Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z euro however modified the next trough. It's more east allowing for heat to stick around and come back in the day 7-10 frame.

GFS still maintains the big trough and keeps the northeast normal to below normal in the long range.

0z euro however modified the next trough. It's more east allowing for heat to stick around and come back in the day 7-10 frame.

GFS still maintains the big trough and keeps the northeast normal to below normal in the long range.

I"m betting on the heat to stay around, could be another record hot July if this keeps up.

Just back from southern california for quick trip. Left right after storms on monday, was ver surprised to get out. Weather there was similar to what we have had here many times this spring/summer. Anyway back to the regional weather. Gorgeous morning here in c-nj. Looks like we start our climb back to normal and then some heat this weekend. Funny business with front and clouds to work around but still looks hot and overall warm into next week including the 4th. May have had out coolest readings till later in the summer.

That thermometer seating in Central Park must be taking its toll as NYC is running cooler than the other stations.

EWR, JFK, and LGA should finish June with above normal temperatures .

Speaking of which thru the 26th.

TEB: -0.4

NYC: -1.1

EWR: -0.8

LGA: -0.2

JFK: -0.3

ISP: 0.0

TTN: -0.6

Today should be a -1 to -2 if the forecast high is not surpassed with a low of 62 this morning.

That would leave NYC with a -30.1 total monthly departure with the 3 day heat wave left.

EWR would be left with a -22.3

Even for NYC, it will be tough to hold on to that -30.1, if the temps for the last 3 days are 90, 95 and 92. That would put NYC at or above +30 for the last 3 days. Only thing that can save NYC is if very heavy Thunderstorms impact the area on Friday. That can drop the temps to the 60's and even a 95 degree high would only be a +7 to +8 departure. If the timing of the NAM's early morning Tstorms is correct, that would be NYC's saving grace for Friday's departures as a heavy downpour can easily drop the temps into the low 60's in the early morning.

LGA, JFK, ISP and BDR are a lock to be slightly above normal for June. EWR has a very slight chance of staying below normal, but most likely they will be slightly above normal. Again, only heavy thunderstorms to drop the low temps into the low 60's would keep EWR below normal.

NYC is the only station that has a 50/50 shot at finishing below normal and only by a fraction.

That thermometer seating in Central Park must be taking its toll as NYC is running cooler than the other stations.

EWR, JFK, and LGA should finish June with above normal temperatures .

EWR and NYC are only separated by 7.8 total monthly departure degrees. That's fairly close. Kind of surprising that the hottest and coldest stations are running the closest.

why does everyone care so much about the month finishing above or below normal?

Why not? We have had a streak of 14 straight months of positive departures. Some are looking to keep that streak going and others are looking for it to break.

why does everyone care so much about the month finishing above or below normal?

Don't know about others but here are my reasons: 14 consecutive month streak on the line here for NYC -- if this month finishes < 0, that streak is over. Personally I'd like to see NYC end up above normal. All the other NYC stations will be warm, and plus, I went slightly above normal for June, so I'd also like my forecast to verify. If NYC finishes cool, they'll certainly stick out like a sore thumb w/ everyone else on the mild side. Hopefully drive home the point that that station is completely unrepresentative of the majority of the metro area.

Don't know about others but here are my reasons: 14 consecutive month streak on the line here for NYC -- if this month finishes < 0, that streak is over. Personally I'd like to see NYC end up above normal. All the other NYC stations will be warm, and plus, I went slightly above normal for June, so I'd also like my forecast to verify. If NYC finishes cool, they'll certainly stick out like a sore thumb w/ everyone else on the mild side. Hopefully drive home the point that that station is completely unrepresentative of the majority of the metro area.

EWR likely finishes +.2 to +.6

NYC likely finishes -.3 to +.3

That is not sticking out like a sore thumb. That's fairly close.

Similar to August of 2011:

NYC finished +.1

LGA -.3

EWR: +1.1

LGA is not sticking out like a sore thumb there. If anything, Newark sticks out.

One interesting thing is the overnight lows. This morning EWR was 62 so even if they hit 86 today its going to be -2. Tomorrow may end up +8 on the high but normal or even a degree or two below on the low side so it will only be a +4. Friday may end up at least +12 on the high but +4-+6 on the low. Now granted these are the forecast lows, EWR often stays a few degrees higher than expected so we shall see.

I think the reason for being interested in this is that by most accounts June was a cool month. At least half the days were below normal and we will end up having 6 90 degree+ days. Yet even with that to still squeak above normal for the month is rather impressive.

EWR likely finishes +.2 to +.9

NYC finished +.1

LGA -.3

LGA is not sticking out like a sore thumb there. If anything, Newark sticks out.

One interesting thing is the overnight lows. This morning EWR was 62 so even if they hit 86 today its going to be -2. Tomorrow may end up +8 on the high but normal or even a degree or two below on the low side so it will only be a +4. Friday may end up at least +12 on the high but +4-+6 on the low. Now granted these are the forecast lows, EWR often stays a few degrees higher than expected so we shall see.

I think the reason for being interested in this is that by most accounts June was a cool month. At least half the days were below normal and we will end up having 6 90 degree+ days. Yet even with that to still squeak above normal for the month is rather impressive.

Yeah. The potential for heavy tstorms on Friday are the big player here.

If the timing is early Friday morning, like the NAM has, a heavy downpour can easily drop the temps into the low 60's, even upper 50's. So even a high of 95-98 is only a +6 to +8 departure instead of a +12 to +14 departure.

Will be so close for NYC and even EWR...Depends on the low temps.

EWR likely finishes +.2 to +.6

NYC finished +.1

LGA -.3

I can understand the argument in defense of Central Park, but I still feel that most towns in NE NJ and Manhattan experience high temps closer to that of EWR than NYC. EWR may be the hot spot, but I think most are closer to that.

Joe B last night:

"NYC is 1 below normal for month and was 10 below normal today. The "hot shot" there did not erase 5 days of cool before, neither will this"

I detailed how the next 3 days can easily erase the -30 total departure for the month.

3 days is a row of 90+ degree with lows in the 70's will put NYC slightly ABOVE normal.

I can understand the argument in defense of Central Park, but I still feel that most towns in NE NJ and Manhattan experience high temps closer to that of EWR than NYC. EWR may be the hot spot, but I think most are closer to that.

Agree. But NYC and EWR are running very similar this June, in terms of departures. Its not like NYC is -4 and everyone else is +2.

They are very close.

All the NYC stations, EWR, NYC, LGA and JFK are fairly similar to eachother, in terms of departures. No one is much hotter or much colder.

Agree. But NYC and EWR are running very similar this June, in terms of departures. Its not like NYC is -4 and everyone else is +2.

They are very close.

All the NYC stations, EWR, NYC, LGA and JFK are fairly similar to eachother, in terms of departures. No one is much hotter or much colder.

I mean just look at the 3 stations that are located within miles of eachother:

Average monthly temp through June 26:

NYC: 77.5

LGA: 78.4

JFK: 77.3

That's true in this part of NE NJ as well - there's lots of forests and trees here, more than places further SW towards Teterboro and Newark, but temperatures still usually end up warmer than Central Park during the bigger warm spells, not quite as warm as Newark but often closer to Newark than Central Park.

Yeah. The potential for heavy tstorms on Friday are the big player here.

If the timing is early Friday morning, like the NAM has, a heavy downpour can easily drop the temps into the low 60's, even upper 50's. So even a high of 95-98 is only a +6 to +8 departure instead of a +12 to +14 departure.

Will be so close for NYC and even EWR...Depends on the low temps.

There is no potential for "heavy thunderstorms"...maybe a few showers or thundershowers

Joe B last night:

"NYC is 1 below normal for month and was 10 below normal today. The "hot shot" there did not erase 5 days of cool before, neither will this"

Not sure what the forecast is, but it will be close for the park. Heat dome just to our southwest is breaking some all time records, it will push north in pulses and at best storms will bring us down to avg before the next spike comes north. The park will represent the cooler areas of NYC not the majority.

Archived