clydes6
    Newest Member
    clydes6
June 2012 Severe Weather/Convection Discussion

earthlight

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is why posters from SW CT should be restricted to posting only in the SNE sub-forum (I hope I'm not talking out of both sides of my mouth). Sorry for the delayed response.

What? you can't be serious. Extreme differences in their weather to ours, we fit into the nyc climo just fine.

I am not home but dam that looked liked super heavy rain right over my house and confrimed with .86 overnight plus .94 yesterday. 1.8 inches of rain....dam.

Dude it not only poured but the lightning was intense. Non stop shotgun bolts. It was like the neighborhood was under attack...didn't fall to sleep until 530 after that. And because the power kept coming on and off. What a day for long island thunderstorms! Epic.

Dude it not only poured but the lightning was intense. Non stop shotgun bolts. It was like the neighborhood was under attack...didn't fall to sleep until 530 after that. And because the power kept coming on and off. What a day for long island thunderstorms! Epic.

Rain on the AC woke me up. I walked into the living room with most lights off and the flashes from the lightning looked like the swat team were shining a giant search light through windows. It was pretty intense stuff.

monday morning looks pretty active. the nam has over 1k of cape despite the bad timing. if only it could slow down a few hours

Yeah the bulk of the event looks to be over by 18z, which is terrible timing wise. Thermodynamics and surface instability will be poor, but a sub 1005mb low with decent dynamics could potentially compensate. I'm not too enthused about it right now.

monday morning looks pretty active. the nam has over 1k of cape despite the bad timing. if only it could slow down a few hours

Good shear and it will be interesting to see how much instability verifies due to the timing.

I generally like these closed low set ups for active weather this time of year. If we can get

some weak frontal wave development, then the low level helicity would be locally enhanced.

Yeah the bulk of the event looks to be over by 18z, which is terrible timing wise. Thermodynamics and surface instability will be poor, but a sub 1005mb low with decent dynamics could potentially compensate. I'm not too enthused about it right now.

instability might not be much of a problem

post-63-0-98252200-1340462968_thumb.gif

I wasn't able to stick around. Was hanging with the A/C repairman in my garage while the storm was going on. There were some tree branches down. The hail just missed me to the north by about a mile. The next town north (Bardonia) got it. The wind was good and nice CG's.

Yea i was on Middletown rd on the nanuet/new city border when the hail came....it lasted a good 10 minutes or so of straight pounding. I have a video of the sound of the hail hitting the car.

I have some amazing footage from the rockland/westchester storm yesterday. I was sitting at an applebees of 9a in Hawthorne and saw an amazing shelf cloud and some pretty cool looking cloud formations. 40-50mph winds, dime sized hail, numerous ctg strikes and flooding rains. Will post pics and video later in the day after I upload

Yea i was on Middletown rd on the nanuet/new city border when the hail came....it lasted a good 10 minutes or so of straight pounding. I have a video of the sound of the hail hitting the car.

You mean you couldn't get out and get some good visuals. j/k.

Edit, you would have also been able to get a better sense of the storm's impact.

What? you can't be serious. Extreme differences in their weather to ours, we fit into the nyc climo just fine.

Hey, I'm always serious. But seriously, doesn't LI Sound have a greater stabilizing effect in the spring and early summer on the lower portions of the boundary layer along most of the Ct shoreline than Westchester's because it's much wider and is in a more upstream position relative to the Ct. shoreline than Westchester's?

Archived