Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And it's warmer than the last sounding run

Verbatim, the 12z GFS only has borderline 90 degrees for 1 day in NYC. Sounding shows 88-90 degrees for next Thursday.

Wednesday's high is 85 degrees and next Friday is low 80's.

Its warmer for Wed-Fri for the interior and northern areas though. Pushing 90 all 3 days.

6z Run had Thursday and Friday right near 90 degrees.

12z ECM is still hot as earthlight mentioned, but with this pattern we still need to be on the lookout for any back door cold front that pops up... these BDCFs have been underestimated in the medium range in previous warm spell potentials, and while I have little doubt that at least some heat will move into the region, there could still be some back door cold front that shows up on future runs and reduces this heat potential. The BDCF is still just a possible scenario, and if the heat does end up uninterrupted, which would be the first time it's happened this month, temperatures would easily get into the 90s without a problem away from the coast.

Hour 168 on the ECM appears to show a weak BDCF nearby:

f168.gif

12z ECM is still hot as earthlight mentioned, but with this pattern we still need to be on the lookout for any back door cold front that pops up... these BDCFs have been underestimated in the medium range in previous warm spell potentials, and while I have little doubt that at least some heat will move into the region, there could still be some back door cold front that shows up on future runs and reduces this heat potential. The BDCF is still just a possible scenario, and if the heat does end up uninterrupted, which would be the first time it's happened this month, temperatures would easily get into the 90s without a problem away from the coast.

Hour 168 on the ECM appears to show a weak BDCF nearby:

f168.gif

Definitely agree with being cautious about surging heat in with low heights northeast of us. It's been our downfall so far most of the late spring and could be again. I'd much rather see a flatter flow and westerlies. It's not hard to sneak a backdoor front through and sock us in with easterlies, even now.

Freakin perfect outside right now.

Very nice LA-like weather. Im enjoying it very much! Still enjoy the heat in the summer but this is quite enjoyable especially when we have multiple days of it. Speaking of perfect id say the image in your user profile is darn close - I may be rooting for Holland from now on. :whistle:

The Euro ensemble mean is not showing the backdoor that the OP was today.

I dont think the backdoor was much of an issue on the op for areas from NYC on south. Looks like a 3 day period of heat to help get back to normal for the monthly departures. Notice the trough coming around the 23rd seems not as deep as prior guidance. Still a long way to go and with the threat of backdoor, it'll be interesting to track the seasons potential first heat wave.

Even the Euro OP if taken literally probably doesn't bring a big BDCF problem to us. But its the trends that need to be watched. We've seen those cutoffs wreak havoc on heatwave potential all year long (so far). But seeing the ensembles that bullish is definitely a good sign.

Very nice LA-like weather. Im enjoying it very much! Still enjoy the heat in the summer but this is quite enjoyable especially when we have multiple days of it. Speaking of perfect id say the image in your user profile is darn close - I may be rooting for Holland from now on. :whistle:

haha thanks. The dutch team has completely collapsed like ive never seen happen before, so you are better off routing for spain, even though their women are not as attractive.

Tomorrow looking like a good beach day, nice offshore flow, i may do some job hunting at Jones Beach...

haha thanks. The dutch team has completely collapsed like ive never seen happen before, so you are better off routing for spain, even though their women are not as attractive.

Tomorrow looking like a good beach day, nice offshore flow, i may do some job hunting at Jones Beach...

?? Everyday until Tuesday has east winds forecasted. Today were east winds 15-25mph.

East winds are not good beach days anywhere on LI or NJ shore. LI Sound is choppy and brown, Ocean has big waves on outgoing tide and the Jersey shore has winds in their face and also choppy and bad water conditions.

I'm pissed about it because it makes fishing on a boat annoying. Bad chop and wind against tides on the outgoing tides.

Even the Euro OP if taken literally probably doesn't bring a big BDCF problem to us. But its the trends that need to be watched. We've seen those cutoffs wreak havoc on heatwave potential all year long (so far). But seeing the ensembles that bullish is definitely a good sign.

there's going to be a warm front dangled somewhere near us

?? Everyday until Tuesday has east winds forecasted. Today were east winds 15-25mph.

East winds are not good beach days anywhere on LI or NJ shore. LI Sound is choppy and brown, Ocean has big waves on outgoing tide and the Jersey shore has winds in their face and also choppy and bad water conditions.

I'm pissed about it because it makes fishing on a boat annoying. Bad chop and wind against tides on the outgoing tides.

winds tomorrow are NE, not east, which is actually relatively warm for south facing shores...as opposed to a southerly sea breeze...

18z GFS trended to an 0z ECM-like heat scenario (slightly less extreme though) with at least 2 very hot days, with the offshore ULL further away from the region this run. With the amount of time left there's still the possibility that something could go wrong, but so far it appears to be the best heat potential we've had so far.

f174.gif

Archived