BlueSkyGA
    Newest Member
    BlueSkyGA
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had to pick a spot, I would want it right over Vim Toot or Fort Kent. That would put a slightly more westerly component to the wind. Yesterday was NNW but more northerly than I like which is why we didn't do as well as west of the Spine. It's like the one direction where we get local downslope so close to the eastern slope...more westerly flow and the downslope is removed to the east a bit.

Oh blecchhh! Sounds like the Storm That Ate 2010. The New Year's Day retro-bomb actually stalled a bit farther east, but backed up close to Tooterville as it effectively ended that winter for Maine (while burying BTV.) One man's feast is the next man's famine, when it comes to winter storms, as some of the foothills' finest give mere dustings to N.VT.

Showers, occasionally heavy for short bursts, during the past 2 hr, though not ATM - all the dark is to the SE, which is downrange today. More upstream but perhaps too far north to hit AUG, and I'd guess Jeff has had little or nothing from this bunch.

Oh blecchhh! Sounds like the Storm That Ate 2010. The New Year's Day retro-bomb actually stalled a bit farther east, but backed up close to Tooterville as it effectively ended that winter for Maine (while burying BTV.) One man's feast is the next man's famine, when it comes to winter storms, as some of the foothills' finest give mere dustings to N.VT.

Isn't that the truth? In a perfect world, we could get something to bomb out in the GOM and bury you guys, then have it take a deeply negative tilt and retrograde slowly back across N.ME and southern Quebec.

We'd miss the synoptic snow that falls in the foothills but then get a couple days of NW flow pounding. We all win ;)

Showers, occasionally heavy for short bursts, during the past 2 hr, though not ATM - all the dark is to the SE, which is downrange today. More upstream but perhaps too far north to hit AUG, and I'd guess Jeff has had little or nothing from this bunch.

Just a couple very light brief showers this am , .04" has fallen since last night, Looks like they have been over your area and further ENE into more of Central Maine, They are drying up before reaching here with a down slope effect

Isn't that the truth? In a perfect world, we could get something to bomb out in the GOM and bury you guys, then have it take a deeply negative tilt and retrograde slowly back across N.ME and southern Quebec.

We'd miss the synoptic snow that falls in the foothills but then get a couple days of NW flow pounding. We all win ;)

We all have our favored storm tracks we would like to see, Unfortunately, We are seeing some of the better ones now............. :lol:

Rain continues to fall across the upslope region... daily totals are again in the 1-2" range. J.Spin should have a whopper of a storm total.

I can tell the wind is more westerly now too instead of northerly because we've been getting in on some heavy rain today here on the Mountain Road (108) where as yesterday we seemed to be in that dry zone (though still got 0.77").

Mansfield is regurgitating 30-40dbz and sending them down the Mountain Road.

Another interesting aspect is that in the Mansfield region, the heavier precip yesterday fell on the northwestern side (Smuggs Base Area) but today the Stowe Base Area has recorded about twice as much precipitation on the eastern side of the mountain. Plenty of 1" amounts though on the western slope in towns like Underhill, West Bolton, and Richmond, too.

I can tell the wind is more westerly now too instead of northerly because we've been getting in on some heavy rain today here on the Mountain Road (108) where as yesterday we seemed to be in that dry zone (though still got 0.77").

And right on cue it's started to get drizzly here in the past hour or so. With a northerly flow, we get shut out but when it comes NW, there seems to be enough room in the Winooski gap for moisture to reach our neck of the woods.

I don't even want to think about the death ridge potentially looming....

I miss winter.

I'd be neck deep right now.

Sweet jesus... I knew this upslope flow was producing but holy crap at the 24 hour precipitation total on Mansfield... 4.08" is a good reason why the river in town went from being ankle deep to white water rafting material:

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
521 PM EDT WED JUN 27 2012
STATION			PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT		 SNOW
			   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER	 NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD	 4.08	50  45  50

That's following this from yesterday...

DAILY HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL DATA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
513 PM EDT TUE JUN 26 2012
STATION			PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT		 SNOW
			   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER	 NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD	 1.32	50  42  46   LIGHT FOG	0.0   0

So the big mountain is at a storm total of 5.40" so far!

Rain continues to fall across the upslope region... daily totals are again in the 1-2" range. J.Spin should have a whopper of a storm total.

3.34” and counting as of this evening; we would be enjoying the neck deep stuff with adk if this was a winter storm.

Still just a wee bit of drizzle and a few light showers around this moring but it seems the drier air is starting to win the day.

Interesting to read about perhaps some activity tomorrow morning with a s/w dropping down from Canada. Those early morning rumblers are always kind of fun.

Mild this morning too at almost 60 to start the day. It looks cooler than it is with the mixed skies and sprinkles around.

3.34” and counting as of this evening; we would be enjoying the neck deep stuff with adk if this was a winter storm.

Nice!

Here in Stowe we had the usual upslope gradient with the mountain picking up a heck of a lot of QPF, while down in the center of Stowe Village we had about half the precipitation that the station at the base of the ski resort had. However we still had a decent total >1.5" from the event. Watching this in progress for 2-3 days it was very evident the gradient because even at Topnotch and up the road near the Matterhorn it was absolutely pouring non-stop while down in town it was much smaller droplets and at times would taper off to a mist/drizzle.

As is usual in upslope precipitation events, here in Stowe we certainly won't get shut-out, but we also won't jackpot. Meanwhile the mountain just up the road will likely jackpot, haha. The mountain forms like a 4,000ft ramp for air to lift up so its fairly easy to produce these huge amounts of precipitation if you can sustain the moisture and flow (look at the topographic map, the NW flank of Mansfield literally is quite literally a ramp).

This is the gradient I'm always talking about here on the Mountain Road (RT 108)...

And to really geek out, comparing the Stowe Village (730ft) with J.Spin's Waterbury station (495ft), as usual, the two areas run just about identical in more widespread precipitation events like the first two days. But then you can tell that as the flow went more NW and orographic, J.Spin's precipitation really cranked into a whole other gear for the last two days.

In hindsight, the main thing from this event that I will take away locally is how the more northerly the flow was, the worse we did in Stowe Village, while the better areas like BTV and the western slopes did. Usually if the flow is more northwesterly, the precipitation carries downwind of the mountain into town much better (ie. last Feb's big upslope snow, as well as April's upslope precp event), at the expense of places like Burlington/Williston and some of the areas on the line between "western slope" and "Champlain Valley." The northerly flow converges in the Champlain Valley and with a slight westerly component we end up with bigger QPF event across the whole VT side of the Champlain Valley... you've got converging winds between the 'Dacks and Greens, as well as the lake/land friction and back-building as air gets backed up from the Spine.

I always like watching how slight changes in wind direction can affect our local area... it really helps in forecasting where the heaviest upslope precipitation will fall.

ps: Sorry to all those that don't care one iota about upslope... I just love analyzing these events so thanks for putting up with it, haha.

Max temps the last 3 days...

6/25 67.1F

6/26 67.6F

6/27 68.9F

Not bad.

At my place:

25th...62/55

26th...60/56

27th...62/53

28th...low was 51-52, high should be low-mid 70s, so only a bit below avg. My avg here for those dates is about 75/54, a degree milder for 29-30.

2nd short sharp shower just finishing here in AUG; think they bypassed MBY on both sides, which is fine. June total was 9.06" as of 7 AM. Month is running -2.5 for temp, will probably finsih at about -2.0 to 2.2. GYX has S.Franklin at about 85/55 and 85/60 Fri-Sat. My instrument will usually run about 2F cooler than Farmington this time of year, so that would be about +3 and +5.

ps: Sorry to all those that don't care one iota about upslope... I just love analyzing these events so thanks for putting up with it, haha.

Great stuff PF, I was going to post my event total, but I’m glad to see that you already grabbed it from CoCoRaHS, 3.41” for the four days. All these events are great for you because they allow you to refine your forecasting for the Northern Greens. I looked into similar winter event totals for liquid to see what a cold season version of this would be like – closest I saw in liquid in the past couple of seasons was that storm from early March of last year. That storm delivered 3.55” of liquid, but only 25.0” of snow because there was some rain on the front end, and the snow was fairly typical synoptic stuff, not upslope-density champagne. I did get to give the snow thrower a workout with that synoptic snow though, so that was fun, even if we didn’t receive feet of Champlain Powder™:

07MAR11D.jpg

Better for you and tamarack, naso much me, but we'll see. Eyes to the skies (and radar)

That's okay. I watched the radar this morning as the precip shield's slow counterclockwise motion spun all those colorful echoes in N.NH and Maine Mts to just south of MBY. Not that any rain is needed there before next weekend. ;)

Archived