Total Members
    Most Online
    Monty
    Newest Member
    Monty
June observations and discussions...

ag3

That's what I said but you quoted me before I finished. ^_^

This post 2010 climo is much warmer here than years that we have seen before.

The SST's are well above normal off the coast here so even when we get an onshore

flow the low temperatures underperform.

Im curious if 2003 was similar? Are you able to post that June.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like light rain starts tomorrow afternoon/evening and lasts through Wednesday afternoon/evening with the bulk of the rain falling Wednesday early morning.

For you job and winterwarlock, tomorrow morning and early afternoon might be doable. Wednesday looks like a washout, especially in the morning hours.

Thank you so much al...i appreciate it so much

Nam will likely cut back tomorrow as it often does right before the event--either way, I'd lock in a good inch areawide....

12z GFS cut back. It barely has .50" into NYC. .25" for LI. Keeps the heaviest axis well west of us and into Central PA.

Euro?

0z Euro has about .625-.75" for NYC and for your area.

The big totals of well over 1" to as much as 2" are confined to mid and south Jersey, especially ACY to Cape May.

6z GFS is 1.25"-1.50" for the NYC area.

6z NAM is right around 1" for NYC and more north.

Pwats are over 2.00" tomorrow...I wouldnt take model qpf verbatim, looks like tere should be pockets of very heavy rainfall rates with this event, and localized flash flooding possible

Pwats are over 2.00" tomorrow...I wouldnt take model qpf verbatim, looks like tere should be pockets of very heavy rainfall rates with this event, and localized flash flooding possible

funny to see QPF fetishes carry over from winter to summer. It's gonna pour, and whether we get 1.5 or 2, its gonna be wet and ugly.

Being that the 12z euro is in line with the NAM and Pwats, its highly likely a nice soaking of 1.50"+ is on the way.

Being that the 12z euro is in line with the NAM and Pwats, its highly likely a nice soaking of 1.50"+ is on the way.

Agreed and stil think if this trends a certain way it would be for a wetter solution. Seen this setup too many times and its usually very wet.

Looks like the 12 ecm backed off the 00z solution building heat next weekend/week. Been back and forth for the last 3 days.

It's going to be a slow process getting any real warmth in here. The blocking pattern has been

so strong that the models may be trying to break down the effects too soon. Check out how

the Euro ensemble mean keeps pushing the warmer weather further out in time. As we get

closer to the end of it's 6-10 day range, it starts seeing more troughing just off the NE Coast.

Even with all this blocking, NYC has only managed 5/11 negative departures for June, and 2 of those 5 were -1 days, so really only 3 solid negatives. I agree though we're only looking at near to slightly above normal departures through D7. But I think it'll be fairly easy to finish this month +, given the NAO is already relaxing, and the coolest temp departures are probably done for June.

m1_48h_nec.gif

" Observed Not observed Forecast a (hit) b (false alarm) Not Forecast c (miss) d (correct rejection)

In the following discussion, N=a+b+c+d. The computation of the performances measures displayed is described below:

1. Equitable Threat Score = the number of correct forecasts minus number expected by chance divided by the same quantity plus the number of erroneous forecasts = [a - (a+B)(a+c)/N] / [a + b + c - (a+B)(a+c)/N]. This score ranges from less than 0 to 1; a perfect score is 1.
  2. Bias = the ratio of the total number forecast to the total number observed = (a+B) / (a+c).

In the graphs, the bias values are plotted along the axis on the right side of the plot."

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/rgnscr/verify.html

the graph is for 48 hours. you can see the euro is king for .10" to 1" events, with the nam and gfs doing a tradeoff as the precip increases

Clouds really hung tough today especially in NE-NJ/NYC keeping temps lower. Depsite the clouds and cooler temps it looks like we're still in the black with stations having positive daily departures.

High low (dep)

NYC: 77/66 (+2)

EWR: 75/68 (+1)

LGA: 78/67 (+2)

JFK:

TTN: 79/64 (+3)

Archived