Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So close, why not just say 100 degrees. 99 degrees and 100 degrees feels the same.

Because they're not forecasting what it will feel like, they're forecasting the high. If they think it will be 99F, it is because they think it will be 99F. Would it make sense if you thought the temperature would drop to 33F to just call it 32F since they're "so close"? :lol:

Sidenote: Newark's forecast is now 96F for Wednesday and 95F for Thursday from that link.

It's interesting seeing clearing working east in NE-NJ and clouds building in from the west. Quite cool the last 2 days. Luckily the kids got me a new fire pit for faters day. Used it last night and felt like it was late september.

On rainy days, there will be some steep negative departures for the day 6-15 period and the rest of the days will be normal to slightly above normal. I would give it greater then a 50% chance at a negative departure June.

I agree with that 50% chance. I think it comes down to this coming weekend and if we can maintain the above normal before the trough comes in 25/26th - 30th. GFS and ECm switched again and the gfs doesnt really dig the trough for more than a day and keeps it near normal through the end of the month. ECM a bit cooler durnig the period which as you noted would feature additional chances for rain and storms/clouds. Both models seem to indicate high heat is near by and could build in at times the first week of July.

4th consecutive morning in the low 50s, 52F last night. Impressive going into late June. Usually lows are consistently in the 60s by this time of year.

This is quite an impressive streak, got down to 55.3F in the hilly interior of Westchester which usually doesn't radiate well. I've gotten into the 50s the past three nights so it's been rather comfortable sleeping weather. Not looking forward to 96/71 Wednesday and Thursday.

Because they're not forecasting what it will feel like, they're forecasting the high. If they think it will be 99F, it is because they think it will be 99F. Would it make sense if you thought the temperature would drop to 33F to just call it 32F since they're "so close"? :lol:

Sidenote: Newark's forecast is now 96F for Wednesday and 95F for Thursday from that link.

I've noticed that they are reluctant to forecast over 100 degrees. Even last year on the 108 degree day, I remember seeing a forecast of "upper 90s" until the day before, even when the models showed that we would easily cross 100.

I've noticed that they are reluctant to forecast over 100 degrees. Even last year on the 108 degree day, I remember seeing a forecast of "upper 90s" until the day before, even when the models showed that we would easily cross 100.

It's similar to forecasting a blizzard -- a highly anomalous event. You'll rarely hear meteorologists forecasting 1-2ft+ accumulations more than 24 hours in advance of a storm, because it's such a deviation from climatology. In this case, average temps are in the low 80s, so a high of 100F is a significant event, and thus it's very risky to forecast it more than 1-2 days out. We can talk about potentials here on the weather board well in advance, but I think if we had to put a forecast out to the public, we'd also start them off w/ low 90s, then gradually trend upwards as confidence increases closer to the time period.

The NY area stations seem to be going with 92-93 Wednesday and 95-97 on Thursday. That 92 seems on the low side and would barely qualify as a 'heat wave'

It's similar to forecasting a blizzard -- a highly anomalous event. You'll rarely hear meteorologists forecasting 1-2ft+ accumulations more than 24 hours in advance of a storm, because it's such a deviation from climatology. In this case, average temps are in the low 80s, so a high of 100F is a significant event, and thus it's very risky to forecast it more than 1-2 days out. We can talk about potentials here on the weather board well in advance, but I think if we had to put a forecast out to the public, we'd also start them off w/ low 90s, then gradually trend upwards as confidence increases closer to the time period.

12PM Roundup . Impressive cool, in 48 hours it'll be interesting to compare

TEB: 68

NYC: 68

EWR: 66

LGA: 68

JFK: 66

TTN: 66

Yeah, I've recorded 5 days with a high temp < 70.0F this month, which is pretty impressive (and 15/18 days with low temps below 60). We'll see if today's #6. I'm at 68F and mostly cloudy right now.

Yeah, I've recorded 5 days with a high temp < 70.0F this month, which is pretty impressive (and 15/18 days with low temps below 60). We'll see if today's #6. I'm at 68F and mostly cloudy right now.

1965 had a prolonged cool spell around this time and then a heat wave a few days later...The early 1960's had quick turn a rounds from cool to hot...

date.......max...min

6/08/61...79 59

6/13/61...96 75

6/15/61...66 54

6/13/62...73 56

6/14/62...71 53

6/16/62...91 62

6/22/63...79 54

6/25/63...95 68

6/16/64...71 59

6/17/64...80 53

6/20/64...93 73

6/18/65...73 56

6/19/65...80 55

6/21/65...90 66

The NY area stations seem to be going with 92-93 Wednesday and 95-97 on Thursday. That 92 seems on the low side and would barely qualify as a 'heat wave'

99+ to me is a heat wave. 92 would just be hot for me, something about 99 degrees or higher that just sounds like sizzling hot lol.....but the nam showing 102 :sizzle: thats where im gonna be during wednesday

99+ to me is a heat wave. 92 would just be hot for me, something about 99 degrees or higher that just sounds like sizzling hot lol.....but the nam showing 102 :sizzle: thats where im gonna be during wednesday

95+ on the south shore of LI is pretty doubtful, just like severe wx, the ocean kills us.

95+ on the south shore of LI is pretty doubtful, just like severe wx, the ocean kills us.

oh yea while the city will be upper 90's or over 100 wednesday we'll be at best in hot spots upper 80's. the usual coastal shaft will rear its ugly head......AGAIN! lol......and where have the storms been?

oh yea while the city will be upper 90's or over 100 wednesday we'll be at best in hot spots upper 80's. the usual coastal shaft will rear its ugly head......AGAIN! lol......and where have the storms been?

The storms have been either over Earthlight or the usual "North and West" of us. Lol

eh...not quite, with a strong west flow over the land LI can easily bake in the mid-upper 90's...

Upton supports adding a heat advisory with their HWO... with highs in the upper 90s and dew points close to 70 degrees the heat index should have no problem reaching the 100s for some.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

A BLAST OF HIGH HEAT AND HUMIDITY IS EXPECTED ON WEDNESDAY AND

THURSDAY. WIDESPREAD HIGH TEMPERATURES IN THE MID TO UPPER 90S

COMBINED WITH DEWPOINTS IN THE UPPER 60S WILL RESULT IN HEAT

INDICES IN THE 100 TO 104 DEGREE RANGE DURING THE AFTERNOON AND

EARLY EVENING BOTH DAYS. A HEAT ADVISORY WILL LIKELY BE NEEDED

DURING THIS TIME.

Archived