sambakken
    Newest Member
    sambakken
CFS Long Range (as in Winter)

mitchnick

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kammarer is from Herndon and I believe was in Philly prior to WRC. So he is probably good on area climate.

ahh. ok. he seems to always be in the snowy camp which seems like a mistake around here.

my thoughts on tv guys are mixed. i'd wager an enthusiast like matt knows way more about our climo than most of them though.

It is pretty obvious Jason wishes I had gone cold and snowy...

heh. everyone loves winter forecasts around here for some reason. we are a region that likes pain apparently. ;)

just wait till you win. :D

Maybe for you, but we were rockin' in the southern Mid-Atl. wink.png Pretty much all December long.

true. and if for some reason boxing day had performed here we'd remember the winter differently. one storm can be so critical here to define good v bad.

true. and if for some reason boxing day had performed here we'd remember the winter differently. one storm can be so critical here to define good v bad.

This is definitely true. If we had actually gotten what the GFS was teasing us with just before the Boxing Day storm, combined with Commutageddon at the end of January, I think most everyone here would have called 2010-11 a pretty good winter. I've always felt the same about 2006-07, which in many ways is looked at kind of negatively. Yeah, it was warm for the first half and we didn't get much snow for the season, but from about mid-end of January through March, it was quite cold. Had the Valentine's Day storm hammered us, that would be considered a far more "successful" winter as well (especially with the brutally cold February). For awhile, it sure looked good for the V-Day storm, too, until it decided to go into the Ohio valley and dump 3" sleet on us instead. I'd also argue similarly about 2004-05, some very good potential in a cold winter, but I seem to recall we underperformed on a couple or three storms.

Yup, one really good storm here can pretty much give us our seasonal average, and make the difference between perceived "good" and "bad."

FYI...nino is dead

Not good.

What do you think about 1953-54 as an analog. I'm with you on your thoughts for December in the Mid Atlantic...snooze... is it possible we see most of our winter in January instead of February or do you think there is enough of an El Niño left?

Not good.

What do you think about 1953-54 as an analog. I'm with you on your thoughts for December in the Mid Atlantic...snooze... is it possible we see most of our winter in January instead of February or do you think there is enough of an El Niño left?

I pretty much ignored it because it was the 3rd year of a warm enso period....But the AO/NAO doesn't really look like this winter.......Plus I don't think February will torch....so I don't like it..Of course I could be way wrong....

CFS for the past few weeks has been showing a fairly wet JAN and FEB

here's today's monthly forecast

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/CFSv2/htmls/usPrece3Mon.html

I'll take my chances if it can be that wet

aside from 97/98, I can't recall many above normal precip winters that were much below normal snowfall, but I haven't looked closely

this, of course, assumes the CFS forecast will come close to verifying

CFS for the past few weeks has been showing a fairly wet JAN and FEB

here's today's monthly forecast

http://www.cpc.ncep....sPrece3Mon.html

I'll take my chances if it can be that wet

aside from 97/98, I can't recall many above normal precip winters that were much below normal snowfall, but I haven't looked closely

this, of course, assumes the CFS forecast will come close to verifying

Our two least snowy winters on record had below normal snowfall.

1973-1974 and 97-98. The CFS2 temp and precip combo for Jan does look good for us if it is right (a big if).

Our two least snowy winters on record had below normal snowfall.

1973-1974 and 97-98. The CFS2 temp and precip combo for Jan does look good for us if it is right (a big if).

I had erased the winter of 72/73 completely out of my mind lol

but it does make sense that 72/73 was wet in light of the strong NINO (ala 97/98)

since this year is not a strong NINO, IF the CFS2 precip forecast is correct odds would seem to favor we get, at least, average snowfall

and as you point out, IF the temp forecast is also close to being right, we'll go AN snowfall, but I'm not thinking that's likely right now.....just hoping like an 8 year old it is!

I pretty much ignored it because it was the 3rd year of a warm enso period....But the AO/NAO doesn't really look like this winter.......Plus I don't think February will torch....so I don't like it..Of course I could be way wrong....

Thanks. Yeah it's one of those analogs that comes up every once in a while in comparisons for the last 1.5 years. It certainly has been relative in recent weeks but it may lose its credibility as winter progresses.

I think most of the December threats are New England's (12/6-9 and approaching 12/20) but mid-December does look improved with the retrograding Pacific. January is starting to look pretty good.

I almost don't want to bring this up but it is remarkable how close enso has been this year compared to 06. The 2 years have been running almost identical so far with tri monthlies. Pretty much no chance of getting into nino status like 06 though. Then throw in 06 being similar with the new snowcover index and a weak nino coming out of a weak nina.....

And then when November NH 500 anoms look like this next to each other...

Please, no rocks. You can throw tomatoes all day but no rocks. lol

Archived