good lighting show, loud cracks and booms of thunder and about 0.30" of rain in just a few minutes...but it very quickly let up and moved east.

Interestingly, we did loose a tree yesterday but it was when the winds came up and gusted to around 30mph in the rush to fill in behind the storm that klw went through. Go figure.

Things look much more peaceable today at least.

I'm pretty sure I saw the bolt of lightning that struck those 3 people in the Weirs last night. There was only one strike close enough to have landed in that general area. It was a longgg diagonal bolt that spanned from the northeast sky to the western sky. It was well out ahead of the rain which explains why those people were still bbq'ing at the time.

That storm was definitely deceiving in the way you talked about klw. I was out at Baker Pond, eastern part of Orford, and it was very dark to our NNE for quite some time with distant rumbles and then we started to see bolts. I also was watching on radar and it looked like it was going to stay just to our NE. Then all of a sudden I looked to North and realized we were about to get nailed, and the wind and rain rapidly picked up. The pond within 5 minutes had whitecaps with about 1 foot waves. I could see how that would have been very scary to be driving in and why you thought it was passing to your NE. One of my scariest weather moments is also a thunderstorm, down in Florida. We were caught under a gazebo with lots of CG strikes within a very close proximity.

My kind of summer day so far here today--low 70s, cloudy all day keeping the seering mid-summer sun at bay and yet balmy feeling.

It's perfect motorcycling weather. Cool enough to have the gear on yet warm enough to be very comfortable and no sun in the eyes.

I'll take another, please.

Going to be spending a week in Maine again this year. Can't wait. Weather looks awesome +10 850s is my kind of July weather. No severe though :(

Nice--have fun. On the coast or at a lake somewhere?

My kind of summer day so far here today--low 70s, cloudy all day keeping the seering mid-summer sun at bay and yet balmy feeling.

It's perfect motorcycling weather. Cool enough to have the gear on yet warm enough to be very comfortable and no sun in the eyes.

I'll take another, please.

Nice--have fun. On the coast or at a lake somewhere?

Great moose lake in hartland.

48 hours from now I'm outta torch land and away from the torch twins.

Going to be spending a week in Maine again this year. Can't wait. Weather looks awesome +10 850s is my kind of July weather. No severe though :(

Slight chance of TS Saturday is about it, Looks like you are going to hit a pretty decent stretch of weather up here over the next 10 days or so temps mid 70's low 80's for the most part

More clouds than I expected today, given the cloud-free start, but still a nice one. GYX morning forecast has the Franklin/Somerset foothills precip-free, not even a 20%, thru next Thursday. Almost every other zone in their CWA has some shower/TS action Sat/Sat night.

All the fun & games Wed aft/eve bypassed MBY with barely enough to wet the ground, while points 30-40 miles north got 2-3". Don't need that, but 0.5" to 1" would be nice for the garden about now. I've recorded measurable precip on 4 days this month, total is 0.15".

More clouds than I expected today, given the cloud-free start, but still a nice one. GYX morning forecast has the Franklin/Somerset foothills precip-free, not even a 20%, thru next Thursday. Almost every other zone in their CWA has some shower/TS action Sat/Sat night.

All the fun & games Wed aft/eve bypassed MBY with barely enough to wet the ground, while points 30-40 miles north got 2-3". Don't need that, but 0.5" to 1" would be nice for the garden about now. I've recorded measurable precip on 4 days this month, total is 0.15".

Same here, But my garden is irrigated so i don't care if we get somewhat dry after June's onslaught.

Same here, But my garden is irrigated so i don't care if we get somewhat dry after June's onslaught.

Mine's only irrigated if I hand-carry the water to it (the 2nd-flue chimney mandated by my mortgage holder eliminated the outdoor spigot), and that's not happening until my back spasm goes away, probably well into next week if past episodes are any predictor. However, everything is well enough established that a dry week or two won't hurt it too badly.

Lot more clouds today than I thought we'd have... high of 84F but that was at like 12pm... clouds kept temps in the low 80s all afternoon.

Looks like the sun is trying to break through, I wonder if we have a late spike... but either way, not coming close to the 88-90F forecast for today.

Down to 77.4 after a high of 79.4. It's probably a long shot, but I wonder if we can manage a sub 80 high. lol

74.4 now with a few sprinkles under a dark overcast. I hate to sound like Pete, but it's nice out right now despite dews near 70.

Muggy morning, with low of 66 (that's pretty elevated for my tree-rich location) and dews to match. Temp reached low 80s, but between the breeze and a few degrees drop in TD, the afternoon was quite nice. Perfect wx for vacationers coming this week, not so perfect for the garden. Water table remains high after June's rains, but the top 6-8" is fairly dust.

Archived