• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

It didn't hit me as badly when I walked out this morning compared to yesterday, despite my house being a refrigerator. I guess I got used to it.

Looks like LGA, KNYC, and even JFK stayed above 80 last night. Actually they all bottomed out at 80 itself.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Central Park was reporting 92, a radio station was reporting that Times Square was 101 at the same time lol.. I was wondering where is that thermo placed? Are their buildings, cars, people, streets etc, surrounding this therm?

Since when did this become a discussion about official NWS stations vs. unofficial reporting stations? Just because the 101 degrees may not be valid does not make Central Park's 92 degrees representative of the whole city especially considering that a lot of the official and unofficial stations around, even here in the vegetation-filled eastern Bergen county, easily passed 95 degrees.

You guys think people think it only got up to 93 yesterday because the park failed miserably to accurately show the area's temps? That high yesterday was pretty pathetic. They hear it on the news and think that is what the region maxed out at. No one seems to make it clear on the news either that reading is only good for the central part of the park under heavy greenery.

Most of the millions in the city arent in the park. 98 here in C-NJ. The park will run lower on wet years because the growth - its been talked about on here many times. Its not an accurate depiction of the city in heat waves.

this argument has been going on for years...If all observations were taken from a park in your area temperatures would be a little lower...there are places in the city where temperatures are higher than official readings...the subway is one place I don't want to be in today...

this argument has been going on for years...If all observations were taken from a park in your area temperatures would be a little lower...there are places in the city where temperatures are higher than official readings...the subway is one place I don't want to be in today...

Yeah - i think its not so much the accuarcy of the temps at the location its the park being used as a center or representation of the area on news, radio media etc. 85 800am.

0z euro came back with the big closed ULL. With the -nao it lingers for the entire period from Sunday through the remainder of June.

The ensembles are even stronger with it and more south.

It's now looking likely that we will be dealing with a huge trough and a trapped closed ULL.

0z euro came back with the big closed ULL. With the -nao it lingers for the entire period from Sunday through the remainder of June.

It's now looking likely that we will be dealing with a huge trough and a trapped closed ULL.

Music to my ears. One more day of this garbage then storms tomorrow.

serenity

another day where central park is 4-5f lower than everyone else

As much as I'm against any type of tree cutting/pruning or general removal of greenery, something needs to be done around that ASOS. This is ridiculous.

another day where central park is 4-5f lower than everyone else

As much as I'm against any type of tree cutting/pruning or general removal of greenery, something needs to be done around that ASOS. This is ridiculous.

LGA is 85 degrees. Central Park is 84. So its fine right now. We'll see the effects of the vegetation later.

Even yesterday wasnt a crazy difference. NYC hit 94, LGA hit 98 and JFK hit 94.

I noticed that, it also takes the mess in the Southern Gulf and spins it up to a 1000mb tropical low which slams into NW Florida around day 7 as the trough brings it north. Odds are we would end up with some of the after mess.

Yes, once you get out of the park to surrounding areas temps will read warmer with more concrete, buildings, cars and and people in today's world. But how long have readings been taken at CPK? Where is the thermo located today at CPK? Is it somewhat in the same location it was 30-50 + years ago? Has there always been vagetation in CPK? A record wasn't broken THERE yesterday. Its silly to try to discredit CPK readings.

Yes, once you get out of the park to surrounding areas temps will read warmer with more concrete, buildings, cars and and people in today's world. But how long have readings been taken at CPK? Where is the thermo located today at CPK? Is it somewhat in the same location it was 30-50 + years ago? Has there always been vagetation in CPK? A record wasn't broken THERE yesterday. Its silly to try to discredit CPK readings.

Not discrediting the actual area and the temps. But it definitely doesnt represent Manhattan or the surrounding area accurately. The news reporters say that NYC hit 94 yesterday and that's not accurate at all. The lush Central park hit only 94 but 99% of the city and the surrounding areas were all 97-99 degrees.

Manhattan, outside of Central Park, was most certainly 97-98 degrees yesterday as were the surrounding areas of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

3 official stations, EWR, LGA and JFK, all broke their daily record highs yesterday.

Not discrediting the actual area and the temps. But it definitely doesnt represent Manhattan or the surrounding area accurately. The news reporters say that NYC hit 94 yesterday and that's not accurate at all. The lush Central park hit only 94 but 99% of the city and the surrounding areas were all 97-99 degrees.

Manhattan, outside of Central Park, was most certainly 97-98 degrees yesterday as were the surrounding areas of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx.

3 official stations, EWR, LGA and JFK, all broke their daily record highs yesterday.

Where is it written it has to be representative of the city? What is representative? you have a lot of real estate to cover in the city, from the two rivers, to the center of the city, to top of buildings, to shaded alley ways. Where is the representative spot? It is the temperature reported at central park yesterday. nothing more, nothing less. If it wasn't a record for the park, it wasn't a record.

It's not like it reported 32 and snow, its was 94 degrees, and extrememly hot.

They should trim back the vegetation aren't the central park reporting station.

Or they should just move it to a differnt location.

Archived