happyweatherforyou
    Newest Member
    happyweatherforyou
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very odd temperatures last night in this area...I had a low on my home station of 58F, however MVL (which is always within a couple degrees) had a low of 65F. For some reason the airport never went calm to decouple, as it was 71/52 at 4am...extremely rare for that site not to immediately plummet under clear skies with that T/td spread. Even on windy days we will get that surface inversion to form between the mountains, but for some reason it never happened last night out by the airport.

Meanwhile the other ASOS in MPV and St. Johnsbury seem to have gone calm for at least a few hours allowing for mins in the upper 50s.

Did you guys ever get into that drier air?

Western New England seemed to have dews in the low to mid 50s last night... up here it's currently 65/56.

Yeah, dews fell into the 50s during the early evening in my neck of the woods. Excellent sleeping weather.

Gonna take the kids to the beach today, since they didn't get enough of it during their CC vaca. Should be hoppin' at OOB with the speedo-wearing Quebecois.

Sweet! I've always wanted to visit the Canadian maritime provinces.

Very nice part of the world and not that far away in the big picture. I mentioned this in one of the other threads but my grandmother's family is from PEI (Scots-Irish) so I've been out there to visit a few times. Though not for several years now--starting to get the itch. I also used to date a woman who grew up in Nova Scotia so we went there quite a few times together to visit her family. Cape Breton is the real gem of Nova Scotia. On the whole, NS is more like Maine & NB: rocky & wooded but PEI is a whole different thing. It's fairly flat except for some rolling hills in the middle of the island and of course the famous red soil and potato farms. It's very pastoral & green. Almost like a new world verision of Ireland.

I've never been to the Gaspe or to Newfoundland. Both are on my list--maybe next summer if I can get enough work done on our fixer-uper between now and then. I'd love to do a three/four-week motorcycle trip all through the Maritimes... :bike:

Anyway, sunny & warm the past couple days. Bordering on hot by my standards but certainly tolerable compared with what's been going on down south and out on the plains. Yikes.

No radar for two weeks is going to make me a little edgy.

]August 6-20th, 2012[/b]

As part of a nation-wide implementation, the exciting dual-polarization radar upgrade to the KGYX WSR-88D will begin on August 6th and will last approximately two weeks. During this installation period, KGYX radar will be unavailable. However, neighboring radars in Caribou, ME; Boston, MA; and Burlington, VT; will still be operational.

No radar for two weeks is going to make me a little edgy.

Bummer. During the summertime shower & thunderstorm season, I use Albany (ENX) to see what is coming and Gray to watch as things pass overhead or nearby. GYX's coverage goes just a bit west of here--though not much. Burlington's radar is bascially useless here unfortunately...though this usually isn't too much of a problem unless things are headed this way directly from the NW. If a big one is coming, I usually have several screens working at once and employ a little extrapolation if need be...

Speaking of which, we missed some good storms yesterday afternoon that passed just south of here. I could see them and hear them but it was a miss all the same. Had a surprise brief downpour though that woke me up around midnight last night. It was short-lived as there's only < 0.10" in the bucket this morning.

Nice and cool this morning--down into the mid 50s.

Great pics as usual Borderwx! Love your part of Vermont. Looks so much more peaceful than the tourist sh*t-show going on in Stowe this week with the 4th and the Canadian holiday today. I can't complain though because I love this place regardless, haha.

I saw your area looked to be getting raked by some heavy boomers... you know the storms must be pretty high up when the BTV radar is showing them nicely all the way up into the Newport area. That's usually getting pretty close to the precip black hole up there but they seem to be showing up surprisingly well on radar.

Thunderstorm, moderate rain.

62/60

Nice little boomer moving through here with some downpours to moisten things up. Can already see the sun coming back out over the mountain to the west... should set us up for some dense fog again tomorrow morning with radiational conditions and now another round of surface moisture.

Like Dendrite, the house fans are working great cooling the house off to an almost chilly level. The storm has dropped my temp briefly to 62F but it has gotten more humid with a dew point of 60F, as normal wet-bulb processes occur.

^ That batch rolled overhead here last night not long before I hit the sack. Only a few rumbles though, nothing too flashy. Picked up 0.10"--starting to feel like winter around here getting nickled & dimed. I'd love to see a good soaker to charge up the well. Maybe tonight and tomorrow. Pretty impressive convection over the Great Lakes this morning, the remnants of which is slated to pass this way tonight.

Had a very pleasant 75 for a max here yesterday. Didn't even need to turn the fans on last night...but on the warm/hot days, I do the same: wait till evening and then suck cooler air into the upstairs. Works like a charm. That's A/C, NNE-style. ;)

A cool 53 at the moment and sunrise getting noticeably later already....

You have a keen eye for detail - we've lost about 6 minutes on the entire day!

Am I Captain Obvious? ;)

But yeah, I don't check the daily sunrise/sunset almanac very often but I'm up early enough in the morning to catch the sun as it comes up over the mountain just to our east. There's a glow for a long time and then bam! The rays come pouring in the house. This time of year it's so bright in the morning I can hardly look out the windows on the east side of the house--but I've noticed a little extra time the past few days before this happens.

Anyway, had some cool ground fog (for lack of a better term) this morning. The CT River valley was very foggy but as usual, we were mostly above it at the house:

7494334996_307de18780_c.jpg

Managed to escape 3-4 shower/TS opportunites yesterday with just 0.01" IMBY - wife reported "50 drops", or about the same thing, and only some distant rumbles. 74/52 was nice, and it was down close to 50 this morning. Still plenty of water around from June's 9.06". The month's temps were 1.7F below my 14-yr avg and 3rd lowest (2009 coolest, 2004 next), the rainfall was +3.7" but only 3rd highest, behind 2009 and way behind 1998.

Still plenty of water around from June's 9.06".

Only 3.17" at my 'hood for June, hence me wishing for a soaker. :maprain:

Had 6.12" in May but otherwise, every month this calendar year has been below nornal--Feb being very paltry at only 0.76".

18.79" for 2012 so far which is a bit low considering we usually end up somewhere between 45--50".

A beautiful morning and day in northern VT... was 53/53 when I left the house with dense fog, but didn't have to go far to drive out of it as usual this time of year.

Stopped to take some pictures on my morning commute to 3,625ft.

IMG_7114_edited-2.jpg

IMG_7124_edited-2.jpg

The early morning fog burned off quickly in the valley, providing a top 10 summer day with 70s in the valley and near 60F at the summit with "fair weather clouds." We could even see Mount Washington pretty well all day, which is quite rare in the summer. If you look closely in this photo you can see it very faintly on the horizon (left side over the golf course). I wasn't trying to capture it but just shows how clear and haze-free the air was today.

IMG_7151_edited-2.jpg

Very hard to get stressed out at work looking at this scene all day.

IMG_7154_edited-2.jpg

Archived