Harmonie
    Newest Member
    Harmonie
June 2012 Severe Weather/Convection Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strongest rotation I have seen on a storm in about 4 years, and there have been many tor warnings before that. I could tell you why it's not warned, but I can't post that on a public message board.

Please, do share.

Sad I missed that storm (though it sounds like it weakened before getting to New Brunswick). I was ironically out chasing in the Plains seeing nothing that day while John was texting Dsnowx53- and I pictures of that storm over central NJ. :blink: Go figure.

Once it crossed into Somerset county from Morris it weakened considerably. Most of the wind and hail was gone though we did get an inch of rain and some good thunder and lightning.

Please, do share.

Sad I missed that storm (though it sounds like it weakened before getting to New Brunswick). I was ironically out chasing in the Plains seeing nothing that day while John was texting Dsnowx53- and I pictures of that storm over central NJ. :blink: Go figure.

Please, do share.

meh, that was all handled last week, no reason to go through that again.

You got any pics of your plains chase?

meh, that was all handled last week, no reason to go through that again.

You got any pics of your plains chase?

Yep. Actually still going through them - taking forever, it seems. The pattern was ultimately crap but we made the best of it and wound up seeing 3 supercells and a tornado (albeit hardly textbook as the pictures will show :arrowhead:). I should be making a thread in the Photo section soon that I'll link to. :)

Yep. Actually still going through them - taking forever, it seems. The pattern was ultimately crap but we made the best of it and wound up seeing 3 supercells and a tornado (albeit hardly textbook as the pictures will show :arrowhead:). I should be making a thread in the Photo section soon that I'll link to. :)

great looking forward to seeing it, I am sure even the crappy outbreaks make anything we see out here look pathetic.

can some "iso severe" clusters form this eve along the sfc trof that sets up along the coast and just inland? We'll see. It has ridging aloft going against it pretty hard. Oh hell, lets let some folks cool off with a tstorm chance. Why not?

can some "iso severe" clusters form this eve along the sfc trof that sets up along the coast and just inland? We'll see. It has ridging aloft going against it pretty hard. Oh hell, lets let some folks cool off with a tstorm chance. Why not?

The 0z SPC WRF does show some t-storms this evening:

post-187-0-64629600-1340190552_thumb.gif

Yea, SPC likes FRI for SVR. Shear is just enough and instability is fine. Wish the shortwave was a bit closer but still should provide enough forcing to ignite some good storms.

yup, saw the setup several days ago, sheer was an issue, but it has improved to the point as you say that it's just there.

Plenty of instability.

cape stays under 1000 on friday according to nam bufkit

its about 1300 at 8am on the EWR sounding, but then it goes below 1000 as things start popping up. The timing of this potential morning convection well ahead of the front is going to be the death of me the next 2 days. Euro has been saying no, gfs has been saying big time yes...nam/sref are kind of right in the middle, showing the slower front but also picking up some scattered stuff in the AM still for the DC-NYC corridor.

its about 1300 at 8am on the EWR sounding, but then it goes below 1000 as things start popping up. The timing of this potential morning convection well ahead of the front is going to be the death of me the next 2 days. Euro has been saying no, gfs has been saying big time yes...nam is kind of right in the middle, showing the slower front but also picking up some scattered stuff in the AM still for the DC-NYC corridor.

12z NAM looks very aggresive with the line of storms tomorrow afternoon. Looks like some training as well.

its about 1300 at 8am on the EWR sounding, but then it goes below 1000 as things start popping up. The timing of this potential morning convection well ahead of the front is going to be the death of me the next 2 days. Euro has been saying no, gfs has been saying big time yes...nam/sref are kind of right in the middle, showing the slower front but also picking up some scattered stuff in the AM still for the DC-NYC corridor.

i've noticed the gfs and nam tend to show development too early. climo says ~18z onward

i've noticed the gfs and nam tend to show development too early. climo says ~18z onward

well that is good to know forky. I was largely discounting the gfs for the most part. It seems to be showing way too much precip/convection ever since the upgrade...the nam/sref is what had my attention. sref probs are still pretty low until 18z onward like you said, but a few members have the morning stuff. barring no convection through midday, temps should shoot up like a carbon copy of today looking at 925 temps

Not overly impressed... the best shear is lacking behind the surface front..at the time of the heaviest precip on the SREF mean our 0-6km bulk shear is less than 30 kts...but i'm sure we'll get some heavy rain and thunderstorms due to the widespread instability and moist airmass with the front approaching.

Not overly impressed... the best shear is lacking behind the surface front..at the time of the heaviest precip on the SREF mean our 0-6km bulk shear is less than 30 kts...but i'm sure we'll get some heavy rain and thunderstorms due to the widespread instability and moist airmass with the front approaching.

Yeah heavy rain will be the biggest story in my opinion. Solid instability in a moist atmosphere (pwats approaching 2") along with weak winds along a slow moving front..

Archived