• Created
  • Last Reply

78b75f1ab34c11e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

vn pic :thumbsup:

storm reports -

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...SUMMARY

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ

726 PM EDT SUN JUN 10 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0529 PM TSTM WND DMG 2 SE SPARTA 41.01N 74.61W

06/10/2012 SUSSEX NJ 911 CALL CENTER

LIMBS DOWN

0530 PM TSTM WND DMG 3 E HOPATCONG 40.93N 74.61W

06/10/2012 MORRIS NJ 911 CALL CENTER

WIDESPREAD TREES AND WIRES DOWN FROM EAST OF HOPATCONG

SOUTHWARD

0608 PM TSTM WND DMG 3 SE BERNARDSVILLE 40.70N 74.55W

06/10/2012 SOMERSET NJ 911 CALL CENTER

TREES AND WIRES DOWN.

0615 PM FLOOD 4 E BERNARDSVILLE 40.73N 74.52W

06/10/2012 MORRIS NJ 911 CALL CENTER

ROAD FLOODING ON INTERSTATE 287

78b75f1ab34c11e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

freakin earthlight, its like severe weather is attracted to you. im jealous ill admit it lol. i like you john but these images that you take fuel my inner-jealousy that your in the right place in the right time most of the time and i cant even buy a decent t-storm where i am. but beautiful pic though you took you my friend get a :twister:

freakin earthlight, its like severe weather is attracted to you. im jealous ill admit it lol. i like you john but these images that you take fuel my inner-jealousy that your in the right place in the right time most of the time and i cant even buy a decent t-storm where i am. but beautiful pic though you took you my friend

I had to move to get this one -- took a ride on 78 west and jumped off near Gillette and got near a higher elevation. But the storm had already outflowed and was collapsing by that point. The rotation that was evident on the velocity scans up near Menham was dead and the winds weren't even that impressive.

how is there no tornado warning right now ?

Strongest rotation I have seen on a storm in about 4 years, and there have been many tor warnings before that. I could tell you why it's not warned, but I can't post that on a public message board.

The reason why no tornado warning was issued was because we were also using the data from the EWR TDWR, which had a better look at it. There was no real gate to gate signature which this radar was scanning much closer to the ground. The rotation that was showing up aloft tightened up once the sea breeze front undercut the storm and that probably allowed an increase in the updraft for a time. Despite a TVS being shown off of our radar, we were in contact with the county and they were not getting any reports of a tornado. The radar velocity data especially from the EWR TDWR showed nearly 50 knots at about 400 feet above the ground in Morris County. We believe there was no tornado and the downed trees and wires were caused by straight line winds.

The reason why no tornado warning was issued was because we were also using the data from the EWR TDWR, which had a better look at it. There was no real gate to gate signature which this radar was scanning much closer to the ground. The rotation that was showing up aloft tightened up once the sea breeze front undercut the storm and that probably allowed an increase in the updraft for a time. Despite a TVS being shown off of our radar, we were in contact with the county and they were not getting any reports of a tornado. The radar velocity data especially from the EWR TDWR showed nearly 50 knots at about 400 feet above the ground in Morris County. We believe there was no tornado and the downed trees and wires were caused by straight line winds.

Agree on not issuing a warning - you guys did a great job today. The EWR TDWR had a great look at it, that's what I was using when I decided to jump on I-78 and go a few towns to the west. It looked, at that point, like the rotation would be brief but at the very least the strong winds right off the deck would be a sight to see.

By the time I intercepted the storm, the structure was great but the outflow had jumped way out ahead of the actual precipitation...the winds were actually pretty lackluster. Did see some small hail and of course a ton of lightning and heavy rain.

Yeah agreed with your call. The DIX radar did show strong low level rotation but that really peaked when the supercell was interacting with the sea breeze front moving inland. While the increase in low level horizontal vorticity probably enhanced the updraft and strengthened the mesocyclone the environment wasn't favorable for a tornado with a more stable airmass behind the sea breeze front plus high LCLs owing to the relatively dry boundary layer. Nice storm to watch with a couple neat mesoscale interactions.

Strongest rotation I have seen on a storm in about 4 years, and there have been many tor warnings before that. I could tell you why it's not warned, but I can't post that on a public message board.

Are you for real? While it was an impressive supercell for a period of time nothing about that storm made me think a tornado warning was necessary. Thankfully you're not manning the radar desk throwing out tornado warnings like candy whenever a storm has rotation.

Even though it didn't spawn one, I still agree with Analog96 on the rotation.

At-least on the levels that we have access to.

Great non-call. You guys had to be close to hittin the trigger though.

Goes to show how boring the weather's been lately. Big ole debate over 1 cell.

I had to move to get this one -- took a ride on 78 west and jumped off near Gillette and got near a higher elevation. But the storm had already outflowed and was collapsing by that point. The rotation that was evident on the velocity scans up near Menham was dead and the winds weren't even that impressive.

awesome dedication in getting the shot though. one thing i do respect you for is your tenacity to really get the best pics and give an awesome forecast/outlooks for our area when weather is impending for our area

gonna have to watch tommorow for some thunderstorm development around our area as well. should be more widespread than the pat few days storm threats.

Big storms Friday. Book it.

Gotta second you on this one. Gonna be a frontal passage then and with us being hot and humid and the atmosphere very unstable to say the least we could see a widespread severe outbreak on friday. We'll see as we get closer though, but i was thinking the same thing and even coastal areas may get in on this time

Gotta second you on this one. Gonna be a frontal passage then and with us being hot and humid and the atmosphere very unstable to say the least we could see a widespread severe outbreak on friday. We'll see as we get closer though, but i was thinking the same thing and even coastal areas may get in on this time

Worried about early morning storms that may leave debris and ruin the best instability but the setup is there.

Archived