• Created
  • Last Reply

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

404 PM EDT FRI JUN 22 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN UPTON NY HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

PASSAIC COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

NORTHWESTERN BERGEN COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

ROCKLAND COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

SOUTHERN ORANGE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK...

* UNTIL 445 PM EDT...

* AT 359 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 6 MILES

NORTH OF WEST MILFORD...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

* OTHER LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO

FLORIDA...WARWICK...GREENWOOD LAKE...RINGWOOD...MONROE...

SLOATSBURG...HARRIMAN...SUFFERN...MONSEY...POMONA...NANUET...PEARL

RIVER...NEW CITY...ORANGEBURG AND HAVERSTRAW

18,000 without power now on the island, not a great number, was expecting higher to be honest. Towns around me got nailed, only some of my town lost power though.

For all you firemen out there, why does the fire whistle go off when a bad storm starts? To warn the town? I mean i know that afterwards there were trees down, etc, but ****, it made me think there was a tornado at one point when it was out of hand

This is going to be rich.

Probably going to somehow manage to dodge all of the severe cells in NNJ.

That's nothing new around here... there was that other day this year when we also dodged all of the severe cells when a line fell apart and new activity failed to blow up significantly. Hopefully Rockland county gets something, I'm thinking about doing a little chasing up there this evening.

I had a nice storm today, sorry you missed it. There are others coming in now too. May want to hold onto your standard bust call till after all the storms move out.

LOL 90% of Fairfield county saw nothing-look at the storm total map for precip...

-

storms split the uprights....

LOL 90% of Fairfield county saw nothing-look at the storm total map for precip...

-

storms split the uprights....

10% of us are special then.

no worries, look at the radar, its all coming together, and the sun came out again, still plenty of instability in the airmass

That could grow in size as well when it reaches the boundary. The small cell in Rockland hit the same boundary and quickly grew in size.

Yeah, that complex of storms over rockland headed towards weschester def. pulsed up over the last few scans.

A lot of sun out ahead of them.

18,000 without power now on the island, not a great number, was expecting higher to be honest. Towns around me got nailed, only some of my town lost power though.

For all you firemen out there, why does the fire whistle go off when a bad storm starts? To warn the town? I mean i know that afterwards there were trees down, etc, but ****, it made me think there was a tornado at one point when it was out of hand

Not with the FD, but have had friends that volunteered. Usually a general alarm, could be a fire alarm in a bldg went off, if you hear the siren go off for an 8 count. In Nassau county, if a structure fire is going (signal 10) and they need more man power, they'll sound it again, after the initial siren went off, & call for mutual aid as well. Siren goes off once if a chauffeur is requested for the rescure truck or ambulance or if an ambulance call comes into the FD (signal 9a).

Not with the FD, but have had friends that volunteered. Usually a general alarm, could be a fire alarm in a bldg went off, if you hear the siren go off for an 8 count. In Nassau county, if a structure fire is going (signal 10) and they need more man power, they'll sound it again, after the initial siren went off, & call for mutual aid as well. Siren goes off once if a chauffeur is requested for the rescure truck or ambulance or if an ambulance call comes into the FD (signal 9a).

oh ok...do they sound tornado alarms on the east coast?? how would someone know the difference...just curious

Archived