Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like at some point in the late 90's LGA started to overtake the park. Queens has looked the same for 40+ years so that can't be affecting LGA.

central park went from regularly having more 90 degree days than lga to regularly having fewer

2010 was an embarrassing display by the central park ASOS. You would have thought looking at the # of 90 degree days there that it was just another regular summer when in reality it was hot as balls.

The TV news were mostly relying on the Central Park number of 90+ degree days to represent the summer. I saw local mets talking about a "possible 35th 90+ degree day" or something around that - I was already approaching 50 by that time and I'm really not that far from the park.

850 temps at 12z were pretty close to what the 00z nam showed for the same time last night. let's give it a few hours before declaring bust

but not as high as was modeled a few days ago, i doubt the 20-22c 850 temps verify. I believe the euro has 21c IIRC.

I'm hearing about a power outage now in Astoria Queens. Temps around 90 and we have power outages? Either our grid is garbage or the media has hyped the heat so much people are acting like it's 110. Probably a combination of both.

maybe it was when central park went AOS in 1996?...

Could be. But if that's the case then there is a calibration issue. Whether the issue was the manual readings or the ASOS I don't know. Could be something entirely else too. It's just strange.

Newark and JFK were up to 93 at 11am...Central Park at 88.

To be fair LGA is at 89 at 11am so it makes the park's number a little less fantastic. Though the airport is reporting a northwest wind at 14mph so the East River could have something to do with LGA's slightly cooler reading. The instrumentation is so close to the water that you can throw a rock from it and you'll hit water.

interesting variability... there were actually years where central park beat newark or they were tied. that hasn't happened since 1980. and look at 2006 and 2007, lol

It seems like from around the late 90's on LGA really pulled ahead of Central Park.

I guess that's when the foliage grew tall enough to make a difference.

EWR and JFK are both at 93 and most readings are in the low 90s. Yesterday's highs were achieved fairly early then leveled off so we have plenty of time to get to 98-100. I do think EWR hits 100 today.

850 temps at 12z were pretty close to what the 00z nam showed for the same time last night. let's give it a few hours before declaring bust

EWR and JFK are both at 93 and most readings are in the low 90s. Yesterday's highs were achieved fairly early then leveled off so we have plenty of time to get to 98-100. I do think EWR hits 100 today.

Actually LGA, KNYC and JFK achieved their highs pretty late, like 4pm+

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1241 PM EDT THU JUN 21 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT KENNEDY NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 96 DEGREES WAS SET AT KENNEDY NY

TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 95 SET IN 1988.

THIS RECORD REPORT WILL BE UPDATED AFTER 430PM EDT WHEN THE

AFTERNOON CLIMATE REPORT IS ISSUED.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1241 PM EDT THU JUN 21 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT KENNEDY NY...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 96 DEGREES WAS SET AT KENNEDY NY

TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 95 SET IN 1988.

THIS RECORD REPORT WILL BE UPDATED AFTER 430PM EDT WHEN THE

AFTERNOON CLIMATE REPORT IS ISSUED.

that's what a nw wind will do to the southern part of Queens and Brooklyn...I used to get my hottest temperatures on nw winds when I lived in Brooklyn...

that's what a nw wind will do to the southern part of Queens and Brooklyn...I used to get my hottest temperatures on nw winds when I lived in Brooklyn...

Absolutely. That's what's keeping LGA at 93 still as well.

Archived