• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

The NAM is also trending a bit hotter for what it's worth; latest 0z run is back to showing widespread 100 degree heat along I-95 up to NYC on Friday with mid 90s on Saturday. Maybe not 100 degrees, but upper 90s are possible especially further west/SW. And it wouldn't surprise me if Central Park still somehow ends up cooler than the rest of NYC as it has been since the last heat wave.

The 0z NAM is this hot, because it has west winds and 850mb temps 23-24C, Friday afternoon.

2u6fuh3.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not think NYC will see a severe storm for the next seven days at least according to this snippet from Upton's discussion:

INSTABILITY IS PRESENT BUT IS MAINLY ELEVATED (ABOVE

700MB). MODELS SOUNDINGS ARE ALSO INDICATING A LOW LEVEL INVERSION

WILL BE PRESENT AND A CAP AROUND H8. THEREFORE CONFIDENCE IN

THUNDERSTORMS...LET ALONE SEVERE WX IS DECREASING

In fact, I think that NYC will fall back into a drought once again, as the day-to-day rainfall defecits keep on accumulating on top of one another. We are almost 7 inches below normal so far this year. There is almost no rainfall being predicted for the next seven days as well, so this will certainly get worse.

You should report it.

It was corrected.

NYC now has a -32.4 total monthly departure.

Will still be very close. Going off the forecasted highs and lows for the last 3 days of June:

Today: 90/68 = +5.5

Friday: 97/74 = +12

Saturday: 94/77 = +12

Total: +29.5

Would only leave NYC with a total monthly departure of -2.9 or -.1 for the month.

So it can still go either way. Only wildcard is strength of storms tomorrow morning. If a heavy enough downpour hits Central Park, the temp can drop quickly into the mid 60's, which would only make tomorrow a + 6 to +8.

manhattan will hit the low 90s today and the park will probably top out at 88

Possibly. But again, so what? Central Park is Central park. Monthly departures are compared at the same station. So if June, 2012 ends up slightly below at Central park, then it's slightly below. We aren't comparing Central Park to LGA.

A flawed station today was flawed in 1998 also.

Which means the potential negative monthly departure is BS.

No it doesnt. Please think about what you are saying for a second. The Central Park station is the Central Park station. Temps in 1998, 2001 or 2012 have always been skewed low from the tree cover in the park.

No difference.

Possibly. But again, so what? Central Park is Central park. Monthly departures are compared at the same station. So if June, 2012 ends up slightly below at Central park, then it's slightly below. We aren't comparing Central Park to LGA.

A flawed station today was flawed in 1998 also.

it's gotten much worse over the past decade. there used to be occasions where knyc would have a warmer high than kewr, but that almost never happens anymore

No it doesnt. Pelase think about what you are saying for a second. The Central Park station is the Central Park station. Temps in 1998, 2001 or 2012 have always been skewed low from the tree cover in the park.

No difference.

trees grow

it's gotten much worse over the past decade. there used to be occasions where knyc would have a warmer high than kewr, but that almost never happens anymore

Incorrect...

Look at the average temps at each station...Central Park is skewed.

For instance for yesterday:

Average temps for 6/27 (since 1982):

EWR: 76

LGA: 74.5

NYC: 73.5

The NYC average temps is lower then EVERY station. 2.5 degree difference with Newark.

NYC's stats reflect the cold bias.

Its not as if KNYC has the same average temp as EWR or LGA and the daily anomalies are going off that. The daily anomalies are going off KNYC skewed daily averages from a 30 year average.

Incorrect...

Look at the average temps at each station...Central Park is skewed.

For instance for yesterday:

Average temps for 6/27 (since 1982):

EWR: 76

LGA: 74.5

NYC: 73.5

The NYC average temps is lower then EVERY station. 2.5 degree difference with Newark.

NYC's stats reflect the cold bias.

Its not as if KNYC has the same average temp as EWR or LGA and the daily anomalies are going off that. The daily anomalies are going off KNYC skewed daily averages from a 30 year average.

2002 vs 2009 looks a good deal worse if you ask me (in terms of vegetation)..

http://www.weather2000.com/ASOS/NYC_ASOS.html

you proved my point. each decade saw a drop

Average yearly temps at Central Park station since 1982:

1982-1991: 55.55

1992-2001: 55.09

2002-2011: 55.43

The station is the exact same as it was in 1982. It's always been skewed to the low.

and how does dx/dt for nyc compare to dx/dt for ewr?

Find me a site that has EWR's average monthly temps since 1982 and I will do the math.

But the most accurate and fair to compare would be LGA.

Where can I find LGA's info?

For Forky:

Average June and July temp at Central Park station since 1962 by decade:

June:

1962-1971: 72.1

1972-1981: 70.8

1982-1991: 72.03

1992-2001: 72.01

2002-2011: 71.98

July:

1962-1971: 76.1

1972-1981: 77.1