• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

Just about to post the same - as we get closer seems guidance is getting warmer...

It's just one run, but are those 20+C 850s coming in a week? The GFS no longer always labels the lines. That would be mid to upper 90s maybe? Some heat returns later, but doesn't look as severe.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just one run, but are those 20+C 850s coming in a week? The GFS no longer always labels the lines. That would be mid to upper 90s maybe? Some heat returns later, but doesn't look as severe.

There's been several runs hinting at the potential to bake wed - fri. This run certainly implies that and really remains warm throughout the rest of the run.

There's been several runs hinting at the potential to bake wed - fri.  This run certainly implies that and really remains warm throughout the rest of the run.

Just like in the winter, we have to see if the trend holds. Though summer heat is more common than winter cold anymore. At least it just looks like a short extreme phase. How hot are temps on this GFS run?

Just like in the winter, we have to see if the trend holds. Though summer heat is more common than winter cold anymore. At least it just looks like a short extreme phase. How hot are temps on this GFS run?

GFS shows mid-upper 90s on Wednesday and Thursday north/west of the city, although from what I've observed when heat potentials verify, it tends to have a slight cool bias when forecasting heat. Friday also reaches 90 degrees ahead of a cold front.

GFS shows mid-upper 90s on Wednesday and Thursday north/west of the city, although from what I've observed when heat potentials verify, it tends to have a slight cool bias when forecasting heat. Friday also reaches 90 degrees ahead of a cold front.

Sounds like this might be an exception to that cool bias with those temps.

Maybe some severe Wx next Fridaty with the cold front?

I think the next heat surge waits a little longer than 0z Euro op has. The 0z Euro ensemble mean, still has deeper trough over the East Coast, for next weekend:

post-187-0-66101900-1339761471_thumb.gif

Are you referring to the next potential heat signal after next week (post 6/23)?

I still don't understand this fascination with big time heat, it's not like anyone can even be outside to enjoy near 100 degree weather anyway or would want to, unless your going to the beach or pool, which I doubt since the major heat will be during the week.

The historical value is what I'm guessing a lot of people are looking forward to.

LA Story in NYC continues this weekend

Just unreal out there today. Makes you want to play

People must like sitting in air conditioning enclosed inside somewhere since they're hoping for 100 degrees. I rather have 70-85, bone dry, partly cloudy skies, and a 10-15 mph breeze to actually do stuff outdoors and enjoy nature. But whatever none of us can control the weather so who cares what people want.

Are you referring to the next potential heat signal after next week (post 6/23)?

Yes. I think need another heat surge may be on the way at the end of month. Or maybe longer if the GEFS is right.

As for next week, 594dm ridge is showing up on the 6z GEFS. I'm always concerned about models handle troughs over SE Canada and the Western Atlantic. But don't think there is much backdoor front potential showing up on the models. The shortwave Euro had closing over Canadian Maritimes, seemed to be an outlier. The overall model trend for now, is for the trough/cut-off to lift out faster and ridge to build over Eastern US, next week. The Wednesday thru Friday period, is looking to be hottest on the Euro and GFS. With high temps 95-100F possible, for the inland spots.

post-187-0-92707200-1339765761_thumb.gif

People must like sitting in air conditioning enclosed inside somewhere since they're hoping for 100 degrees. I rather have 70-85, bone dry, partly cloudy skies, and a 10-15 mph breeze to actually do stuff outdoors and enjoy nature. But whatever none of us can control the weather so who cares what people want.

In all fairness 75-80 degrees sucks on the beaches. For a great beach day, both north and south shores, you really need 90-95 degree temps, since its always cooler by the shore. Also, the water temps are very chilly to swim in right now and big heat will give it a nice temperature rise to make it enjoyable.

Last Sunday on the North Fork was nearly impossible to enjoy a dip. Water was in the low 60's and trying to swim was excruciating.

But I agree, unless you have access to a pool or a beach, big heat of 90+ degrees is useless for outdoor activities.

Being that I go to the North Fork beaches of LI every single weekend, I'm hoping for 90+ degrees every weekend from now until late August and and 75-80 degrees during the week while stuck at work.

I enjoy the heat and to me the hotter the better in the summer. But I do appreciate those that dont - to each his own. I am a snow in the winter heat in the summer kind of guy. Im not a big fan of spring or fall. But today is very nice and I tell you it seems we've had so many of these types of days since March unlike any other year i can remember.

Both are nice to me, but 100+ degrees never stopped me from doing anything. I don't even have AC.

It feels so nice out right now.

Big heat signal coming up...starts to warm Tuesday, but WED/THU look downright hot. 850s over 20C, could see widespread 95+

Agree, 12z GFS now goes bonkers with the heat surge, beginning Tuesday. We'll be into the +18c 850mb temps, actually increasing by Tuesday afternoon. I'm thinking widespread low 90s Tuesday, isolated mid 90s. Wed-Thurs should be widespread mid 90s with pockets of near 100F. Depending on cloud cover, Friday may also be 90. Say goodbye to the negative June departures right now.

Archived