Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

relax, it has not even started, enjoy the heat...but it will be back, its not going to be that cold next week...more like normal, lots of wishful thinking

CPC's new 6-10 day outlook does show below normal. This could be the hottest part of the summer.

Joe B Typhoon recurve rule works wonders. Major trough in the east in about 6-8 days..models pick up on it more as we get closer.

CPC's new 6-10 day outlook does show below normal. This could be the hottest part of the summer.

one analog that has been talked about this Spring and Summer is 1965...The hottest part of that year was the last week in June...this year could be a wetter version of 1965...

relax, it has not even started, enjoy the heat...but it will be back, its not going to be that cold next week...more like normal, lots of wishful thinking

Didn't you already say "wishful thinking" about two weeks ago when folks were talking about below normal temps coming?

It's similar to forecasting a blizzard -- a highly anomalous event. You'll rarely hear meteorologists forecasting 1-2ft+ accumulations more than 24 hours in advance of a storm, because it's such a deviation from climatology. In this case, average temps are in the low 80s, so a high of 100F is a significant event, and thus it's very risky to forecast it more than 1-2 days out. We can talk about potentials here on the weather board well in advance, but I think if we had to put a forecast out to the public, we'd also start them off w/ low 90s, then gradually trend upwards as confidence increases closer to the time period.

There's a bit of a difference between 1-2 feet of snow and 100 degrees. Busting too high on the temperature will not have many consequences (so what if it's only 95 when it was supposed to be 100, it's still hot). Busting too high for snow has more consequences since it will annoy those who prepared for a lot of snow that didn't fall.

Latest Newark outlook by Upton... missed the 100 mark twice by just 1 degree. If anything, I'm even more confident someone in the area could break 100 degrees.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 99. West wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 75. West wind between 5 and 11 mph.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 99. Northwest wind between 7 and 13 mph.

Last nights euro was also colder with a deeper trough for next week. Ensembles were a little less aggressive but still similar.

Yeah thats 3 runs in a row the euro has that signal and even though the gfs is less impressive with the trough it still has sort of upper cut off over new england tue - fri (6/26 - 6/30) next week. Likey safe to say tue - fr the last 4 days of June will be unsetteled and take us back some on the departures. I still dont think we see impressive cool lke we have the last couple of days. Lets see where we head with today's guidance.

I wonder if the month will end slightly below normal, I guess it all depends on how hot it gets for the next 3 days and then if the last few days end up below normal. Where do we stand right now for the month?

-2.5 for the 18days...around a -45 departure...Today's temps might add to the negative...we probably will see a below average June...probably -0.5 to -1.0...

I wonder if the month will end slightly below normal, I guess it all depends on how hot it gets for the next 3 days and then if the last few days end up below normal. Where do we stand right now for the month?

-2.5 for the 18days...around a -45 departure...Today's temps might add to the negative...we probably will see a below average June...probably -0.5 to -1.0...

It all depends on the extent of the Heat wave. If tomorrow and Thursday both hit 98 degrees with only 80 degree lows, then we are talking about -15 to -20 departures. Then add in the warming trend for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and there is a chance we wipe out all of the -45 to -50 departure in these next 5 days.

But we might be able to make it up for the last week of June with the big trough and ULL that the ensembles are advertising.

Archived